StudentsReview ™ :: Madonna University - Comments and Student Experiences

Pepperdine University -- Malibu, CA
American University -- Washington, DC

Madonna University

The sign language program is one of the

Apr 09 2014Other
The sign language program is one of the best in the country but heavily geared towards interpreting students. However, the area isn't great and there is literally nothing to do. Food is bad and it is a COMMUTER COLLEGE. Activities and extracurriculars are basically nonexistant. While the ASL department is great, other classes are not challenging at all.Students are mostly white, conservative, middle class girls OR inner city Detroit boys on a full ride scholarship. There is a lot of pro-life activity and students don't hesitate to shove their views down your throat.
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

The faculty is a joke, the ownership nuns,

Aug 19 2013Education
The faculty is a joke, the ownership nuns, and the problems go on and on. I was a student and asked for help and got none. I also remember that the so called faculty simply did what ever they wanted to the students as if we were all back in Catholic school. I was referred by my priest who made the arrangents. I remember that one of the students had his, right his, critic teacher and the school principal interview a female student for placement as a student teacher at a training session. Great, the guy is in competition with a model and Madonna did not give him a new placement immediately! They also used Right To Read for everything. Even if you never had a class in the area of study, you could still be a teacher with specialized skills when you were sent out to a school. Did not work and never would! The student teaching placements were jokes. I know one person who, without special preschool and kindergarten classes who was placed in a kindergarten. Another joke placement that would destroy any opportunity. These people demanded we raise money, buy new clothing while we were taking classes over and over, and in general could care less. Hatred and game playing was often the case. I know of a student that disappeared from classes and was allowed to handle his own learning in a specialized learning program simply because he was a cop! That right, police and fire were manly occupations and were accepted. A man in education seemed to be a nonenity. Any more, I would simply be repeating the violations over and over. Somebody needs to do something and the no attitude given by everybody allows these people to simply keep using the students as a religious money maker. I wish that it was pre 1963 and the State of Michigan had the courage to shut this place down. Their transcript keeping system is just as bad as Shaw College students suffered, and Madonna is allowed to not fix the grades. Look elsewhere for a higher learning place, it will benefit you immediately.

When I attended the college was money hungry

Aug 07 2012Education
When I attended the college was money hungry. Student were fitted and enrolled in a federal program even if they did not fit into the learning curve. If I were to say anything, it would be that the staff was too religious, furnished from the Order and not capable of liking men. I hope that this has changed. I know of one of the male students who had trouble climbing stairs that was verbally attacked for using the dorm elevator. I had to help him climb a flight of stairs since "Sister" told him he was faking the problem. As a nurse who became a MD, I know he was not capable of the climbing needed to go from floor to floor. If Madonna really cared it would get all of the Right to Read era people back together and get them their due teaching credentials. I have never met anyone who actually successfully completed the program. They needed competent lay faculty. I know of a math class that attempted to teach not the teaching of math but adult new math. It fell to pieces. I challenge Madonna to do the right thing and fix the past to create a future! I also know that when I did an internship in their onsite hospital, I felt like the use of religion was more valued than proper medical knowledge.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1985