StudentsReview :: The University of Maine - Comments and Student Experiences

University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Northeastern University -- Boston, MA

The University of Maine

Even though I am gay and was aBrightPsychology
Even though I am gay and was a Liberal Democrat at the time I found a few of the instructors/professors at UMaine ORONO in both the Women's Studies & Psychology programs to male bash too much and not really teach applicable lessons about gender inequality. Several of them used that time to simply be hypocrites and speak unprofessionally and illogically. Some of the women instructors & professors seemed just as bigoted as the the bigots of the old days. I do not believe this is teaching "lessons" of how it feels to be a women that his disrespected so much as engaging in revenge against men in general. This isn't teaching empathy of how it feels to be a women that is discriminated against so much as making those that are bigoted become even more bigoted and that of making men that are not bigoted feel unfairly treated and resentful to the Liberal cause. Though I have to say that once my instructors found out that I was gay they suddenly went from making rude and sarcastic comments to treating me better. Often when one of the Women's studies professors would say something mean about men this and men that she would give the men in the class dirty looks. This stopped when she found out that I was gay. Which by the way made me feel uncomfortable because I don't believe in playing the "Gay Card" to get better treatment. I do understand that people need to learn from the mistakes of our past and understand that bigotry and racism are a problem today but it's not healthy when Liberals act like bigots or racists themselves even if it's in the opposite direction. I believe that we need to start treating each other equally and stop this Revenge Approach that the Liberals are engaging in. It is not teaching the proper lessons nor is it creating equality. It's just placing wedges between people. Also a lot of statistics were twisted to make it look like racism and bigotry is just as bad today as in the 1950s, when in reality these issues are not even a quarter as bad as it was a long time ago. And even with bigotry & racism still being an issue Liberals seem to throw fuel on the fire and try to teach kids today to feel like victims and to constantly fight and lash out. Its almost as if the Baby Boomers and Gen X's have a need to re-create the 1960s and 1970s and not acknowledge that kids today are not like the kids in their day and age. 1 last thing is that I also found many of the other courses and services at UMaine Orono to be lacking in quality. However over all I did find a lot of other professors, instructors, staff, and students to be nice and friendly but there was a rather smug and arrogant percent of students that gave the campus a bad vibe. I wished I had tried another state U. BTW, I am still interested in such thing as Women's studies and the GBLT communities however I can't understand how the Liberals Bigotry solves Bigotry. I don't consider myself a Conservative Republican by any means but rather I adhere to no political party (at least no US party). I hope that in the future after the Boomers and X's are gone that people can start to be more Scientific Minded, Logical, and not let their hate rule their minds.
4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: C-
Beautiful campus and buildingsNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
Beautiful campus and buildings
Wonderful sports programs
Excellent outdoors activities
Very good student services
Academics on par with other state systems
Exceptional quality of life
Only OK social "college" life as not much in surrounding area
4th Year Male -- Class 1992
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: C
Definitely a lot of pros and cons here.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Definitely a lot of pros and cons here. Campus is beautiful in a great state, a pretty large student population, and interesting courses available. Unfortunately professors are not always very helpful, 60% of the schoolyear is winter (November - mid March), and the atmosphere is not what you'd expect of a typical college this size. Dining halls and dorms are decent, some lecture halls are brand new and in great shape, and the University offers a lot of unique experiences and services (astronomy observatory, Adventure Center, humans vs. zombies) and some fun events as well. Ultimately, your outgoingness and ability to make friends easily will determine your experience. Was never personally involved in Greek life but have heard great things from friends who are members of fraternities and sororities. Overall, I'd give UMaine a 5/10; there are certainly much more rewarding schools and experiences out there, but I'm not wholly disappointed by my decision to come here. Also, I'd recommend this school specifically to out-of-staters, and advise Mainers to GET OUT OF THIS STATE and have some new experiences at a school somewhere far away.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016