StudentsReview ™ :: Wayne State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

Wayne State University

I have been going to Wayne State University

Sep 26 2013PreMed and Medical
I have been going to Wayne State University for several years and am surprised at all the negativity about this school. Those who think there is nothing to do on campus have not actually tried to get involved on campus, there are numerous student organizations, service and leadership opportunities, not to mention a thriving Greek Life on campus! (more on this below)

ACADEMICS- I am currently a biology major who is premed, about to graduate. I can't tell you how many resources there are to students to help you succeed. There are (SI) supplemental instruction classes to assist you outside of class if you need the help - especially helpful for classes like organic chemistry , cell bio, and other classes as well. There is the Academic Success Center in the Undergraduate Library where there is free tutoring. Also, within certain departments, such as physics, chemistry, and math, they have their own "success centers" where students can get help from a graduate student or TA who is teaching the course. There is a writing center in the library for those who need feedback on their papers. The librarians at the UGL are very helpful, and will help you find research articles for that last minute research paper that you might need to write. Not to mention, going to professor's office hours has helped me tremendously.

I am not sure about how it is for other majors, but for me as a premed student, there are a lot of resources for someone going into a health-related field, as far as gaining research experience and volunteer experience since the medical school/Detroit Medical Center is only a 15 minute walk from main campus.

Complaints: I have had a few classes where my professors could not speak English very well. (Examples: Cell Biology, and Calculus 1), I had a friend who was taking Chinese as a language and her Chinese professor couldn't communicate in English...I also have had some lab and discussion classes, where the TAs had accents but it wasn't enough to impede my learning experience.

Campus: Ok, so maybe it's not the prettiest campus on Earth, however, half the year it is snowy and cold anyway.. the buildings are kind of old but I do see some renovations being made (i.e. state hall, science and engineering bldng,), however I sometimes feel that our money is being used towards adding an extra rock to the landscape rather than renovation.

Housing: There are a few dorm halls, and some apartments that WSU offers. I have lived in 2 of the three dorm halls, and now live in a WSU apartment (University Towers Apts.),

The dorm halls are nicer than a lot of campus dorms, but the dining halls aren't that great. In the Towers dorms,

SAFETY
There are a lot of thefts on campus, mostly from people who leave things unattended. Do not leave anything unattended! I know someone who left their laptop in the student center, just got up to get a few napkins or something, and when he came back it was gone.. people have gotten their iphones stolen by people on bikes who grabbed them from their hands as they walked. That is most of the crime, however the Wayne State Police Dept. is great in making the campus feeling safe. They send a Campuswatch magazine every month about the different issues on campus, so just make sure you read it and make yourself aware. Because this is a campus in a big city, just be smart. During the day you are okay walking but at night try to walk with someone else. If you can't then the Wayne State Police Department has a SafeWalk system, where you call them and a police officer will either walk with you or drive behind you to wherever you need to go.

STUDENT HEALTH
There is a campus health center where you can get a FREE flu shot, and a free doctor's visit once a semester if you are feeling sick. Also, a lot of people don't know about this, but Wayne State has FREE counseling and psychologist sessions on the fifth floor of the student center, called CAPS (counseling and psychological services). There are group therapy sessions also for various issues. It's a great resource.

ACTIVITIES/CAMPUS LIFE
I have lived on campus all three years and it is a very different experience. Like I said before, those who think there is nothing to do on campus have not actually tried to get involved on campus. There are so many student organizations- many of which provide active service and leadership opportunities in the city- example: United Way, Project Volunteer, UNICEF, the Greening of Detroit, Gleaners Soup Kitchen, Globemed, etc. There is an active greek life on campus- and let me tell you this has literally changed my life. I used to be such a shy person going into college but once I joined a sorority I grew so much as a person- it has connected me to other people on campus and got me involved on campus and in the city. I have learned how to be comfortable with myself,in leadership positions, talking to strangers, and has also taught me time management. There are always things going on with respect to Greek life so if you are looking for a way to be more involved then maybe Greek life is for you!

The Hilberry Theater has shows going on throughout the year.
Also, being in Detroit gives this school a very unique feel, as you are only minutes away from the heart of midtown- Comerica Park, Fox Theatre, Masonic Temple, Mexicantown and Greektown, and you will usually find events going on every few weeks(i.e. Color Run, Turkey Trot, Ice Skating at Campus Martius, Haunted Houses, Salsa Dancing etc,).There are some bars scattered around- the magic stick on Woodward is nice, and has live entertainment as well as bowling. There are some nice restaurants if you're willing to walk a little bit more- like Wasabi- excellent Japanese/Korean food, Bangkok Cuisine has excellent Thai food, There is a cute little bakery on Cass called Astoria.

Byblos and La Pita have some good Middle Eastern food as well.. But there are not too many healthy food option right on campus. The food in the dining halls in the dorms isn't that great.

Parking: If you are a commuter- I am sorry- but the parking situation is a nightmare. There are many structures to choose from but it is around $3 a day, you can buy a parking pass to guarantee a spot and those are around $280 dollars per semester! So in that regard I feel like WSU is ripping students off.

Financial Aid: The Financial Aid office is a nightmare. You have to constantly battle with these people to make sure you are getting the necessary funds. So it is a big headache dealing with this department.Overall, I enjoyed my experience at WSU. There are some things that need to be changed as I feel they do try to bleed students of funds (parking, random service charges) etc, and tuition just went up by 8 percent! However, there are a lot of resources to help you succeed if you seek them out.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Campus Aesthetics: C

Went to Oakland University then joined the Navy,

Jul 07 2013Business - Management and Administration
Went to Oakland University then joined the Navy, after getting out applied to Wayne and have been here just over a year(May 2012-July 2013). Wayne, for me, has been a good experience. Very simple and fast acceptance process. I live in the Belcrest Apts across from the campus on Cass and there is night life for 21 yr olds and older on weekdays and some weekends. Midtown generally clears out on the weekends. I went on the campus set up trip to Kentucky for spring break 2013 and it was a good trip and provided students an activity at a very reasonable price, I'm also on the summer intramural basketball team(giving you a sense that there are campus activities if you are actively engaged). The university layout, in my opinion, is way better than Oakland's vast and large campus. Oakland does have free parking so it beats Wayne in that regard. The business department is competent and my education has been worthwhile so far. If you are looking for a party school definitely do not go here. There are parties but mostly at bars, which every college town has. The dorms will probably be a disappointment if you are looking for a party atmosphere. Wayne does not have D1 sports, also a disappointment for me, but something I can learn to live without. I've found it easy to make friends here in both my general elective classes as well as my major classes. Wayne has two libraries to meet your research needs as well as leisure reading needs. It's moderately priced and won't leave you in the debt Michigan/MSU will put you in. I'm satisfied with my experience so far and if what I've described is what you are looking for, Wayne might be for you.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: A+, Social Life: D
Jun 15 2013PreMed and Medical

The place needs some work.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2017