StudentsReview :: Andrews University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Andrews University

College was very helpful for me in termsPsychology
College was very helpful for me in terms of providing an environement to learn crucial life skills. I had to learn how to find balance, purpose, and motivation to accomplish my goals. Although there were many opportunities for distraction, which are sometimes magnified in a college setting, I was able to connect with like-minded students who grew to become life-long friends that helped me along the way. I would say that it is important to find a competent, experienced, and encouraging advisor to assist you with academic and career planning. I suffered greatly from not having the proper career and academic guidance, therefore causing me to become quite lost and unmotivated following college. It took me several years to find the right career path and I had to essentially start over many times. I think this could have been mostly avoided if the college provided adequate career development, exploration, and career counseling support, in addition to academic advising. I took so many extra credits that I didn't need to take. As you can imagine, my student loans are through the roof and almost impossible to pay off. I don't regret attending but I do think there can be some major improvements that can help students become more successful and meet their career goals. As much as this college is helpful for character building, spiritual foundation, and finding great friends...at the end of the day...we all need a job...a career. That should be high on the priority list!
My University experience at Andrews has been aQuite BrightPsychology
My University experience at Andrews has been a very positive one. For someone searching for a christian atmosphere this is a great school to attend as I definitely felt it here. Having said that, students are required to attend a certain number of chapels, hall activities, worships, etc.. each semester and are charged if they are not. I personally do not agree with this, but it is something that I have found at other christian institutions I have attended as well. Some say that Jesus is thrown into everything or shoved down their throat. I don't understand this complaint though as it is clearly a christian university and if they did not want Religion to be a large part of campus life, they should have attended a secular university. It would be equivalent to attending a french immersion school and then complaining that everything is in french.

The professors have always been very helpful to me, and have always been willing to make time outside of class to explain areas of the class in greater detail. The Administration Office staff are notorious for being incredibly slow, so take that into consideration if you're planning on coming here.

Students have all seemed very friendly, and depending on what type of friends you are looking for, you will find them. This school is the Second(I think?) most diverse university in North America and is... number 6? for vegan options in the cafeteria.

Berrien Springs is Incredibly boring, however St. Joseph and Benton Harbor are both about 15 minutes away, Chicago is 2 hours away, and Detroit is about 3. The closeness of these large cities makes the drabness of Berrien irrelivant.

If you're looking for a great Christian experience than I would suggest coming to Andrews if you can Afford it. Key word being Afford. It's about 34k-37k a year, although depending on what scholarships you get, you can get a lot of that knocked off. If you score in the highest range for the ACT or SAT I believe you get 10k a year off, and then if you aren't making a large amount of money each year you could get another 5k+ a year as an Andrews gift. So generally you're left with the year costing 20k or lower.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: B-
I love the atmosphere of debate that aboundsBrightArt & Design Department
I love the atmosphere of debate that abounds in Andrews. Even though it is a Christian University many non-Christians attend and the faculty is sensitive to that. If anything, I've noticed that the non- or jaded Christians tend to not give the school a chance thinking that they will be treated badly because they are not "Christiany" enough.

The bad part of extracurricular activities is the clubs being a bit lazy about their activities. There is A LOT of opportunity to reach out to the local community and perform community service.I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who wants a place to learn where changing the world is emphasized without proselytization of their beliefs.

5th Year Female -- Class 2011