StudentsReview :: College of the Ozarks - Comments and Student Experiences

College of the Ozarks

first of all the school is amazing, for

Mar 31 2008Biology
first of all the school is amazing, for the right person. Not everyone can come to this school. but it is great for the ideal kid. I love the school, but certain aspects do need some work. however....IF YOU FIND SOMETHINGS 'PERFECT' WALK AWAY. I do not honestly believe there will ever be a perfect school. because we as humans created school, and we are fallible. hence school systmes are too. This school may have its rough patches but ultimately, if you can do it, I would suggest it. administration needs a little work, but most people if your honest and sincere with them, they will be with you. The grounds are beutiful, but the buildings need some serious work. While the school is putting in nice facilities such as the keeter center, and McKibbens, as well as McDonald. They should definitly send their construction department to Jones, Pheiffer, and Burger Hall. They are NOT attractive in any way! and frankly the school has very nice things in those buildings that would be highly favorable to the public to know about, but not easily shown, because of the condition of the buildings. As well as the muesum, it has many amazing things in there and many many others things just waiting to be displayed, the building should be knocked down and replaced elsewhere with ideal directions, and more publication! the public enjoy it, half just dont know about it, or get lost trying to find it! As far as student activities, the school does a wonderful job supplying them. however they should generalize school trips. many people cant go on school trips simply because they are not 'part of that group', while several people, while active do not ever get the chance... due to 'the schools timing'. they should do a general senior trip for each gradueating class, to offer to any seniors who in their 4 years did not get to attend one of the schools many trip oppertunities.

many things are great, some are not. overall though I think the school is beating the odds, and showing America that God can win in a school system.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Surrounding City: F

To start out, I went to College of the Ozarks for a little

Dec 23 2007Public Health
To start out, I went to College of the Ozarks for a little over a year. I thought that I would do really well there because I am a very hard worker. However, when I was there working, people slacked off all the time. The first job that I got there was working at Edwards Mill. However, two weeks later I was transferred to the Keeter Center because the Dean of Work had made a mistake when arranging jobs for everyone. At the Keeter Center, the supervisors were awful. One man, who was a chef at the time, sexually harassed a young woman. Fortunately, I got transferred to a different work station. One thing that doesn’t make sense is how some of the supervisors can slack off, but they give students a grade based on their work performance.

The classes there are mixed, and what I mean by that is that there are great to crappie teachers that work there. The resources compared to other colleges are out dated. The library needs to be completely up-dated. During my time at the college I never once saw a brand new book in the library. To me the English and the Math departments seemed to be the stronger departments of the school.

The Living conditions there are not very good. Some of the women’s dorms are way too small--especially for two people to live in. The air conditioning units are awful. There is mold growing in them and wasp sometimes fly out of them in the summertime. I would also see small green centipedes crawling around on the floor.

My social life there wasn’t very great because I was working, going to class, or studying all the time. There was not a whole lot of down time there compared to the school that I am going to now. The students who go there get pushed to the edge in the since that they don’t get very many breaks, the food isn’t very great, and they don’t have a very good living condition.

The administration there is not very good. I had a harassment issue with someone, and ended up going to the Dean of Work, Dr. Dawe. He told me I wasn’t using the term "harassment" right, and that he didn’t want to get involved in the story, and that "there are two sides to every story." He later told me that he wouldn’t penalize me that time for coming in. I have never been spoken down to like that before.

This school is very political and would not recommend it to any one. Even if you are the poorest kid on the earth, don’t go to this school. I would rather be in debt, than go back to this corrupt school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

CofO is generally a good school

May 14 2007History/Histories (art history/etc.)
CofO is generally a good school. That said, there are some issues that prospective students should know about.

Working for your tuition is a plus. The job you get though can be widely varied. Usually, you will get a rotton job your first semester/year. Then you can transfer to somewhere better. I was at the Keeter Ctr. the first year it opened- not fun. The key point is that you must survive your first semester. Once you do that, things generally get better.

Academically, the school can be a mixed bag. History was usually solid, but we were rumored to be one of the hardest depts. on campus... I don't think many depts. prepare their students well for grad school- most students go immediately to the job market. I was hit hard when I came to graduate school although I've survived.

Most of the teachers are great- they care about you. Many of the upper-level classes are small. As of late, the school seems to be promoting their conservative ideology over educational quality (and I am a conservative as well)-something that could be troublesome in later years. In particular, writing assignments seem to be weak in some courses. History, English, Religion are good departments in the humanities. Business isn't bad either.

Unfortunately, the good remarks about the teachers cannot be said of the administration. They are frequently aloof, high-handed, and generally don't relate well to students- the notable exception being Larson, and other new Deans have come in (I can't comment on them). That said, if you're on their good side and in the right organization, they will pay for some nice trips.

Some of the rules are petty (I was never in trouble), but overall, their manageable. Dorm housing is rather poor and food is not that special either. The school has a huge endowment but often finds other uses for the money (Keeter Ctr) than improving student facilities. Jones is a mess (try having class on an August evening on 3rd flr) and other buildings suffer as well. The library (where I worked) is sadly seriously underfunded and lacks many powerful electronic database resources; a new facility is also needed. The librarians though are most helpful and more students should venture over.

Character Camp (orientation) is good for meeting other people, but I am a more serious person and didn't really enjoy it.

Chapel is required. Even though I agree theologically with the services, I don't support the mandatory requirement. This is just one of those requirements you have to live with (seniors don't have to attend).

Overall, I'd recommend the school, but in order to get a superior education you must take the initiative to get what you need. The school will not provide it. The work program can give useful job experience. Despite their claims, CofO is only well known in the area. If you go outside the midwest, few people know of them. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Preparedness: B Reputation: C