StudentsReview :: The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

I by-far had the worst experience of myBrightEngineering Department
I by-far had the worst experience of my life at the University of Michigan. I am out of state from NY, and all I can say is unless you join a sorority good luck making any friends. People from the state HATE newyorkers. My roommate and most of the girls were orange, ugly, wanna-be barbies. The guys are alright and the girls are ugly. All people want to do at this school is get messed up and fuck. I found nothing redeeming about my experience in Michigan except making one friend. The school is extremely racist. I was shocked by the amount of racism I experienced here. Everyone is an arrogant, snob. Coming from a wealthy area, i expected going to a large state school would bring me in contact with some down to earth people, but I have realized not many are too down to earth at U of M.

The academics were horrible. I had 2 proffessors who spoke no english. I had one gsi make a horrendous remark about men being better then women.

University of Michgian students think they are sitting on top of the world. They are an example of how college has turned into a four year resort rather than a place to learn. All people wanted to do here is party. Everyone is the same. Good Luck to whoever is going here. Anyone who likes this school is a conformist, or enjoys being alone all the time. Bc getting out asap was the best decision ive ever made.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
This school fosters a cut-throat mentality.Quite BrightEngineering Department
This school fosters a cut-throat mentality. It was a deep disappointment to experience such a negative environment - the antithesis of camaraderie. Apparently, no one at this University has any experience working in groups, working as a team, or working to uplift the community. It seemed my peers and the professors did everything they could to break down the spirit of, and demoralize the students.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2004
Extracurricular Activities: B, Education Quality: F
When told about the School of Art &Quite BrightArt & Design Department
When told about the School of Art & Design, I was told that students would learn how to develop their OWN voice in the art world and gain useful knowledge to take with them into the real world. THAT IS A LIE. The School of Art & Design is a factory that produces arrogant, self-righteous tree huggers who make a 50 page thesis to accompany a canvas with a drop of gray paint in the center and call it art. Don't misunderstand however, The University of Michigan is a very good school that nurtures and truly educates its students, but the School of Art & Design should have its funding cut IMMEDIATELY!

The trouble with the school of Art & Design is that they do not stand behind their students. They bully and intimidate the students when they speak up about classmates plagiarizing famous works when the professor turn a blind eye. I had an incident where a 70 year professor was being verbally abusive to me and other students and when I reported her, the main office's "token" Brian Banks said "oh that's just how she is :)". Excuse me! I didn't pay tuition to be insulted for following HER directions only for her to tell me "you should of been smart enough to know I was wrong". She cost me a week's worth of work!

Speaking of Brian Banks, he's the whole reason I found this site. This man is an Advisor and as advisor he is to keep track of my credits on my road to graduate. For a year and a half straight I met with Mr. Banks to see how many more credits I would need to earn my degree and told me that I could walk with my class and take 6 credits in summer courses to get my degree. Well 4 days after graduation I get an email from Brian's Boss saying I owe them 13 credits instead of 6. I emailed the email to Brian and he wrote back, " I am so sorry this is all my fault. I miscounted". FOR A YEAR AND A HALF YOUR MISCOUNTED!??!! There are monkeys who are more efficient! So after speaking to the University's Ombudsman, he agreed with me that this is their fault and they should bit the bullet, however by that time I had already completed 9 of the 13 and received credit for an internship. But to this day that man, Brian Banks, feels her did nothing wrong. I found out from peers of mine that in my class (at the art school) of 120+ students almost half of them were told AFTER graduation to complete more credits. A few were able to tell the art school to suck it or they will get their parents' lawyers, and others had their parents just pay the equivalent of the credits, but the vast majority had to correct THEIR mistake. There are even more ridiculous stories about the art school and their underhanded ways, perhaps I'll write a book and get my tuition back that way. But this school should overthrown and restocked with moral, competent human beings who truly know how to nurture budding artist. Not the demons who are only there for the kick back of tenure. If you do come to this school, please hold on to yourself and don't let them force you to become someone you're not just to make a dirty dime. A dime that will surely be snatched away from you at their whim.

4th Year Female -- Class 2010