StudentsReview :: Siena Heights University - Comments and Student Experiences

Quinnipiac University -- Hamden, CT
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Siena Heights University

Firstly, I should mention that I grew upAverageMath
Firstly, I should mention that I grew up near Adrian and decided to come here because of the short distance from home, despite my parents saying they would help pay for out-of-state tuition had I wanted to attend another university. SHU has a decent reputation, so I figured why not? I can honestly say I regret NOT taking them up on this offer and getting the hell out of here.

I'm a math major, but the work I've needed to do for my math classes is not college-grade material by any means. In a lot of my classes we've had to do assignment that are about as difficult (or even less so) as assignments that I received in high school classes. Gen ed. classes are a joke - they're a complete waste of time. The only thing Gen ed's have done for me is lower my gpa because I had one very hard class and one hard anthropology class that were ridiculously difficult. For my major's classes though, I've gotten straight A's. I've only had two good TA's, and they were for rhetoric and my interpretation of lit class, which do not have lectures. Everyone I talk to here is at a point in their education where they still don't know what they want to do, don't try hard at all, and don't really care about getting better than a C average so they don't get put on academic probation.

The ONLY thing people do here for fun is DRINK. THAT'S IT. No matter what ANYONE SAYS - drinking is the whole social scene of this university. I grew up with it, but had some notion that I could still have fun without having to go out or get drunk all the time. This turned out to be false. The places and things that are fun your first year get very boring very quickly. If you didn't become part of a tight-knit social group your freshman year, it is near impossible to make friends.I absolutely CANNOT stand the annoying Detroit kids that come here and act like the run the city. It is the most annoying and condescending thing about social life and friend-making here at Siena. Don't come here unless you are going into teaching, nursing, or some science, or unless you really like to drink...like a lot. I'm actually transferring next year, and I have absolutely NO qualms about it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D+
I honestly would not trade my Siena Heights experience forBrightNursing
I honestly would not trade my Siena Heights experience for anything, even though it wasn't perfect. True, it was hard going to a school that parties so much when I'm not a big partier, but I worked hard to find other stuff to do--and if you do that, you will find it. Trust me. It's hard work, but you will find cultural events, musical events, art events, etc...

Now, onto the school: I was in the Creative Writing Undergrad Program and 90% of my teachers truly cared about students, were available to us, and made the material engaging. Since this is a liberal arts college, it is filled with passionate faculty and students. I can't think of any "bad" program at SHU--they work hard to keep everything top quality.

I'm not proud of all the attention the school gives to the sports teams, but I will say I prefer a lively college experience to a boring one, and the sports teams certainly keeps that alive. Like I said, though, if you work hard to find other things to do, you will. It probably won't happen overnight though.SHU has an absolutely beautiful campus. I liked how the academic buildings are so close, and how I can walk to class within minutes. It made for a tight knit community. A lot of entertainment comes through The UC for performances and readings. Pay attention to flyers on campus and check the SHU announcements for stuff to do. The dorms are nice and the cafeteria isn't anything special but better than other college food I've tried. You will get out of this school what you put in. There are slackers taking easy classes and skating by on athletic scholarships, and there are also insanely smart people who deserve to be there and are doing great things. It's pretty diverse for a small school, and that makes it that much more of an experience.

Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C
Fantastic place to learn,BrightArt & Design Department
Fantastic place to learn, grow, and have a wonderful time. No place better!!! A lot of very open people and broad experiences. Very liberal.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015