StudentsReview :: Bethel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethel University

My time at Bethel

Feb 26 2010Undecided
My time at Bethel has been great. There a ton of great people who take their faith seriously and work hard in their classes. There's a lot to do, besides homework, and although things can be rather slow on the weekends there's not much time to get bored.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Perceived Campus Safety: C+

BU is such a wonderful place to be

Nov 05 2009Education
BU is such a wonderful place to be. The RA's are so good-spirited and helpful, genuinely caring about each and every person on their floor. Chapel and Vespers are so beneficial, it's a little hard to find time to set aside from homework, but once you get there it becomes worth it. The Elementary Education program here is awesome thus far and they allow you to broaden up your area of specialty, urging you to choose something you're good at and very interested in. The only set back is not having a car your freshman year, like many other colleges. You then are forced to come up with creative ideas for things to do on the weekends. I also wasn't aware of how many people left on the weekends- most students are from the cities, so they tend to go home. But all in all, Bethel is a great school with a strong reputation and a beautiful campus.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C+

The first thing I have to say about

Nov 08 2009Art & Design Department
The first thing I have to say about Bethel is do not go here if you are out of state. Everyone goes home on weekends and it is the most frustrating thing. The social life is so bad that I wanted to transfer after the first semester, but everyone told me to wait it out until the end of the year. At the end of the year, I decided to switch majors and everyone told me to hold off transferring until I get a feel for how my new major works out here. Now I've almost completed the first semester of my sophomore year and I'm pretty sure it's too late to transfer. Also, transferring is incredibly difficult because of the nature of the gen ed requirements they make you take. All the required gen ed classes mean nothing to other schools.

Everyone here is obsessed with getting married. And the school definitely helps instigate that idea into everyone's brains. In the gym class I'm taking, the teacher makes sure to "encourage us to partner up with someone of the opposite sex". It is very much like high school here. It is the same size as the public high school I attended and everyone acts the same. There are "Bethel Barbies" who tease their hair way too much and make sure to tan on freshman hill in their bikinis once the temperature turns 50 in the spring.

The classes aren't very hard. I guess it depends on what you take. Bethel emphasizes in their brochures that it is "community-based". This is their way of explaining why their academics aren't the greatest. Overall this school isn't completely awful. I'm not going to suffer here for the rest of my four years. Its main problem is a social problem. If you plan on going home every weekend, though, be my guest. Just know that there are others who are stranded here and could use more people around.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012