StudentsReview :: Lawrence Technological University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Lawrence Technological University

Faculty advisor in gameQuite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Faculty advisor in game art is unacceptable; does not know what he's doing. Leadership does not have a check of balances ensuring requirements are met. This university is too expensive to attend when they yank your diploma back due to their own negligence. Sorry doesn't get it done LTU.
5th Year Male -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: B, Campus Aesthetics: D-
An ok school overall, but if you wantBrightArchitecture
An ok school overall, but if you want to get things done, like registration and advising, be prepared on doing it yourself. Very difficult to obtain certain information only after going through 5 different people to get it. Advisors not paying attention to your major and making you think that the class you can take is available, but it isn't. The course electives that have to take are very limited by the availability of teachers, forcing you to take a 2 credit class when only 3 credit classes are available and classes that are shown as available during a certain semester are not showing up when you have to register. I have been very disappointed by this school and the lack of help.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: F
I'm not going to blast this school basedElectrical Engineering
I'm not going to blast this school based on trivial things like parking.
Where I have a major issue with this school is the tuition. For those planning on starting college, please take my advice. DO NOT attend this school. You can go to any more well known schools around here, U of M, Mich State, Wayne State, for half or less than half the cost of LTU. And, nobody outside of metro detroit has ever heard of LTU (not that it matters).

What matters these days is you have a degree. Go the cheapest route you can possibly find and get a degree. Look it up. The average salaries out of even the top colleges in the country aren't making staggering money.

Heed my advice. DO NOT ATTEND LTU. Their cost PER CREDIT is 975+ for engineering. Are you kidding me? When I was in my final semester in 2004 I think it was 586 a credit for senior level classes. So in 9 yrs, it's almost doubled? Unbelievable. And on top of that, you will be stuck paying that student loan debt off for the next 20-30 years.

If you have a full scholarship, go wherever you want. You're not paying for it. But my goodness...I don't know how this school stays in business to be honest. I wish I had somebody to tell me that LTU was way overpriced. I didn't when I started attending in the late 90s.

About this school, hopefully by now they put air conditioning in the engineering building, because they didn't in 2004 when I left. Many of the teachers that I had were just terrible. Not everybody is meant to be a teacher. We had one teacher for Advanced Engineering math who had a major stutter problem. How can you hire a teacher with a stuttering problem? They have to be able to communicate, nevermind AEM is arguably one of the hardest classes in the curriculum for an EE.

Some of the teachers were ok. If you get a down-to-earth teacher, that's really good, but by far most of the teachers were lazy and incapable of TEACHING. Most of the adjunct faculty hired at the school when I attended was terrible. Many times they didn't even know much about the subject they were teaching.

If you attend this school, you will really need to spend a lot of time learning on your own. My advice would be to get in good with people who have old tests with the right answers. Learn those tests, because the teachers are so lazy they will reuse tests, or they'll just change a few numbers.

I'm sure every college has good and bad teachers. But once again I come back to the cost. Guys, cost is ridiculous at LTU. If you are dead set on attending LTU, at least go to a 2 yr community college and get your first 2 years out of the way. Don't be stupid like I was and go to LTU all 4 years. Last I knew, an EE degree was 131 or 133 credit hours. 131 x 975/credit = 127,725, assuming you don't drop or fail a class, and not including books, lab fees, laptop fees, staying on campus (if you do that)...and you don't start out making 100k when you get your degree. You start out making 60k in the auto industry, MAYBE! I work in the auto industry now and have for 14 years. I was a technician until 2004 when I got my degree. I make around 90k now. 90k sounds like a lot, but it's not. And I still have 24k in student loans that won't be paid off for another 7 years, and I've been graduated for 9 years.

Think down the road before you do something. Don't let LTU sell you that it's some fantastic school, because it's not. Go somewhere that is cheap, get your degree as cheap as you can, get out of debt, and do your best to avoid debt. That's my advice. That's how you survive in the real world. Academia has become a total drain on society.

Compare LTUSave LTU