StudentsReview :: The University of Detroit Mercy - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The University of Detroit Mercy

I am so frustrated with UDM.Quite Bright
I am so frustrated with UDM. No one should waste their time or money going here. There are way to many hoops that you have to jump through to get what you need done in the program. The worst department is their financial aid department for nursing. The person in charge is incompetent and is not helpful at all. She is not willing to help anyone out at all. After numerous emails she doesn't respond and when she does she wont answer your questions. I am incredibly disappointed with UDM. I am so fed up with the financial aid departments lack of professionalism. I don't pay $48,000 a year for such unprofessional behavior on their part. I have been over charged and not given my financial aid awards initially because the financial aid department didn't look over my awards properly.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
Not every aspect of UDM is terrible, butBrightPreMed and Medical
Not every aspect of UDM is terrible, but overall, I had a really bad time.
The majority of the faculty there are pretty helpful and caring people, but the most frustrating department to deal with has to be Financial Aid. They are unhelpful, and hardly give warning when something is wrong with your financial aid. Their mismanagement of my financial aid is the reason I had to leave UDM. Other departments that took long to fix their problems were ITS and Maintenance.

Most of the students were stuck up, racist, & rude. I'm Black, and I received a lot of hateful glares around campus. My group of friends were called "a loud group of Black people", even though 70% of us were White. They ripped stuff off my door, and would run to their rooms and slam the door whenever a Black student was seen in the hall. Even my roommate had a hard time socially because of me. While there are associations/support for most of the minority groups at UDM, the one for Black students was poorly put together, and achieved nothing.

Half of the buildings are in desperate need of renovation. The dorms are the worst, along with the Life Science building. I believe they're working on renovations, since Briggs was cleaned up recently, but I think the new pool they're raising money for can wait. The food wasn't the best, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Lastly, the location of the school is awful. Students and faculty got robbed all the time, and leaving the campus was a bad idea. The restaurants on Livernois were bad, and the only way to do anything off campus was to drive elsewhere. If you do go here, do NOT walk to a location.So the majority of the time spent at UDM was bad, but I know that my experience will not be the same as other students, and I wish the best of luck to the students that do have a hard time at UDM.

Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
I graduated from this school with a 4BrightOther
I graduated from this school with a 4 year BSN degree. Tuition is extremely expensive and there is nothing special about this school. If you really want to go here I would NOT go into the nursing program. You have to jump through a million hoops to get your degree, you will never know what is going on and the faculty does not communicate with you until last minute. I did NOT have a good college experience at UDM and would never recommend the BSN program at UDM to anyone considering it. Stay away. Regardless, I did end up graduating at the top of my class (I worked my butt off) but who cares, it wasn't a good experience at ALL.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013