StudentsReview :: The University of New England - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of New England

The University of New England is a greatBrightPsychology
The University of New England is a great school if you are focused on your particular major and do not mind having a very limited environment. My review focus is only on the Biddeford campus, as I have never been to the Westbrook College Campus in Portland.

The Biddeford campus location is absolutely beautiful. Surrounded by trees and ocean, it simply feels alive with the breath of nature. Because the school is right on the water and they have their own dock, you can even go boating if you complete training on it. On the down-side, in the winter its beautiful ocean breeze turns into an arctic gust. Some are okay with the cold though.

First and foremost this is a science school. I would venture as far as to say that if you do not plan to go into a medical, marine, or sports science field - stay away. The other departments simply are not up to par, and a large part of the school's appeal comes from its fast track into the University's Osteopathic Medical School for students wishing to study medicine. The limited focus may serve to really hurt you if you change your mind about career paths, and it (as well as the lack of social life) is a big part of why many people transfer.

I absolutely loved my classes at UNE - the teachers were all very friendly, and the classes fostered discussion. It can be a pain to bundle up and trek through the horribly cold Maine winter in order to get to your classes during the second semester, but it is do-able.

Socially the school is very lacking, although you will undoubtedly get close to some people. The relatively small and connected community results in friendships for even the most aloof and introverted - it's very hard to not make some friends. This can be contrasted to a much larger school where the shy will likely stay un-noticed. As far as pursuing social interests go, however, you will find it very lacking. There is no theatre, there are a limited number of clubs and the school itself is pretty remote and in a dead area. Without a car you will find yourself completely isolated, with only a precious few campus events.

The actual campus itself is dead at night, very dead. I would go out to walk around between 12am and 4am and see absolutely no one except for the patrolling security car, weekdays and weekends alike. The residence halls themselves were also dead at these hours. I must have been one of the few night-hawks in a world of day dwellers. This lack of evening vitality surprised me, because the campus consists mostly of resident students who do not go home on weekends. It can be a benefit of course, if you enjoy silent strolls along a long and empty beach at night.

Parties are non-existent on campus, as residence life does not allow them. Older students who rent nearby beach houses will often host parties, however, and many students will go to those if invited.

The town itself is also very dead, and the school is remote - you will not be finding much to do if your only mode of transportation is your feet. Portland is only about 14 miles away if you have access to a car and want to get out, though.

Residence life is actually not very strict or controlling about anything but drug use and partying. In fact, I have never heard of a residence life so liberal. There are virtually no restrictions on visitation, other than letting an RA know if you will have an extended guest. There are no limitations on having overnight guests of other genders, for example, and it's pretty much 'whatever you and your roommate agree upon goes'. Coupled with a very liberal atmosphere, you can get an idea of how it plays out. This can create some trouble for certain people if they disagree with the way their roommate acts - I personally saw lots of rooms split apart during the first semester. If you attend, I would recommend finding a roommate you will get along well with at the summer orientation.

The school itself has a very environmentalist slant as well, and you will likely find it to be almost exclusively liberal in political ideology of the student body.Overall I would recommend the school if you can put up with the winter, endure (or enjoy) the lack of social life, and are very certain of your science-related major. I have since transferred out, and I miss it dearly - but my interests have shifted to majors that UNE does not offer.

1st Year Male -- Class 2007
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
The Westbrook College CampusAverageOther
The Westbrook College Campus is a great community. It is small but the Univesity cares about you as an individual both academically and personally.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B
Having gone to a big state school (UMassBrightKinesiology
Having gone to a big state school (UMass Amh) prior, I can honestly say that I prefer UNE. Class sizes are smaller which means more individual attention. It also helps when the Professor actually knows your name. There are plenty of fun things to do around campus if you take the time and learn where to find them (kiosk in the Campus Center). As a commuter, it was hard my first semester trying to find friends, initially, but I feel that I have settled into a good group of friends that I've found through clubs and organizations. If you do decide to come here, get involved, it looks great on your resume and its a fantastic experience, especially here at UNE. Sure the party life isn't extravagant but after going to UMass, I'm kinda burnt out in that department. I've learned a lot about myself through my college experience and I'm glad that its now at UNE. I cant wait to see what this University has to offer me in the future.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016