StudentsReview :: Ferris State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL
University of Florida -- Gainesville, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL

Ferris State University

Big Rapids is litterally the worst place on

Oct 15 2012Engineering Department
Big Rapids is litterally the worst place on the planet. It is one of the poorest county in Michigan so they make it up by citations and tickets. People have gotten a year of probation for underage possesion of alcohol. The education as well is sub par. Most of my classes I learned by watching youtube lectures rather than attending class. As far as social life if you are in to going to a bar here or there you might as well go to the local bdubs because thats about the extent of it. I went to Ferris for two years and transfered to Western and it was the best decission of my life.
Preparedness: B Reputation: F

The Criminal Justice program is well known throughout

Jul 16 2008Criminal
The Criminal Justice program is well known throughout the recruiting rings. I got a job offer before I even graduated(out of State). In my year of hire 0ver 900 people applied for this position and only 32 received an offer. Part of my success was based on the reputation that Ferris Alumni have forged in the criminal justice arena. I personally loved my time at the University. Unfortunately there are some pretty lax professors. If you are a lazy student you can snake your way through the system with only a couple academically challenging classes. If you are motivated you take class that challenge you to think, learn and eventually succeed. I personally enjoyed the philosophy minor. The minor greatly improved my writing abilities. This has become very handy in police report writing. Ferris is like so many things in life, what you put in correlates to what you get out.
Starting Job: Police Officer Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A

Ferris has some significant issues with their education

Apr 06 2012Education
Ferris has some significant issues with their education program and their partnership with Lansing Community College as well as the Flint Mott CC site. First they have enrolled students in a Social Studies Education program that the MI Department of Education has not even approved. Secondly, they can't seem to decide which courses are transferable and which are not. The answers depend on who you speak with on which particular day. It's extremely unorganized and lacks support of the main campus staff. I have been taking courses for several years with the intention of pursuing this degree. Now, according to my original course schedule, I should be within 20 credit hours of graduation. Instead, I have 130 credit hours of courses, 36 of which are social studies courses that I am told are worthless, and that I now need to change my major/minor and complete an additional 42 credit hours of classes. It's a racket...Ferris and their off campus partners should be investigated. They are taking thousands of dollars in tuition from students and the government, but aren't giving any degrees. The field placement coordinator says if you don't like it, go someplace else. Well, I am!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013