StudentsReview :: Alma College - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- Ann Arbor, MI

Alma College

I'm finishing up my third year here atQuite BrightPsychology
I'm finishing up my third year here at Alma, and while there are things that I'm not fond of, I have to say that I would not go to another school.

There are things to do as long as you're willing to go out and find those things. The city of Alma is pretty terrible, the smell is awful every now and then, but it's not a bad place. It's kind of cute as long as you're okay with the occasional townie following you. As for things to do in the college, there are so many clubs it's impossible to name them all. And if there's not something that interests you, then make something up. We had a couple of kids recently try to make a "Onesie Sunday" thing, or some day, where people wear their onesies on the first day of the month. Kind of cool.

The education is worth it. Intro classes are a joke, we all know this, but you're working alongside professors that care. It saddens me to know that the psychology department is dwindling - we're to the point where our five professors can't go on sabbatical and we're about to lose two of our most brilliant neuroscientists - but I know that the program will survive. I also know that I have an internship coming, and I'm almost guaranteed Graduate School somewhere because at Alma, you WILL work in a lab. You WILL be able to do research, your own if you can make a reason for it. It's a lot of stuff that's required, but it helps and is awesome.

There are a few poor things, though. The food is terrible, yes, but you're here for an education. You're not here for a five star meal at your leisure.

More importantly, the administration does not care about you. Facilities works hard and most of them do care, same with the professors, but administration is terrible. To them, we're just a number. Professors don't like them either, though, so it's fun to go to lab and talk crap about them. Great way to start class.

Some people also come in and don't expect the amount of work needed. We're a liberal arts college. This means that if you come here, you're going to have to take classes in areas that you just don't care about. I don't like it, but it's what you sign up for. You also sign up for a college where the standards to get in are being lowered for recruitment while the professors fight that by being tougher. It can be terrifying coming in here as a freshmen, but we have resources for you. Hell, I'm a mentor and my job is to help guide freshmen for their first year here.

All in all, Alma College is expensive, annoying, and the administration is terrible. On the flip side, it is an amazing college where you will make amazing friends, and if you work hard you will get far. Don't expect all A's. We're not a school for Oprah. Everyone doesn't get an A. We're a school designed to push you. But I can only speak for my major.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: D
I am currently a freshman at Alma CollegeQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am currently a freshman at Alma College and have thus far enjoyed my time in "the bubble". (you'll learn that term if you go here) The town is ridiculously small with absolutely NOTHING to do. I highly recommend, no matter what the admissions reps tell you, BRING YOUR CAR! You WILL need it! Unless of course you want to have no fun and have an extremely boring life, then by all means, don't bring it. It's nice to have just for a drive to get off campus and out of Alma. Mt. Pleasant is only like fifteen minutes away. Alma College is very small with about 1400 students. There is very little diversity. Make friends right away and you'll be fine. A lot of the people that go here won't just come up to you and start talking. Make the initiative. If you want to have the typical college experience partying every weekend, get in early with the frat scene. It's easy to make yourself known at this school. There are usually pretty good parties every weekend but it's best if you know someone. Being a liberal arts college, everyone is very accepting of whatever background you may come from. People are generally quiet and keep to themselves, so don't take it personally. Professors are all pretty much amazing. They are all very willing to help or meet with you outside of class. They know you by first name and are usually pretty strict with attendance. (they might email you if you miss class) It's totally worth it though. I mean, after all you are there for an education. It's pretty hard to fail a class here, they have a great academic support office that will assist in finding tutors and helping you with any problems. There are a lot of quirky band theater kids here too. Highland dancing is a big deal and don't be scared of the excessive bagpiping at all hours. You won't find the typical jock from high school here. Honestly, there aren't very many hot people here. lol. But whatever. Not very much competition I guess. What else... I guess overall it's a good school that does everything to help you succeed. You can have that typical college lifestyle on a smaller scale. Good thing about Alma's location is the proximity to CMU and MSU. Hot party destinations if you're into that. OH! Dorm life. First year students will live in one of the four resident halls on north campus. Bruske is for quiet kind of weird kids, Mitchel is for the hardcore athletes, Gelston is for the party animals, and Newberry is for all girls until fall 2009. So pick accordingly. I hope my comments were helpful and as you probably noticed they were a bit scattered due to me not at all planning this. I assure you that everything I stated was the truth and very accurate coming from a college freshman that knows. Best of wishes if you choose to go to Alma!
1st Year Male -- Class 2012