StudentsReview :: Albion College - Comments and Student Experiences

Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
Eastern Michigan University -- Ypsilanti, MI

Albion College

I came to Albion because they offered meQuite BrightPhilosophy
I came to Albion because they offered me the best scholarship package, and because I was impressed by the fact that 95% of our faculty have their doctorates or the equivelant in their field. The professors are by far the best part of Albion. The class sizes are 20-40 students on average, and the profs are always available during their hours and really WANT to talk to you and discuss their field with you. There are no TAs at Albion, and direct access to the professors is really awesome.

You can always get into classes in your major, and pretty much everyone graduates in four years - even education majors. A high percentage of students also study off-campus for at least a semester.

It's a bit hard to find a good group of friends at Albion, because many students come from wealthy families, join frats and sororities, and basically treat college like an extension of their social lives. They're not exactly snooty usually, but they're not exactly down-to-earth and friendly either.

The "intellectuals" on campus are pretty cliquish, so even if you're not a hardcore party animal, you're not likely to break the inner circle at the coffee house either. Lots of people just find a few close friends and go home on weekends. The town has been going through an economic slump for the past several years, but there are tons of volunteering opportunities, a theater where movies are free for college students, a gorgeous park downtown, and it's only a 45-minute drive to Ann Arbor, Lansing or Kalamazoo.So if good faculty (and access to them) is important to you, Albion is DEFINITELY worth your money.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2007
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C+
Even though I got into MSU and GVSU,BrightPsychology
Even though I got into MSU and GVSU, I only visited Albion because their psych program really interested me. However, after the first semester of being there I was totally miserable and bored. I thought that Albion had a homey feel to it but I could not have been more wrong. I have never felt more out of place and after considering transferring almost 4 times throughout my college experience at Albion I felt I had to stay because most classes from my freshman year wouldn't have transferred. No matter how much I loved the coursework and the professors, the social life was awful even though I was involved in a sorority. The town surrounding Albion is a pit and student were told on a regular basis to NEVER go downtown alone. I truly wish I had gone somewhere else or at least transferred halfway through but I was worried about wasting money even though going to Albion was a waste of money in the first place. The tuition has raised to 42K a year and even though they offer scholarships, it is still NOT WORTH IT. I see myself as a very open minded person who tries to make the best of every situation which is why I ended up staying for the full 4 years but when it was over I felt like they had been 4 years of punishment. Other students were not as open minded since they were all rich and spoiled and I had a very hard time with the fact that this school was smaller than my high school...I believe it's at about 1,600 students now. If you like being able to branch out and have new experiences Albion is not for you. However if you like drinking and partying you probably could not choose a better school since drinking is a major issue on campus that the school has turned a blind eye to.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use/ spending: D+
I feel as though Albion College is notBrightPsychology
I feel as though Albion College is not given enough credit. The education is very enlightening and fullfilling. The professors challenge the students, but are there when they are needed. The class sizes are small and very intimate. Its easier for students to make a name for themselves on the campus and are able to be recognized. Students at this college aren't just a number! The campus is small and anything you need is only a 10 minute walk away.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012