StudentsReview :: Bethel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethel University

I came to bethel with the hopes IBrightPsychology
I came to bethel with the hopes I would have a fun and educational college experience. I found in my first couple of months here "fun" has a different definition. I live in a suite with 5 other girls and their definition of a super fun Friday night is watching a movie or maybe knitting a scarf. Which was fine with me I enjoy a chill night every now and then. However the bethel bubble is a real thing and I very quickly got sick of it. If you're somebody who wants to party all week believe me this is not the school for you! However I found that as long as you have friends at the U or somewhere else in the area, the thought of the weekend tends to get you through the week. I like bethel during the week because I can get my sleep, eat healthy food, and in general be a good kid with good grades. On weekends I turn into a hood rat and smoke and drink with my friends at the U. I honestly have come to like this double life, just because if I went to the U for school I would definitely party full time. Christian atmosphere is pretty good, expect to get judged if you drink, smoke, or are gay. Everything else is pretty much ok as long as you don't swear a lot like I do, but I've gotten used to it. My advice to anybody coming in here would be to not be fake in your search for real friends. If you don't want to be in the homeschooled jesus freak friend group, don't act like it then just because bethel wants you to, be yourself and let the people judge, true friends will come and you will get the college experience you deserve
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: F
I live about 2 feet away from bethel,andQuite BrightEnglish
I live about 2 feet away from bethel,and I am going to tell you my observations and what the community thinks about it. Bethel lies to you right off the bat when they say it is in Saint Paul. It is in a suburb 20 minutes or so (by car) away from the cities. The suburb is pretty and affluent, but incredibly boring. It is a sheltered place and not a place that fosters the sort of experiences people should have in their college years. I always believed Bethel was essentially a community college with 600 or so students. Academically i wasn't far off, i was shocked to find out that this dumpy little campus had over 3,000 living on it. Bethel is not well respected. some girls are hot, they must be fit because the biggest driving hazards in my neighborhood are the hordes of Bethel joggers. A lot of the guys hit on the slutty girls in my high school and cradle rob (Mounds View, Bethel uses our sports facilities because it doesn't really have any). I assume they do this because all the girls are super religous and are total prudes (or so i'm told). The town has no bas or restaurants, just a target and some fast food. Now that i'm i senior and looking at schools i couldn't imagine going to this boring chapel of a college. If you like jesus, a boring town (It's safe and has very nice people), ugly girls and creepy guys then bethel is for you. Basically the guys are known for being dumb jocks, and the girls babysat me and all my friends when we were little because no one expected them to do anything wrong. If you're not religious don't come here, and if you are maybe you should consider another school so you can have your beliefs challenged a little and break out of your bubble. After all, your ideas don't mean anything if they can't withstand the Ideas of people outside of your faith.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
There are two reasons people go to Bethel.Super BrilliantEnglish
There are two reasons people go to Bethel. One is for the sheltered and provincial environment it provides. The other is for the much less-publicized christian intellectual teaching. The first is true: with an admistration and majority of the student body looking to reinforce a particular dogma, much of the environment is dull and thoughtless. However, the liberal arts professors are some of the best I've ever encountered. Many of the professors push students to new horizons of thinking despite dogmatic attempts by the administration to impose their perceptions of what christians should be. Go to this school, but move off campus quickly.
Preparedness: A+ Reputation: D+

University of Texas - Arlington (TX) 1:negative

Montclair State University (NJ) 1:negative

University of West Georgia (GA) 1:negative

Ozarks Technical Community College (MO) 1:negative

Bethel University
Compare BethelSave Bethel

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→