StudentsReview :: The University of Michigan Dearborn - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

The University of Michigan Dearborn

Background: grew up within minutes of the university,

May 11 2014Computer Engineering
Background: grew up within minutes of the university, i didn't even apply to many others, this is what i could afford (my first semester only cost $3k).

Experience: like most universities, it's what you make of it. The school certainly does not go out of its way to help/find/build awareness of the extracurriculars that are available (Intramural sports - basketball, volleyball, broomball, hockey, etc., Clubs involving video, radio, bowling, etc.). Also since students tend to come to school then go home or to work, there really isn't a good social life. The food is terrible - there's very few options on campus. The parking is terrible - you begin to plan your day based on when you can get a spot. The lab equipment is antiquated and old - most of it worked...but was stuff my parents probably used in their time. The experience was frustrating to say the least. Though toward the end of my career at the university there was some change for the better, hopefully it continues that way.

Pros: I could easily work a part-time job during school (to pay for each semester - No Debt!!), the classes were not terribly difficult, though many profs would be more than willing to help you go above and beyond.

The Co-Op program is top notch. Many complain that you pay for it (have to register for 3 credits or something), but it's really the best way to get an internship. Companies come to them expecting students, and they match and fit students to the companies. Interviews are still required to get the position, but overall it's really what is going to lead to job placement after you finish.

Cons: Clubs and activities were available, though you were usually on campus till very late in the evening to participate. Your first few years you'll be doing a lot of group work with many students who just don't care, but it gets better as the level of class increases.In the end I finished my degrees and got accepted to a PhD program at a top 10 school. The program has potential, there's plenty to learn, the campus is nice, and it's super cheap. Overall, you're getting a good return on investment (again, No Major Debt!). Though you have to work for it more if you're looking to have something of a 'college experience'.

5th Year Male -- Class 2009
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: C-

Most of the preset category questions are irrelevant

Jan 08 2014Psychology
Most of the preset category questions are irrelevant. I don't care if flowers are planted the right way. I care that Sodexo is the worst food service ever. THREE times I attempted to eat at Subwayand they had no bread. Seriously? Tried to settle for vending machine fare instead, the machine would no accept money, guess what- Sodexo runs those too. At school for 9 hours and couldn't eat. Parking issues are unacceptable. Why is there no structure in front of CASL where most of the classes are held? I have never had so many arrogant teachers- GET OVER YOURSELVES! Maybe the teenage students are in awe, but I'm 48, and I'm not impressed- just teach the material. Whats with teachers all doing the "group" crap? im not in 2nd grade. sick & tired of my grade being affected by others, its not fair and proves nothing. If the school is so concerned with people "wirking together", then have a course in it. ive been working with others for over 30 years, and manage just fine. CASL bathrooms are disgusting - hire a cleaning crew! What a pigsty! I can't graduate fast enough to get away from this joke of a college.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: C+, Individual Value: F

This school is dangerous, ghetto, filled with racist

May 08 2014Biology
This school is dangerous, ghetto, filled with racist people, prostitutes, rapists, and the staff is just as violent IF not more physically violent than the students. I transferred into this university with a high GPA, and I maintained excellent grades until I had to face the violence that had been afflicted onto me. I became a victim of being physically attacked by staff and students. I filed numerous of complaints against the abusive individuals, but the administrators are just too ghetto, lazy, filled w/ too much attitude, and incompetent to address matters that are of a serious nature.

About 90% of the professors cannot speak English. I had a professor who kept speaking the Arabic language in class, and blatantly ignoring the English speaking students in the class room for several hours . Those types of instructors allowed their own culture to cheat on the exams, and the professors would admit to allowing "certain people" to cheat as if it was ok. When it was not. The Americans were marked wrong even when they had corrects answers. However, many of the students who cheated kept their fabricated scores. I filed a complaint about that and yes you guessed it....nothing had been done about that. There was another teacher who compared herself to the KKK, so basically this school is full of racism.

During the summer a girl was raped, and the school did nothing about it. They took forever to inform students to be careful since the rapists was still on the loose. Students would also walk up to randomly punch people they don't even know, again teachers would see it and walk away. Don't join the Greek life, they use hardcore drugs and they are way too superficial. They do haze btw. Greek life should be called "Ghetto life.

Recently, I was physically assaulted by a ghetto staff member for no reason. I was in a completely different room studying when the administrator came in, crept up onto me, and struck me - as in physically assaulting me. I reported it, and the school did not take any disciplinary action. Instead, I was ridiculed, mistreated, and humiliated. With that being said, this has got to be the most dangerous university in Michigan. I'd say 95% of the staff hates their jobs. I believe that most of the administrators or staff received their degrees in a penitentiary b/c there's no way, any normal human being can work and behave like a criminal on a regular basis.

The school also has a horrible scheduling, they keep changing professors w/out notifying paying students. No online classes like other schools. No security walking inside the building or where the students are on the grounds. Not a lot of degree programs like other schools in case you want to change a major. The school is filthy, this school is a hot mess. I attended an excellent college before coming here and my previous college makes UMD look like the projects. If I could do it over again, I would've went to any other university other than UMD. What a waste of money and happiness. Spare yourself the stress don't go here.