StudentsReview ™ :: Bethel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethel University

Jan 27 2013Physics

The faculty were exceptional and combined an superb balance of research and pedagogical skill.

4th Year Male -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A

I applied to a number of different schools,

Jan 14 2013English
I applied to a number of different schools, but chose Bethel. HUGE mistake. It is very expensive, and not worth the money. The people at Bethel are mostly a bunch of hypocrites. They all pretend to be godly and perfect when in fact they aren't. The faculty is even worse. They believe they are GOD. EACH class, EVERY day had religion indoctrinated into it....even Algebra. I am not against religion, and consider myself to be spiritual, but this was WAY over the top. I am transferring as soon as possible. This place is just not for me. It is beyond boring unless you are into bible banging!
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F

At the beginning I felt completely out of

Apr 09 2012Psychology
At the beginning I felt completely out of place. My family was Catholic and we never went to church and I felt like an outsider when I first came to Bethel. I came to play sports not to find my relationship with God. That being said the first months were hard. I made some super religious friends and eventually we had a falling out. A warning: many of the freshman put on a very religious attitude in the beginning, however usually this facade begins to calm down as the months go on. Some girls put on a fake attitude the entire time and still think they are in high school, but people will ignore them and they typically transfer anyways. Eventually, you begin to see people as people again and not apostles.

However, as time grows on, I have made new friends and we all accept each other for who we are. I love the sports programs and I love the people on my team. The campus is absolutely gorgeous. The food is amazing. However, if you are an out of state student, almost all freshman leave on weekends. There is also not much to do on weekends which is why most people go home. You have to take religious courses, but as long as you go to class you should can pass them.

If you are religious you will love this school. They are very open with religion where you pray in classes and discuss how God is in your life. They have chapel on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday which most people seem to enjoy going to. Even if you aren't religious, it is a great community once you find the right people. You will get a great education here. The courses tend to be challenging but fair in my opinion. If you are going into nursing, chemistry, or biology this is especially true, where the nursing program itself only admits 60% of applicants. There isn't much partying that goes on, but if that's your scene you can find other people who will join you. Believe it or not people do drink at Bethel just not as much as people who go to state schools or large universities.Bethel takes time to get used to, but in my experience it was worthwhile. I've met some amazing people and I love the psychology department. Many people don't understand why I stay at Bethel because I'm not religious, but I've learned to adapt and make the best of the situation. Those who are religious seem to really enjoy the campus and furthering their relationship with God. Overall, be patient and you will see that this school is pretty amazing.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014