| Sort By:
| This school is extremely boring. There's nothing ever going on. If you want to find a party, good luck, because there aren't any. I feel like I'm still in high school, and I'm not partaking in the so-called "college-experience." The people aren't attractive, and I find myself in my room watching tv most of the time. I'm incredibly bored. If you don't like to party or have a social life, this school is great for you, but I, personally, want to have a good time at college. Frankly, that isn't happening at this point. |
|Oct 04 2012|| 1st Year Male --
Class 2016 |
| Before I begin bashing this place, I'll list the positives about this school:|
1. The people are nice all over from head to toe.
2. Campus is safe. People wander around alone at 3am all the time (me included) and wake up the next day in their own bed with all their clothes still on.
3. 99% of the teachers are very good people and want you to succeed. These are the teachers that every university should be filled with and I pity the suckers at Ivy League school's paying 50,000 for a teacher that doesn't give a damn about them.
4. The administration doesn't walk around like they are gods. They are real people who will sit down and even have dinner/lunch with you regularly in the dining halls.
And now for the bad:
1. One of LSSU's main selling points are it's strong backgrounds in Nursing, Fisheries and Wildlife, and Fire Science. Unfortunately, the school's claim that it is one of the best Firefighting schools in the nation is backed by no evidence. There are no rankings, no awards, nothing to back up the school's claim as an amazing Firefighting school. As a matter of fact, the school can not even offer a hiring rate for students that graduated out of the program and Googling "Best Fire Science University" gets you not even a single mention of Lake Superior State University. Not only that, but the training facilities are pretty moot compared to what is offered at other universities.
I do not doubt that their offering of a Bachelor's degree in this field is special amoung Fire Science programs in the nation, as most only offer Associate's. However, I have had very little to re-convince me that this place is the utopia for Firefighters.
2. As far as the Nursing program goes, it is pretty much the same deal as the Fire Science program. I consistently hear nurses say that their degree here is great because "X-Hospital only hires Lake State grads". Whether or not this is true, I do not know. However... what place ISN'T hiring nurses right now?3. Sault Ste Marie is a hell hole. It doesn't know what the it's identity is and living here makes you feel like you are in The Truman Show. Coming from a major world city, living in this place is suicide-inducing. It goes half way towards being a family town, a college town, a tourist town, and a nature attraction yet doesn't fully fulfill itself in either of those categories. Especially as a college town.... it doesn't offer much of anything for the college students. Everything closes by 9pm for the most part except for a Taco Bell, Walmart, and a few other places like gas stations. Going into town makes you feel like you are in The Truman Show. Everything in this town as "Soo" in front of it. This is because the "Sault" in Sault Ste. Marie is actually pronounced "Soo". It also makes for a creepy-ass, bland, tacky experience everytime you leave campus.
|Sep 23 2010|| 4th Year Male --
Class 2011 |
| I have already completed over 70 credits towards my bachelor's degree. LSSU would only accept 19 of them and they put them as General Education credits. They wanted to make me take SEVERAL classes over again that I have already completed WITH A A+ (I have a 3.81 GPA). They were going to make me take classes for the next 3 YEARS in order to graduate. I have been accepted at UNE in Maine and they are taking ALL MY CREDITS and I can graduate in 1 YEAR!! DO NOT GO TO LSSU if your a transfer student! They WILL NOT TAKE YOUR CREDITS. The students like to party, I'm NOT a party person so that was another down side for me. So really, unless your a party/drinking person, don't go to LSSU. |
|Sep 04 2010|| 1st Year Female --
Class 2012 |