StudentsReview :: The University of Detroit Mercy - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The University of Detroit Mercy

I graduated from this school with a 4

Jan 10 2014Other
I graduated from this school with a 4 year BSN degree. Tuition is extremely expensive and there is nothing special about this school. If you really want to go here I would NOT go into the nursing program. You have to jump through a million hoops to get your degree, you will never know what is going on and the faculty does not communicate with you until last minute. I did NOT have a good college experience at UDM and would never recommend the BSN program at UDM to anyone considering it. Stay away. Regardless, I did end up graduating at the top of my class (I worked my butt off) but who cares, it wasn't a good experience at ALL.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: B, Social Life: F

Not every aspect of UDM is terrible, but

Jan 12 2014PreMed and Medical
Not every aspect of UDM is terrible, but overall, I had a really bad time.
The majority of the faculty there are pretty helpful and caring people, but the most frustrating department to deal with has to be Financial Aid. They are unhelpful, and hardly give warning when something is wrong with your financial aid. Their mismanagement of my financial aid is the reason I had to leave UDM. Other departments that took long to fix their problems were ITS and Maintenance.

Most of the students were stuck up, racist, & rude. I'm Black, and I received a lot of hateful glares around campus. My group of friends were called "a loud group of Black people", even though 70% of us were White. They ripped stuff off my door, and would run to their rooms and slam the door whenever a Black student was seen in the hall. Even my roommate had a hard time socially because of me. While there are associations/support for most of the minority groups at UDM, the one for Black students was poorly put together, and achieved nothing.

Half of the buildings are in desperate need of renovation. The dorms are the worst, along with the Life Science building. I believe they're working on renovations, since Briggs was cleaned up recently, but I think the new pool they're raising money for can wait. The food wasn't the best, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Lastly, the location of the school is awful. Students and faculty got robbed all the time, and leaving the campus was a bad idea. The restaurants on Livernois were bad, and the only way to do anything off campus was to drive elsewhere. If you do go here, do NOT walk to a location.So the majority of the time spent at UDM was bad, but I know that my experience will not be the same as other students, and I wish the best of luck to the students that do have a hard time at UDM.

Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F

University of Detroit Mercy has the absolute WORST

Jan 11 2013PreDent and Dentistry
University of Detroit Mercy has the absolute WORST financial aid office EVER!!!! And Camelia Taylor, the one who does financial aid for the school of dentistry is the most INCOMPETENT women I have ever met. She has made countless mistakes on my account as well as every person in our class. Not one person has not complained about how many mistakes she has made. Why does the university continue to keep her in her position with all the mistakes she makes every time? She has been doing this for over 10 years!!! How long does it take to finally figure out how to correctly do your job?! It is beyond frustrating!

This university has the potential to become a more positive environment for its students if they took care of the issues they have. Students already study and work hard, we do not need the stress of continuously having to deal with errors from financial aid (on top of the stress we already have from having to listen to 2-10 hours worth of online lectures on our own time at home, because apparently having listened to lectures all day long at school was not enough. No, instead, teachers assign additional lectures to listen to at home. So you must listen to those, THEN you can start studying for everything..as if you even have time left!!).

Most of the professors at this university are super nice and helpful...although they do not agree with what techniques or methods to use!! Every professor has a "different" way to do something and they think that this is the only correct way. All the professors need to set up a MEETING, and actually go through what they think are acceptable and appropriate techniques/methods so that everyone is in agreement. Otherwise, this is what I see happening all the time. Professor A teaches everyone how to perform a certain technique as you practice. Few days later, you are getting examined on the techniques you have learned and Professor B, who is grading you, tells you that this technique is not correct or acceptable and its done completely different and FAILS you. And you have to try and explain that this is how you have been taught. BUT....be careful not to sound "rude" or they will make you go through a Decision Making where they will figure out whether or not they should lower your grade in your class because you were "rude." I've seen this happen to other students, and it makes me afraid to ever say anything because I never want to have to go through that!

If there are any faculty from UDM who are reading this, I really hope that you see how frustrating it is from a students point of view. And I hope you take in what you have read into consideration and try to correct the current issues that I see with this university. You have the potential to make the changes that will make this a much more positive environment for all.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017