StudentsReview :: Bethel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethel University

Apr 09 2012Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
At the beginning I felt completely out of place. My family was Catholic and we never went to church and I felt like an outsider when I first came to Bethel. I came to play sports not to find my relationship with God. That being said the first months were hard. I made some super religious friends and eventually we had a falling out. A warning: many of the freshman put on a very religious attitude in the beginning, however usually this facade begins to calm down as the months go on. Some girls put on a fake attitude the entire time and still think they are in high school, but people will ignore them and they typically transfer anyways. Eventually, you begin to see people as people again and not apostles.

However, as time grows on, I have made new friends and we all accept each other for who we are. I love the sports programs and I love the people on my team. The campus is absolutely gorgeous. The food is amazing. However, if you are an out of state student, almost all freshman leave on weekends. There is also not much to do on weekends which is why most people go home. You have to take religious courses, but as long as you go to class you should can pass them.

If you are religious you will love this school. They are very open with religion where you pray in classes and discuss how God is in your life. They have chapel on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday which most people seem to enjoy going to. Even if you aren't religious, it is a great community once you find the right people. You will get a great education here. The courses tend to be challenging but fair in my opinion. If you are going into nursing, chemistry, or biology this is especially true, where the nursing program itself only admits 60% of applicants. There isn't much partying that goes on, but if that's your scene you can find other people who will join you. Believe it or not people do drink at Bethel just not as much as people who go to state schools or large universities.Bethel takes time to get used to, but in my experience it was worthwhile. I've met some amazing people and I love the psychology department. Many people don't understand why I stay at Bethel because I'm not religious, but I've learned to adapt and make the best of the situation. Those who are religious seem to really enjoy the campus and furthering their relationship with God. Overall, be patient and you will see that this school is pretty amazing.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: C
Jul 07 2010Athletics/Training
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
There are quite a few things you should know about Bethel before you join. First off, a lot of people can be incredibly cheery and nice, and sometimes you just want to punch them in the face for that. If you enjoy people smiling at you at six in the morning, and not hearing a curse word for five straight months, then you should be just peachy here. I thought I was just going insane, but apparently they beat me to it.

Second of all, you will find some people who are not bat-shit crazy, but on the flip-side, you will find the people who are in the Intro to Bible class saying, "Were dinosaurs really on the Arc?" and those people shouldn't live. Okay I'm not going to say they shouldn't live. They should just stay in their little "take everything as I've been taught since I was 2" Bible circle.

What else can I say about Bethel? Oh yes, the classrooms? Horrible. I've seen better classrooms in my High School than what I found there. Where's your $35,000 going towards? Mission trips? No one cares; let's try to fix the classrooms first, maybe work on lowering tuition. It costs three arms and fifteen legs to get into the school, and quite a few people have dropped out after one or two years because they couldn't afford to finish their education.

And it continues. Their parking lots? Horrible. Security? The epitome of stupid. There are stories that you would not believe. Incredibly dense, out to grab as much money from you as possible. That's right, it costs to have a parking permit. I'm sorry, and here I thought this wasn't High School.The teachers are nice, though, they do care about your education. Some more so than others. Some want you to be more concerned with your faith, and that's fine if that's what you need, but there are some sheltered kids at this school that will probably fail miserably once they graduate, and they can thank their little bubble for that.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2010