StudentsReview :: The Saint Joseph's College of Maine - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Joseph College -- West Hartford, CT
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Joseph's University -- Philadelphia, PA

In my experience at Saint Joseph's College ofJournalism
In my experience at Saint Joseph's College of Maine, I have found that my educational experience is holistic. The college caters to educating and developing the whole person, not just only mentally or physically.

The academic program at Saint Joseph's College (especially within the Honors Program course of study) has been very challenging and engaging, often opting to teach through interactive dialogue rather than through lecture-based oration. The program in Communications with the concentration in Journalism has been truly challenging, but also timely and current. The faculty teach and discuss the media in the 21st century, not how "they used to do news". Professor Yates and Hufstader talk about electronic media, on-line journalism, web-based publications, broadband and other innovations in the field, while also holding fast to the maxims and truths of journalism in both an ethical setting and practical understanding - all while taught in our brand new academic building. Other contributing members of the communications faculty still hold highly-ranked jobs within the journalism field, many of whom are reporters, columnists, and photographers at some of the most successful news media outlets in the state. It's nice to know that the faculty are continuing to "practice what they preach" and do so in a contemporary fashion; they are able to bring newly-acquired skill sets and combine that with a developed understanding of the subject into the classroom. Truly, I feel quite challenged and engaged academically.

Physically, I have been able to grow by participating in some of the intramural athletics and going out for runs along the college's well-developed and maintained Cross-Country trails (something I didn't even know that we had until this summer!). The college has a state-of-the-art athletic center (The Alfond Center) and is great to go for a workout, a run, or to play a game with some friends. Socially, the life here is pretty good. It's a small college, but if you use it to your advantage, it can be one of the best gifts and resources at the college. Personally, I just got involved in a lot of extracurricular activities and really got to know a lot of people. I feel like these are people who, in some cases, will be friends of mine for life. It's a small and comfortable atmosphere where "everybody knows your name" - and I've personally come to like that. Spiritually, the campus does very well with an active Campus Ministry program and highly-attended student evening mass on sundays. Fr. John and the Campus Ministry team are really exceptional people who really are concerned and invested in what all the students do, think, feel, and say.(if you've ever met them, you know what I mean). The college staff and faculty, as a whole, lend themselves to the students for questions, help, advice and support. All in all, I've felt like the college really keeps me as the student first and foremost in the center of my experience here. Saint Joseph's College of Maine is a great place to come and learn and grow - I wish everyone could have the experience I'm having during my four years!

School is filled with nice people.Quite BrightNursing
School is filled with nice people. Merit scholarships are given generously. Nursing program is excellent, including the clinical program starting in the sophomore year. School gets rated lower than it should for surrounding community. Standish/Windham is a small town that students don't love, but Portland, ME (one of the highest rated small cities in the country and number one rated by Outdoor Magazine) is less than 20 miles away.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: B-
I transferred to St.Not so brightReligion/Religious
I transferred to St. Joseph's College of Maine from another Roman Catholic college in Florida and I have been so impressed not only with the academic rigor of the Theological Studies BA program but also the quality of professor/student engagement and customer service from the staff and advisors. This college is top notch and doing a search have found that several St. Joseph's College grads even get into Ivy League colleges--which is impressive. I am so grateful for my program and for graduating this May, 2012. I will also be starting the Masters in Pastoral Theology program (MAPT) early this March; after I finish the MAPT I plan on going to finish my Masters of Divinity and then my PhD in Liturgy and Systematic Theology at a Catholic graduate school. The Theological Studies program academic rigor is rooted in the Roman Catholic scholastic tradition focused on St. Thomas Aquinas and Latin Church fathers along with the teaching of the contemporary Magisterium. This is a wonderful program and I would recommend it to any Catholic and non-Catholic who desires to dig deep the well of Roman Catholic theology and spirituality. This program comes from an orthodox Roman Catholic worldview--so do not expect a modernist or liberal Catholic exposition of doctrine. Get ready to grow in your Catholic faith in the heart of the Church.
1st Year Male -- Class 2012