StudentsReview :: Thomas College - Comments and Student Experiences

Thomas College

I went to this school because I wantedQuite BrightPsychology
I went to this school because I wanted a sense of community and a small school so I wouldn't get too overwhelmed with college. everyone knows each other at this school and that can be both a good and bad thing. You get to know your teachers very well since the class sizes are pretty small of around 20-30 students. I literally had an English class with eight people in it once. Academics according to the classes I take as a psych major I actually like. There is one teacher that works well with helping students understand concepts. She shows video clips from movies of examples of how people act with certain mental disabilities as well as other concepts so students can better understand. Also the school just recently started a psychology club which will hopefully bring more insight on that topic into the school. A really good thing in this major as well in Maine is that you can get a job in your field when you are still in school. Where I am from that isn't possible so I am going to apply for that this coming year.

Good things that made me want to come here:

They have REALLY good financial packages. I am a twin so money was a big thing since we were both going to college and my mom had to pay. I got a 6500 scholarship per semester and also a grant which leaves me with less than 10,000 to pay a semester.

Also they have a GJP (guaranteed job program) where if you do what they tell you--keep GPA up, community service, leadership events, resume etc.--then you will be guaranteed a job after graduation. If you don't get one in your field within 6 months they pay for you to take additional classes there.

Onto the Bad side....
The food is okay, but could be better....they have A LOT of pasta and burgers...so get used to that.

Also the social life could be better. they have a lot of free movie nights and they used to have bowling nights, but now that place is closing so no more of that. They have comedians and those are hit or miss. One literally made fun of something serious that was on the news with a young black man getting killed by the police and a lot of people left while he went on a rant about he can say what he wants.

The drama here is unreal like high school and since its a small school everyone knows every thing unless they are out of the loop. There aren't a lot of events on the weekends because majority of people go home since they live in Maine so getting somewhere without a car on campus on the weekends...you are stuck. I didn't have a car the first two years and it was terrible because I had to have people drive me places and to the train station when I had to go home because campus safety wouldn't do it.

BE AWARE of the weather in Maine. It can be very brutal...I'm talking like BAD snow storms. Winter is majority of the school year so bring a lot of warm clothes. It's nice for like the first couple of weeks, but after that....wear warm clothes. Also watch out for the sidewalks. I literally walked out of my door and slid and fell on ice because my RA failed to take care of it. One big thing for me that made my highly consider transferring: STUDYING ABROAD. IF YOU WANT TO STUDY ABROAD REALLY BAD DON'T GO HERE. They don't help you AT ALL. You have to do it all by yourself and your scholarships don't travel over. the only thing you can do is have your loans carry over, but that's it. So if this is a dream/goal of yours it will be harder for you if you go here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: D
So I went to Thomas College my freshmanQuite BrightCriminal
So I went to Thomas College my freshman year as a CJ major, I found it to be pretty easy and boring so I transferred after a year to a school in Boston and honestly if they had my current major I'd go back to Thomas. I didn't realize the good things about Thomas until I came to the school I'm currently at. While Thomas can be boring the school actually has a lot of events compared to my school now that maybe has one event every other month and costs twice as much. The city of Waterville, while not huge, has plenty of restaurants and a couple of movie theaters and a few shopping places. And you can also have your car on campus for free, and there's a lot in Portland and Bangor which aren't a very far drive. Me and my friends used to drive down to Portland and go to the Clubs. The teachers that I had while at Thomas were all very nice and got to know me and every one of their students personally. They taught very well and while the material seemed easy I think that it was in part because they taught so well that it was easy to learn because I still remember more of what I learned at Thomas than what I've learned at my present school. If you're looking for a small school with really nice, helpful, and approachable teachers I'd go to Thomas, just don't expect any wild parties or anything because you won't find many.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: C-
Social stuff is good - lots of goodQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Social stuff is good - lots of good events for a small school compared to my friends schools. Faculty are arrogant and way too self absorbed. New administration talks a good talk but does not walk the walk. School is too interested in growing and making money that its loosing interest and attention on the students attending. Glad I am graduating and getting the hell out soon.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013