StudentsReview :: Concordia University - Ann Arbor - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint John Vianney College Seminary -- Miami, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Joseph College -- West Hartford, CT

Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Education
CCAA gave me a great education that prepared me for life.
I'm a fairly "gifted" student- not particularly genius,Quite BrightEducation
I'm a fairly "gifted" student- not particularly genius, but top of my class all the way through school. (Straight A's, Salutatorian) I come from a very academically-focused family, and went to small public schools (Class C).

I love CUAA. I first came here when I was in 7th grade, when my eldest sister was deciding on colleges, and I determined that no matter what she decided, I was going to come to Concordia. (7th grade was also when I decided on my career path, which I am still following.)

This is a small, friendly school. We all know each other, or at least know of each other, and the faculty tend to be more like friends, mentors, and tutors, rather than aloof "sage on the mountain" types.

Concordia is a Lutheran university. This does not mean that only Lutherans are allowed, but it does mean that the campus in general holds certain values. (Students are free to disagree with these values as much as they want, so long as they don't break the school rules.) It's a dry campus, which might bother some people, but if you're not planning to get drunk you can just go to downtown Ann Arbor and buy a drink there.

Lately, in an attempt to attract more students, the school has let some of the religious emphasis slide, and has been working on attracting athletes. Since we aren't known for athletics (we're primarily a music-, pre-sem-, and pre-education- school), this seems rather silly to me.On the bright side, now that our new President is offically in office, finances are settling, and the recruiting is swinging back to our intended demographic: people interested in a Christian (or at least moral) education.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2007
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C+
I am a Gifted student with good ACTQuite BrightPhilosophy
I am a Gifted student with good ACT and SAT scores, Always looking to learn and be challenged. I sit with the history channel on in thebackground just in case there's something interesting I didn't know about. I love learning, building, and creating. My grades fatered in middle and high school when the Giftedprogram atthose schools was "restructured" orjust discontinued, otherwise I was a straight A to AB student for my entire education.

Concordia is definetly a religious school and as such, accoplishes that goal with some success. It has recently become more secularized and less doctrinally oriented as it tries to lure as many new students as possible, mostly with sports scholarships asacademics and arts suffer. The School can't decide if it's a private school or a public university and so takes on the failings of both.

The Faculty and staff are patronizing, but that may just be my view as a "Gifted" individual. This school has no reason to expect exceptional students to be attracted to this school, and thus has extremely little to appeal to this demographic.

For average students this school isn't too bad. It truthfully boasts small class size and good one on one intearction with professors. The campus is absolutely beautiful on the edges of the Huron River. The president is very active in the school's extracurricular activities, and can often be found burning the midnightoil in his central campus office.

The poilies of many of the teachers reflect little on mastering the subjects being taught, but rather encourage the "mass production" aspect of public schooling. Whether you're in an Art History, Philosophy, or Science class, you're writing three papers and a research project, all under the euphemisitc guise of being "interdisciplinary". This allows an easy way to determine the expectations of most classes, and a dedicated average student should be able to get A's quite easily. This however leaves the truly dedicated wanting, resenting all the "busy work" which seems to be the standard. There are some exceptional classes though, as there would be anywhere, because of a few individual teachers (the performing arts come to mind) but that does little to make up for the rest.

4th Year Male -- Class 2005