StudentsReview :: College of the Atlantic - Comments and Student Experiences

Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY

College of the Atlantic

Though the academics are superb and the classes

Sep 12 2014Other
Though the academics are superb and the classes are innovative and challenging the overall student experience is awful. Everyone stays in groups, you're constantly criticized for not being as environmentally friendly as they are, and above all else most seem to be racist. Not outwardly, but by their actions its obvious. If you are a white, middle class hippie you'll fit right in here. If not, while you may enjoy your classes day to day interaction will kill you.
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I wanted to go to COA because I

Sep 08 2014Unknown
I wanted to go to COA because I wanted to study so many things and knew I could do that here. The faculty and staff here are absolutely amazing. They will support you with just about anything and help you find connections anywhere. The social life is absolutely horrible but there are some psychos if your looking for a good time. But I wouldn't come here for a big social or party scene. The best thing about COA is definitely the education. You can literally do anything. I have traveled a lot and have never felt safer anywhere. Friends of mine have passed out drunk and actually were carried home by locals. It really is a community and this is both good and bad. The campus is beautiful you are on the water yet close to skii mountains. I would totally recommend anyone who goes here to stay a summer. The summer is absolutely amazing. It gets super busy and then you will have no problem finding parties and a social scene (just be careful of cops). The college is a very healthy environment. The food is usually local and organic and there is no soda or junk food. The college offers yoga and other classes as well as memberships to the ymca. Its a good school. Like I said the education cannot be beat but socially theres not much.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D-

COA is the only school I applied to

Sep 25 2014Art & Design Department
COA is the only school I applied to. I stepped onto campus as a visiting high school student and knew, this was the place for me. The faculty and staff at the college are welcoming and helpful, they care about students and show it. The classes are challenging, if you want them to be. It's all what you make of it. Of course you can skate by doing the bare minimum or you can the assigned reading and more. Faculty members encourage students to discover what they are interested in. COA gives students the chance to create Independent Studies and Group Studies, where students design the course they want to take, everything for what they will learn, how they will learn it and how they will be evaluated. I think the education I have received at College of the Atlantic is incredibly valuable and I would recommend the school to anyone. As far as the social scene is considered COA is a community. COA is a very small school, everyone knows everyone. The parties can be fun, especially in the winter. Don't think COA is a big party school however. If you're looking for a good time though, it's here. We have Acadia National Park in our backyard! Even as someone who doesn't like to hike or be outside for too long, I go the park almost every day. Always out adventuring. COA is an adventure and you'll meet some of the most amazing people here. The students are COA are individuals with passion and creativity.
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C+