StudentsReview :: Alma College - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- Ann Arbor, MI

Alma College

The three years that I have spent onBrightCommunications
The three years that I have spent on this college campus were the most challenging years of my life. I am a person of color and though I am labeled as a senior I refuse to finish my last year here. There are various problems with the school and how they treat students of color, L.G.B.T.Q+, disability, and low financial status. Where do I even begin! For students with disabilities involving mobility issues, there is only one mobility scooter on the whole campus of which you can use until 5 pm,there are only about 7 automatic door buttons that actually work on the whole campus, and even though they have dorm rooms for people with disabilities there are only one per floor and no elevators to reach the other two rooms. For students of the L.G.B.T.Q.+ community there are far more close-minded students and faculty then there are open-minded ones. Between students tearing the signs off of the "inclusive" bathrooms, to teachers bullying you because they don't want to acknowledge you by your preferred name. For students of color, I'm not saying that you are automatically going to be discriminated against, but you are going to have to work a lot harder to get through this experience. You'll have to watch how you carry yourself around others because there are many people around here that will quickly label you as a threat. Many will be quick to confirm stereotypes based on your actions and many of the staff will judge you for it. It is best for you to network throughout the school so you can obtain a somewhat comfortable experience. Finally, if you cannot afford the tuition I highly recommend you stay away from this school. To them, there is such thing as too many scholarships despite how many they say you are qualified for they will only allow a few. They force you to take expensive spring terms (that can't be covered by financial aid). And asking the business office for help is practically impossible they will highly recommend you apply for a loan despite what you tell them. All the school wants is your money they throw random charges and if you are offered a refund they find ways to charge you more to keep your money. (charged me a $67 spring fee WTF is a spring fee I wasn't even on campus). They don't even use the money to fix up the school, with all the mold, cracked walls and ceilings, not up to code themed housing, multiple insect infestations, and their very low maintenance response times. I could go on and on but that's not even the half of it, on a good note you will make a lot of friends and it is possible to have a social life on campus they try to provide trips and things to do but, honestly you will need a car to have fun elsewhere.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Education Quality: F
People are great especially the students.AverageBusiness - Management and Administration
People are great especially the students. The dorms are below average with some rooms having crumbling walls or mold. Bathrooms leak from one floor to the next and hey tell you not to drink out of the faucets without filtration. (SCARY HUH) The caf? is okay if you like the same food every week and there are not many options for athletes or those with busy schedules. They make it nearly impossible to live of campus by requiring you to jump through several hoops and prove an illness/condition that the nearly condemnable dorm rooms with further diminish your health. Oh and then if you are released from prison they still charge you 1/2 the room and board fee for escaping. What a deal ah!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Friendliness: A, Campus Maintenance: C-
I'm finishing up my third year here atQuite BrightPsychology
I'm finishing up my third year here at Alma, and while there are things that I'm not fond of, I have to say that I would not go to another school.

There are things to do as long as you're willing to go out and find those things. The city of Alma is pretty terrible, the smell is awful every now and then, but it's not a bad place. It's kind of cute as long as you're okay with the occasional townie following you. As for things to do in the college, there are so many clubs it's impossible to name them all. And if there's not something that interests you, then make something up. We had a couple of kids recently try to make a "Onesie Sunday" thing, or some day, where people wear their onesies on the first day of the month. Kind of cool.

The education is worth it. Intro classes are a joke, we all know this, but you're working alongside professors that care. It saddens me to know that the psychology department is dwindling - we're to the point where our five professors can't go on sabbatical and we're about to lose two of our most brilliant neuroscientists - but I know that the program will survive. I also know that I have an internship coming, and I'm almost guaranteed Graduate School somewhere because at Alma, you WILL work in a lab. You WILL be able to do research, your own if you can make a reason for it. It's a lot of stuff that's required, but it helps and is awesome.

There are a few poor things, though. The food is terrible, yes, but you're here for an education. You're not here for a five star meal at your leisure.

More importantly, the administration does not care about you. Facilities works hard and most of them do care, same with the professors, but administration is terrible. To them, we're just a number. Professors don't like them either, though, so it's fun to go to lab and talk crap about them. Great way to start class.

Some people also come in and don't expect the amount of work needed. We're a liberal arts college. This means that if you come here, you're going to have to take classes in areas that you just don't care about. I don't like it, but it's what you sign up for. You also sign up for a college where the standards to get in are being lowered for recruitment while the professors fight that by being tougher. It can be terrifying coming in here as a freshmen, but we have resources for you. Hell, I'm a mentor and my job is to help guide freshmen for their first year here.

All in all, Alma College is expensive, annoying, and the administration is terrible. On the flip side, it is an amazing college where you will make amazing friends, and if you work hard you will get far. Don't expect all A's. We're not a school for Oprah. Everyone doesn't get an A. We're a school designed to push you. But I can only speak for my major.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016