StudentsReview :: Alma College - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- Ann Arbor, MI

Alma College

The three years that I have spent onBrightCommunications
The three years that I have spent on this college campus were the most challenging years of my life. I am a person of color and though I am labeled as a senior I refuse to finish my last year here. There are various problems with the school and how they treat students of color, L.G.B.T.Q+, disability, and low financial status. Where do I even begin! For students with disabilities involving mobility issues, there is only one mobility scooter on the whole campus of which you can use until 5 pm,there are only about 7 automatic door buttons that actually work on the whole campus, and even though they have dorm rooms for people with disabilities there are only one per floor and no elevators to reach the other two rooms. For students of the L.G.B.T.Q.+ community there are far more close-minded students and faculty then there are open-minded ones. Between students tearing the signs off of the "inclusive" bathrooms, to teachers bullying you because they don't want to acknowledge you by your preferred name. For students of color, I'm not saying that you are automatically going to be discriminated against, but you are going to have to work a lot harder to get through this experience. You'll have to watch how you carry yourself around others because there are many people around here that will quickly label you as a threat. Many will be quick to confirm stereotypes based on your actions and many of the staff will judge you for it. It is best for you to network throughout the school so you can obtain a somewhat comfortable experience. Finally, if you cannot afford the tuition I highly recommend you stay away from this school. To them, there is such thing as too many scholarships despite how many they say you are qualified for they will only allow a few. They force you to take expensive spring terms (that can't be covered by financial aid). And asking the business office for help is practically impossible they will highly recommend you apply for a loan despite what you tell them. All the school wants is your money they throw random charges and if you are offered a refund they find ways to charge you more to keep your money. (charged me a $67 spring fee WTF is a spring fee I wasn't even on campus). They don't even use the money to fix up the school, with all the mold, cracked walls and ceilings, not up to code themed housing, multiple insect infestations, and their very low maintenance response times. I could go on and on but that's not even the half of it, on a good note you will make a lot of friends and it is possible to have a social life on campus they try to provide trips and things to do but, honestly you will need a car to have fun elsewhere.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Education Quality: F
I am coming into my sophomore year atAverageComputer Science
I am coming into my sophomore year at Alma college and above everything that I dislike about this school one thing pushed me over the edge: the campus dining. I could complain about all of the obvious things wrong with this school like its ugly campus, horrible surrounding town, tiny student base, poor social life, and poor staff that don't fully understand how to use the internet or keep students aware, but the thing that has tipped the iceburg is the dining and its terrible staff. It doesn't seem like too big of a deal at first; the food is okay (most of the time). But once you have completed your freshman year the staff starts to give a lot less of a shit about you. They are rude, old, and incompetant. I have been here three days and they have yet to let me use my meal plan because they say it does not start till classes do. This wouldn't be all that big of a deal had I been notified, but I never recieved an email or any notice about this. anyways I'm getting sick of ranting but if you think you even remotely want an exciting town or a large class DO NOT COME HERE. also the housing sucks and administration are dicks. I don't want to completely hate on the school I've met some of my best friends here and theres some professors here that are extremely cool, but in my opinion they don't outway the bad here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Campus Aesthetics: F
This school is only out to get yourQuite BrightMusic - Performance
This school is only out to get your money. The money you pay to go here goes to a terrible football team among other failing things. The facilities are not in good shape and most of the things they will tell you in your visits and tours are lies to get you to go there. They treat you like children and boss you around as such.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016