StudentsReview ™ :: Bethel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethel University

I live about 2 feet away from bethel,and

May 26 2010English
I live about 2 feet away from bethel,and I am going to tell you my observations and what the community thinks about it. Bethel lies to you right off the bat when they say it is in Saint Paul. It is in a suburb 20 minutes or so (by car) away from the cities. The suburb is pretty and affluent, but incredibly boring. It is a sheltered place and not a place that fosters the sort of experiences people should have in their college years. I always believed Bethel was essentially a community college with 600 or so students. Academically i wasn't far off, i was shocked to find out that this dumpy little campus had over 3,000 living on it. Bethel is not well respected. some girls are hot, they must be fit because the biggest driving hazards in my neighborhood are the hordes of Bethel joggers. A lot of the guys hit on the slutty girls in my high school and cradle rob (Mounds View, Bethel uses our sports facilities because it doesn't really have any). I assume they do this because all the girls are super religous and are total prudes (or so i'm told). The town has no bas or restaurants, just a target and some fast food. Now that i'm i senior and looking at schools i couldn't imagine going to this boring chapel of a college. If you like jesus, a boring town (It's safe and has very nice people), ugly girls and creepy guys then bethel is for you. Basically the guys are known for being dumb jocks, and the girls babysat me and all my friends when we were little because no one expected them to do anything wrong. If you're not religious don't come here, and if you are maybe you should consider another school so you can have your beliefs challenged a little and break out of your bubble. After all, your ideas don't mean anything if they can't withstand the Ideas of people outside of your faith.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

My time at Bethel

Feb 26 2010Undecided
My time at Bethel has been great. There a ton of great people who take their faith seriously and work hard in their classes. There's a lot to do, besides homework, and although things can be rather slow on the weekends there's not much time to get bored.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Perceived Campus Safety: C+

The first thing I have to say about

Nov 08 2009Art & Design Department
The first thing I have to say about Bethel is do not go here if you are out of state. Everyone goes home on weekends and it is the most frustrating thing. The social life is so bad that I wanted to transfer after the first semester, but everyone told me to wait it out until the end of the year. At the end of the year, I decided to switch majors and everyone told me to hold off transferring until I get a feel for how my new major works out here. Now I've almost completed the first semester of my sophomore year and I'm pretty sure it's too late to transfer. Also, transferring is incredibly difficult because of the nature of the gen ed requirements they make you take. All the required gen ed classes mean nothing to other schools.

Everyone here is obsessed with getting married. And the school definitely helps instigate that idea into everyone's brains. In the gym class I'm taking, the teacher makes sure to "encourage us to partner up with someone of the opposite sex". It is very much like high school here. It is the same size as the public high school I attended and everyone acts the same. There are "Bethel Barbies" who tease their hair way too much and make sure to tan on freshman hill in their bikinis once the temperature turns 50 in the spring.

The classes aren't very hard. I guess it depends on what you take. Bethel emphasizes in their brochures that it is "community-based". This is their way of explaining why their academics aren't the greatest. Overall this school isn't completely awful. I'm not going to suffer here for the rest of my four years. Its main problem is a social problem. If you plan on going home every weekend, though, be my guest. Just know that there are others who are stranded here and could use more people around.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012