StudentsReview :: The University of Maine - Comments and Student Experiences

University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Northeastern University -- Boston, MA

The University of Maine

If you miss one required class plan on

Aug 05 2014Engineering Department
If you miss one required class plan on adding at least another year to your expected graduation date. Required classes fill up fast, usually only offered once a year, and the faculty basically says you're out of luck and wait until next year(when it often happens again). Advising is a joke so educate yourself on when to take what classes and do that instead of listening to your adviser since you are just a number to them. I recommend looking elsewhere.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F

The University of Maine was a profoundly positive

Jan 06 2014Political Science
The University of Maine was a profoundly positive influence on my life. There are opportunities for students with interests of all kinds, and the beautiful campus is filled with passionate, intelligent faculty. I was unsure about going to a state school when coming out of high school, but I am so happy that I went to Maine. Hands-down, the best public school in the state, and if you're willing to work, you'll come out ahead of the curve, and ahead of graduates of more prestigious institutions.
Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+

I entered college two years ago with high

Feb 16 2014Psychology
I entered college two years ago with high hopes of a fantastic college career. UMaine provided me with a great scholarship, and send me letter after letter saying that I was a great fit for their school. Every letter they sent had a beautiful (but largely photoshopped) picture of the campus buildings.

I felt like it was the school for me.
Now, as I transfer to UMass, I recognize my decision to go to UMaine was blind sighted. The constant letters they sent made me feel wanted, but entering the school I felt completely neglected. the teachers do not interact with students besides showing up to class and teaching the lectures. The students are rude and snobby, and despite the fact the school is basically in the middle of nowhere they still feel the need to drink and party like the college is in a major city.

The Psychology program is a disappointment, and the school made me question my desire to be a psychologist as a result. Without naming names, I had a teacher who said becoming a psychologist was the worst decision he ever made, and yet for some reason he still teaches in the program!

There is no pride in this school.
Students will never have a sense of self at this school.Anyone who attends the school, be warned: It may look nice, but that's all it is. A nice looking campus. The school is beautiful, but beauty does not mean a good education.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017