StudentsReview :: Alma College - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- Ann Arbor, MI

Alma College

People are great especially the students.AverageBusiness - Management and Administration
People are great especially the students. The dorms are below average with some rooms having crumbling walls or mold. Bathrooms leak from one floor to the next and hey tell you not to drink out of the faucets without filtration. (SCARY HUH) The caf? is okay if you like the same food every week and there are not many options for athletes or those with busy schedules. They make it nearly impossible to live of campus by requiring you to jump through several hoops and prove an illness/condition that the nearly condemnable dorm rooms with further diminish your health. Oh and then if you are released from prison they still charge you 1/2 the room and board fee for escaping. What a deal ah!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Friendliness: A, Campus Maintenance: C-
I'm finishing up my third year here atQuite BrightPsychology
I'm finishing up my third year here at Alma, and while there are things that I'm not fond of, I have to say that I would not go to another school.

There are things to do as long as you're willing to go out and find those things. The city of Alma is pretty terrible, the smell is awful every now and then, but it's not a bad place. It's kind of cute as long as you're okay with the occasional townie following you. As for things to do in the college, there are so many clubs it's impossible to name them all. And if there's not something that interests you, then make something up. We had a couple of kids recently try to make a "Onesie Sunday" thing, or some day, where people wear their onesies on the first day of the month. Kind of cool.

The education is worth it. Intro classes are a joke, we all know this, but you're working alongside professors that care. It saddens me to know that the psychology department is dwindling - we're to the point where our five professors can't go on sabbatical and we're about to lose two of our most brilliant neuroscientists - but I know that the program will survive. I also know that I have an internship coming, and I'm almost guaranteed Graduate School somewhere because at Alma, you WILL work in a lab. You WILL be able to do research, your own if you can make a reason for it. It's a lot of stuff that's required, but it helps and is awesome.

There are a few poor things, though. The food is terrible, yes, but you're here for an education. You're not here for a five star meal at your leisure.

More importantly, the administration does not care about you. Facilities works hard and most of them do care, same with the professors, but administration is terrible. To them, we're just a number. Professors don't like them either, though, so it's fun to go to lab and talk crap about them. Great way to start class.

Some people also come in and don't expect the amount of work needed. We're a liberal arts college. This means that if you come here, you're going to have to take classes in areas that you just don't care about. I don't like it, but it's what you sign up for. You also sign up for a college where the standards to get in are being lowered for recruitment while the professors fight that by being tougher. It can be terrifying coming in here as a freshmen, but we have resources for you. Hell, I'm a mentor and my job is to help guide freshmen for their first year here.

All in all, Alma College is expensive, annoying, and the administration is terrible. On the flip side, it is an amazing college where you will make amazing friends, and if you work hard you will get far. Don't expect all A's. We're not a school for Oprah. Everyone doesn't get an A. We're a school designed to push you. But I can only speak for my major.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: D
I am coming into my sophomore year atAverageComputer Science
I am coming into my sophomore year at Alma college and above everything that I dislike about this school one thing pushed me over the edge: the campus dining. I could complain about all of the obvious things wrong with this school like its ugly campus, horrible surrounding town, tiny student base, poor social life, and poor staff that don't fully understand how to use the internet or keep students aware, but the thing that has tipped the iceburg is the dining and its terrible staff. It doesn't seem like too big of a deal at first; the food is okay (most of the time). But once you have completed your freshman year the staff starts to give a lot less of a shit about you. They are rude, old, and incompetant. I have been here three days and they have yet to let me use my meal plan because they say it does not start till classes do. This wouldn't be all that big of a deal had I been notified, but I never recieved an email or any notice about this. anyways I'm getting sick of ranting but if you think you even remotely want an exciting town or a large class DO NOT COME HERE. also the housing sucks and administration are dicks. I don't want to completely hate on the school I've met some of my best friends here and theres some professors here that are extremely cool, but in my opinion they don't outway the bad here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017