StudentsReview :: The University of Michigan - Dearborn - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

The University of Michigan - Dearborn

College of Business was great! Great professors likeQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
College of Business was great! Great professors like Mike Callahan but the policies and "rules" of the school as a whole are RETARDED! this is the most non flexible school, that will NEVER help a student out. They are self absorbed in making ONLY $$. I paid out of state, even thought I am a MI resident and my parents moved from overseas and were unemployed, living on their savings. Don't waste your money or time HERE..GO STATE - my friends went there, wish I had gone!!!
4th Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Maintenance: A, Friendliness: C
UM Dearborn is a great school- if you'reHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
UM Dearborn is a great school- if you're an older student- someone that is "going back to school". UM Dearborn gives you the "best bang for the buck"- you get a top quality education at a great price. I've had classmates who have gone to both UM Dearborn and Ann Arbor and say that the education at Dearborn is actually better, because professors teach the classes at Dearborn, not T.A.s. Class sizes are a lot smaller than Ann Arbor, so you don't feel like "you're just another number". The professors are approachable and friendly.

That being said, I would only recommend UM Dearborn for an adult "going back to school", or someone looking for a good graduate program. I would not recommend UM Dearborn for someone out of High School because UM Dearborn is a commuter school(in one of the most depressing areas of Michigan)- if you go to UM Dearborn, you will miss out on normal college life.

When I was researching colleges, I fell in love with U of M in Ann Arbor, and I applied to both Ann Arbor and Dearborn. I got waitlisted for Ann Arbor, and got accepted to Dearborn. I chose to go to UM Dearborn. While I got a good education, I missed out on the whole college experience.

Unfortunately, my high school counselor was horrible, and was totally useless when it came to providing information on colleges. We didn't have the information that is available on the internet today- the college forums and reviews. I could have bought a few college guides, but I was too cheap and too stupid to buy one- that was a big mistake. I should have at least done some research when I was searching for a college, but I was too lazy. I thought UM (in any form) was good enough. I was wrong.

If you're in High School and want to go to college, do your research. The University of Michigan is a good school, but, there are many other good universities out there. I would probably say that every single one of my classmates applied to Ann Arbor first, and got rejected, so they went to Dearborn instead, figuring that the UM brand name was good enough, like I did. If UM Dearborn is a "safety school" for you, you have not done any research. In my day, I might have had an excuse, but, today, there's plenty of information available for free on the internet on any college you might want to attend. If you can't get into Ann Arbor, try to get into State, or the other colleges in Michigan. There are many colleges in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois that are worth investigating. There's no reason why you have to stay in Michigan. You might find a cool private college with a great financial aid package. You will be in college for at least four years, and, if you're planning on going to graduate school, the school you pick is very important. Do your research before you waste your time and money. I cringe every time I see the Oakland University sign which says: "You can afford to go here", or something to that effect. That sign preys on people who don't know very much about financial aid, because it does not matter how much a college costs if you can get a good financial aid package. For example, Ivy League Colleges are usually very generous to people from low- to middle- class backgrounds, so, an Ivy League education might end up costing you less than an education from a public university! Do you get the picture? There's no reason to go to a hell-hole because you don't think you have enough money to go to college. If all else fails, borrow. You're only 19 once- enjoy it while you can. That being said, beg, borrow, or steal your way through college, but do not work (unless you land a good internship). You have your whole life to work. If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent my summers traveling instead of working in some fast-food hell-hole.

Finally, when you find the college of your dreams, major in something you love. Don't listen to your teachers or parents. If you major in something you hate, you'll be doing something you hate for the rest of your life. Does that sound like fun? Besides, if you do something you love, you'll end up making more money anyway- do some research if you don't believe me. If you're going to college to get a job, you belong in trade school; save your money and time.Once again, do your homework! Consider all your options before making a decision, or you'll be very, very regretful.

For this particular college, Graduate degree does notComputer Science
For this particular college, Graduate degree does not offer variety and diversity found in the big colleges, i.e. Ann Arbor. You may find yourself bored and frustrated with the lack of class choices. Certain instructors are excellent while others are not so good. Be sure to poke around and find out which one you want to take. If you are serious about your education, instructor choices can make you or break you.

For this particular college however you may get more experience doing things you would not be able to do at a large college. For example, it is (much) easier to get places at Dearborn than at i.e. Ann Arbor, given the same experience level. For example, if you want to become a president of an organization at Dearborn, you can. You will not face much opposition and more doors will be open for you. This also means that if you want to do project X for your graduate work, you are more likely to get it accepted, where in a larger college you may get "stuck" working on somebody else's project, because instructor selects it and not you.So, I guess pick your field -- smaller commuter college with a homegrown feel, or a larger college with more choices and options, yet more impersonal.

The University of Michigan - Dearborn