StudentsReview :: Delta College - Comments and Student Experiences

Delta College

Some of the instructors at this school areBrightChemistry
Some of the instructors at this school are really good but some are really arrogant, and think they know it all but in my opinion, couldn't teach a dog how to bark. I'll take one of my chemistry teachers, for example. I won't mention her name, but this woman had a bad habit of disagreeing with textbooks and the lab procedures that she would have you use. She constantly changed procedures and calulactions that made absolutely no sense and would leave you with erroneous results. I had her for a couple of classes and never did one lab in either of them where I got accurate results, even though I followed all of her changes. The sad thing is she's been teaching at this school for a long time, but I can see why she never obtained Professor status.The finacial aid and counseling departments are total crap. They're about as useless as a raincoat in the desert. They have very few programs that offer the classes you need all year round and if they do the waitlists to get into them are astronomically long. I would definitely recommend choosing another school.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
University Resource Use/ spending: B+, Individual Value: F
I'm happy with Delta College, it is theQuite BrightAccounting
I'm happy with Delta College, it is the best experience for the money as has good opportunities for transferring to a four year university. I've heard of Delta College's bad rep and "easy" classes. Well yes, if you take the easy classes then it will be like high school. They also offer more advanced classes that are on par with some universities and offer a more face to face experience with the professors. I will be transferring out this year but I think the education I got and the money I saved was well worth it.Some advice: If your planning on transferring don't take worthless classes like Algebra 097 or Business Math. Challenge yourself, otherwise when you transfer you won't be ready. Delta does offer harder classes that will prepare you.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: D
I don't even know where to start.Quite Bright
I don't even know where to start. First of all, as people who probably go here are all very well aware the finncial aid department is COMPLETE CRAP. I have yet to have one semester in which they don't mess up my stuff at least 4 times. They have lost my stuff multiple times, even given me the WRONG paperwork twice! Every time I ask a member of the staff something, or for help with something (100% of the time it's something they screwed up) I get a different answer. Everyone I have talked to has had these problems as well so I know that it's a case of them not caring about their jobs and sucking at it too rather than it being something on our part. It is ridiculous, I can't even begin to explain. They even entered my friend's name and birth date wrong on her info so she couldn't register for classes or log into stuff because they messed up her information so everything she tried to do got rejected because her information was "wrong" what a joke!

As far as the staff goes it's pretty much hit or miss. I have had a few really great teachers but also some who are not so great. You pretty much get that anywhere you go.

The students are either pretty bright or I'm sorry but at the level of a 5 year old, it's such a joke. I can't tell you how many students I've seen with the english skills of a toddler. It's annoying listening to students read from a book and not know how to pronounce words I knew when I was 5 years old, and speak as though they have been raised by a pack of wolves. I'm not sure where these people come from, it really baffles me and I continue to be amazed by how stupid people can be. So prepare to have to listen to and see people act like they don't know how to even read past the level of a 4 year old!!

The surrounding cities- Saginaw is ghetto, Midland is boring and snooty but at least pretty safe. Bay city is a dump. So not the best location but the campus itself isn't terrible, but chances are you are living/ will live in one of those three cities so take your pick...

Delta itself isn't bad, it's pretty clean and it isn't realy run-down or anything. It definitely isn't gorgeous but it's not a dump so I have to say that's probably the only thing I can really think of that's possible. Overall, my advice is to get your credits and transfer somewhere that is good, where the staff knows what the hell they are doing because the staff at Delta has NO CLUE what they are even doing and it's as if they purposely try to mess up everything they can. I would not recommend going here long term, it's good to get credits to transfer to a school that's actually good because Delta is pretty cheap. If you have better options than this school then TAKE THEM.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015