StudentsReview :: The University of Maine - Comments and Student Experiences

Northeastern University -- Boston, MA

The University of Maine

The University of Maine was a profoundly positive

Jan 06 2014Political Science
The University of Maine was a profoundly positive influence on my life. There are opportunities for students with interests of all kinds, and the beautiful campus is filled with passionate, intelligent faculty. I was unsure about going to a state school when coming out of high school, but I am so happy that I went to Maine. Hands-down, the best public school in the state, and if you're willing to work, you'll come out ahead of the curve, and ahead of graduates of more prestigious institutions.
Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+

I entered college two years ago with high

Feb 16 2014Psychology
I entered college two years ago with high hopes of a fantastic college career. UMaine provided me with a great scholarship, and send me letter after letter saying that I was a great fit for their school. Every letter they sent had a beautiful (but largely photoshopped) picture of the campus buildings.

I felt like it was the school for me.
Now, as I transfer to UMass, I recognize my decision to go to UMaine was blind sighted. The constant letters they sent made me feel wanted, but entering the school I felt completely neglected. the teachers do not interact with students besides showing up to class and teaching the lectures. The students are rude and snobby, and despite the fact the school is basically in the middle of nowhere they still feel the need to drink and party like the college is in a major city.

The Psychology program is a disappointment, and the school made me question my desire to be a psychologist as a result. Without naming names, I had a teacher who said becoming a psychologist was the worst decision he ever made, and yet for some reason he still teaches in the program!

There is no pride in this school.
Students will never have a sense of self at this school.Anyone who attends the school, be warned: It may look nice, but that's all it is. A nice looking campus. The school is beautiful, but beauty does not mean a good education.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: B-, Innovation: F

UMaine Orono seems to spend more time, money,

Sep 23 2013Psychology
UMaine Orono seems to spend more time, money, and effort on the campus grounds, building new offices, and pouring money into the sports areas than actually fixing up or modernizing the classrooms. The doors are very old as well and look more suited for people in the 1950s than a modern campus would have today. I personally over all would give UMaine a middle of the ground rating it wasn't all bad but I did notice that a lot of professors and instructors seemed to get their data wrong when I actually looked up statistics but I'm not sure if this is due to bias or simply an error on their part. Some professors and advisers have been good but there were a lot of times they would miss appointments with students and not call us or give not so good advice. Over all I wouldn't give the school and F but I would certainly not give it an A either. It's more like a C rated University. Also I didn't care for it being cold all the time. Early fall is wonderful in that area but by late fall it is very cold and winters are brutal. Walking to class you feel like your face is going to freeze off, then spring is just one long mud season. But by summer and fall the University is pouring tons of money into making it look pretty for tourists & visitors. Can't say I liked the food at the commons or the Union it was very over priced and the quality wasn't that good. Also a lot of students cared more about partying than grades or they would form mean groups in which they could say mean things about each other. I got along with everyone I met but I have noticed a very arrogant atmosphere. My last last year I have moved off campus and just sticking to myself as I am tired of sucking up to other students simply to stay on their good side. If you get on anyones bad side it can get nasty even when dealing with the instructors. I'm sure like in all State Universities you will find good and bad but I get the impression that UMaine leans too much toward the negative side. But if you are smart enough to navigate your way it's not terrible for a State school. I mean if you are a Mainer like me who didn't want to travel too far from home it's a good stepping stone place to get out of Maine. However if I knew back a few years ago what I know today I would not have attended UMaine Orono. Besides it got expensive with all the hidden costs and fees. One last thing too is in High School I liked to join clubs & groups so when I got to UMaine I tried a few but they never seem to have any real cohesion they fall apart easily or they drift away from the purpose or goal of the group. Mostly it turned into play time where everyone sat around playing video games on their lap top or hand held devices or it would turn into political or social rants. One group I won't mention simply turned into a semester long gang up on a particular student that people hated that in my opinion didn't do anything wrong. Just that he became unpopular over night when he complained about noise levels after 1am. But people are petty on that campus but somehow believe they are good people. I spent most my undergrad years bending to the group will and siding with them but it's made me feel like a complete sell out. This is why I decided to do my Graduate work elsewhere even though some of my professors, adviser, and other instructors wanted me to stick around but truth be known I'm tired of conforming to their group think as well. I know this sounds very negative but really it's not a horrible place if you move off campus your 1st year and are able to conform. Just stay clear of all the students that live on campus which seem to be a bad influence with drinking, depression, and mean spiritness. Too much arrogance there. Bottom line is that if you need a start and you are used to living in Maine and don't want to travel too far from home it's good stepping stone school but just don't expect a high quality education or the best social life (unless you like to drink and like to be mean to others). I'm looking forward to transferring after this year. In fact I'm not even going to my graduation in the spring.
4th Year Male -- Class 2014