StudentsReview :: Concordia College - Moorhead - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Olaf College -- Northfield, MN
Saint John Vianney College Seminary -- Miami, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Concordia College - Moorhead

There are many things to get into onQuite BrightPsychology
There are many things to get into on campus, you just have to look for them, they aren't going to jump out at you. The best way to get through all the stress is to find a group and make some friends, which is easy enough, because everyone is pretty damn nice. Sometimes Cobbers are considered unapproachable, but that's because we are focused on work and are serious about our educations.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Social Life: B-
Concordia is NOT worth the money unless youQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Concordia is NOT worth the money unless you get most of it paid for by the school/scholarships. Make sure you have enough money to travel on your own and to expand your understanding of the world because you WON'T get that at Concordia. They push study abroad so fiercely for a reason.

It is a very homogenous and like-minded population as well as people from very similar socio-economic backgrounds (white, upper-middle class, small town or from a suburb of the Twin Cities). Sometimes it can feel like an alternate universe of clones...but the professors care and want you to TRAVEL! So make sure to save your money beyond tuition if you want to attend. DO NOT PAY STICKER PRICE!!! It is NOT WORTH IT!

The only reason I still attend is because of superficial financial aid package, the "cobber ring", and alumni network. Even those are barely enough to convince me to stay. **OVERALL** Concordia has given me many opportunities of work, internships, travel, study, etc., but these would NOT have been worth it if I didn't have a cheap education. Also, some of these maybe could have been achieved at a neighboring state school at a slightly cheaper rate.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Scholastic Success: A+, Innovation: C+
I first found out about Concordia when IQuite BrightMusic Education
I first found out about Concordia when I was a member of the 2010-2011 Minnesota All-State Symphonic Band. The band camp took place at Concordia and I felt drawn to the place.

As a student going into K-12 Instrumental, Vocal, and Classroom Music Education (also known as Dual-License), I would not have come to Concordia if I knew they no longer offered that program of study. When I visited Concordia my senior year of high school, I asked different music faculty whether they offered Dual-License Music Education and I could not get a straight answer. By the time the music and education departments informed me I could only get one license, I was already halfway into my first semester. I wish the department could have been straightforward and to the point about which majors are offered and which are not.

With that said, Concordia was a mistake and I will be going elsewhere to get my Dual-Degree. Concordia was however, the best mistake of my life.

Pros: Great food, approachable faculty (especially in the music department), rigorous music classes (and lessons that improved my abilities 50% in one year), respect for my decision to leave, clean community bathrooms in Hoyum Hall (now a co-ed dorm just in case alumni ask "Wait. Isn't that a women's dorm?"), very helpful residence staff, awesome music program (my major aside).

Cons: Some students are not very approachable as it feels like they are thinking they are better than others. Outside of the music department, classes are kind of hit-or-miss rigor wise (I totally BS'd my way through a test in Rel. 100 and still got an A-). Winter was longer than normal (and this is coming from a Minnesota resident). There is a lack of diversity in the student body (although I did not notice much as I fit the majority of white and Christian) (since most students are from Minnesota and the Dakotas, I am not surprised at all by this)

If you want to major in Music Education and were in both band and choir through high school, I would recommend looking elsewhere and getting dual-licensure (for this No Child Left Behind/Ahead world where license is key rather than skill). If you do not know your major yet, figure it out by the end of your first year so this school does not suck money out of you for a fifth year (another reason why I am leaving, as my major is a five-year degree).

Bottom line: If you know your major, and it is not the same as mine, you should look into this college (and be sure to have a back-up plan!).

It is not all bad!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: C-
Concordia College - Moorhead
Compare CC-MoorheadSave CC-Moorhead

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→