StudentsReview :: Spring Arbor University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY

Spring Arbor University

I would suggest not going to this school

Dec 15 2010Social Work
I would suggest not going to this school.
Spring Arbor University is located in a very small town. The nearest city, Jackson, is about 10 miles away. Jackson is a poverty-stricken city which means there are very few jobs available; so if you plan on working while attending this school, you wont be too happy. This school is just like a community college, the classes are no more difficult, but it costs waaaay more!

Last: Spring Arbor University is a very small campus, it feels like a high school; there are a lot of rumors and gossip around. It also has a lot of ridiculous rules & regulations & people get fined for almost anything. I understand this is a Christian campus, but we are adults, we should be allowed to be responsible for ourselves without being told what to do, like we're in jr.high.

If you are fine with: a small campus, nothing to do, very conservative & sheltered people, and ridiculous regulations; this is the school for you! =] There are some very friendly people & professors. The lunch ladies are also very nice; always having something encouraging to say.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Friendliness: B, Collaboration/Competitive: F

SAU can be a great place to learn

Oct 25 2011Communications
SAU can be a great place to learn and to grow both academically and spiritually. Unfortunately, the students are very cliquey so if you feel the need to conform and fit in perfectly than you might have a little trouble. The rules really are not that bad considering that when you sign up you sign a contract agreeing to abide by their rules. The cool thing is you don't have to be Christian to go here but you do have to respect the people who are. The faculty are the best and I have only encountered a few who do not agree with me. Overall, it is a personal choice. If I had to choose again this wouldnt be my choice but that is because of the students. The education is worth it, but the hypocritical ways of a lot of the students give SAU a bad rep.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C-

I transferred in as a sophmore

Apr 11 2012Social Work
I transferred in as a sophmore. I want to first give some advice on being a transfer. Be very careful about what major and minor you are picking for example. Several people I know personally had to drop their minor because the admission rep did not tell them the classes would be offered at the same time for their major and minor. I ended up having to drop my minor because of this. Also as a transfer they do not tell you about many activities you can be involved in on campus and that there are certain requirements for it. All transfers I know got their classes messed up due to poor advising.

The social work program is one of the largest programs on campus. Yet there are only 3 professors, which are all great. But three professors leaves you with limited resources there will be a certain class for social work that will only be offered in the fall at one time with no other options. Some may like this but others who want to be able to have a minor may not.The school is overall good. The problem is they have limited resources. I wanted to go to a small christian schhol, but once I got here I realized I had limited resources. Its hard to join groups and to get on campus jobs, and overall going to a big school would be a better choice, because they can offer you more resources and have a better education.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014