StudentsReview :: Ferris State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL

Ferris State University

Apr 06 2012Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Ferris has some significant issues with their education program and their partnership with Lansing Community College as well as the Flint Mott CC site. First they have enrolled students in a Social Studies Education program that the MI Department of Education has not even approved. Secondly, they can't seem to decide which courses are transferable and which are not. The answers depend on who you speak with on which particular day. It's extremely unorganized and lacks support of the main campus staff. I have been taking courses for several years with the intention of pursuing this degree. Now, according to my original course schedule, I should be within 20 credit hours of graduation. Instead, I have 130 credit hours of courses, 36 of which are social studies courses that I am told are worthless, and that I now need to change my major/minor and complete an additional 42 credit hours of classes. It's a racket...Ferris and their off campus partners should be investigated. They are taking thousands of dollars in tuition from students and the government, but aren't giving any degrees. The field placement coordinator says if you don't like it, go someplace else. Well, I am!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F
Jan 31 2012PreDent and Dentistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
All the negative comments must be from people who were socially awkward. After reading all these comments i thought i was going to hate this place. I have met some of the coolest people i will ever meet in my life time. This place can be boring throughout the weekend and you also wont find a party every single weekend. On the other hand ive gone to some of the craziest parties here and have had a time of my life!!! I would never leave this place. The parties are perfect size, only once in awhile are they so huge you cant walk. Also once you get out of the dorms, the night life only gets better!!!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D+
Jan 16 2012Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am really tired of reading all the negative reviews of Ferris. When I graduated in 1988 the CPA firm I went to work for hired me and an MSU graduate. I ran circles around the MSU graduate! I also passed all four parts of the CPA exam the very first time I sat for it. You will get out of Ferris what you put into it. What I read between the lines in the negative reviews is people want something handed to them all the while having to perform only the minimal amount of work. The housing may be crappy but it keeps you dry and warm who cares how spacious it is. The food may not be home cooking but I have never heard of anyone dying of malnutrition from eating at Ferris. The main point that Ferris should be evaluated on is the integrity and quality of it's educational programs. Not many negative comments on that subject.
4th Year Male -- Class 1988