StudentsReview :: The University of Maine - Comments and Student Experiences

University of New Hampshire -- Durham, NH
Northeastern University -- Boston, MA

The University of Maine

Graduated highschool with honors and top 10 ofQuite BrightBiology
Graduated highschool with honors and top 10 of my class. Never heard if Maine until they approached me and offered me a scholarship. I thought it wouldnt hurt to give it a try.Personally, i didnt like the school at all. the Campus is isolated, Some Mainers, not all, are arrogant and racist. During my first week in Maine, I caught my own advisor (frank drummond) backbiting me with Trish Costello when he didnt even know me. I was studying premed and i was the only black guy most of the time and I had to learn to work solo which i had no problem with. Luckily i was able to graduated within 3 years because of AP credits and summer classes.
4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
If you miss one required class plan onBrightEngineering Department
If you miss one required class plan on adding at least another year to your expected graduation date. Required classes fill up fast, usually only offered once a year, and the faculty basically says you're out of luck and wait until next year(when it often happens again). Advising is a joke so educate yourself on when to take what classes and do that instead of listening to your adviser since you are just a number to them. I recommend looking elsewhere.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I entered college two years ago with highQuite BrightPsychology
I entered college two years ago with high hopes of a fantastic college career. UMaine provided me with a great scholarship, and send me letter after letter saying that I was a great fit for their school. Every letter they sent had a beautiful (but largely photoshopped) picture of the campus buildings.

I felt like it was the school for me.
Now, as I transfer to UMass, I recognize my decision to go to UMaine was blind sighted. The constant letters they sent made me feel wanted, but entering the school I felt completely neglected. the teachers do not interact with students besides showing up to class and teaching the lectures. The students are rude and snobby, and despite the fact the school is basically in the middle of nowhere they still feel the need to drink and party like the college is in a major city.

The Psychology program is a disappointment, and the school made me question my desire to be a psychologist as a result. Without naming names, I had a teacher who said becoming a psychologist was the worst decision he ever made, and yet for some reason he still teaches in the program!

There is no pride in this school.
Students will never have a sense of self at this school.Anyone who attends the school, be warned: It may look nice, but that's all it is. A nice looking campus. The school is beautiful, but beauty does not mean a good education.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017