StudentsReview ™ :: College of the Ozarks - Comments and Student Experiences

College of the Ozarks

If I could go back I would

Jan 28 2013Communications
If I could go back I would....and I would have NEVER gone here! I spent what was supposed to be the best 4 years of my life having the worst 4 years of my life. I was very involved on campus, had a great GPA, and I experienced another college as well. It was horrible. If you transfer in you lose the scholarships at your previous university and can't go back. As someone who supports all the values they do, it's appalling to see them say they stand for these values when they only do it to raise funds. I have a decent job now, and it's completely in spite of CofO. This should only be an option if you really can't go anywhere else.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F

SofO was well regarded in regionally back in

Apr 03 2012Chemistry
SofO was well regarded in regionally back in the 80's. I don't know that it is so much now.
To be honest, SofO was a pretty light weight school. I think my son's catholic high school is more rigorous academically in many subjects.

My first year in the real world, I learned as much as I did in college.
My kids have gone exclusively to private catholic schools, but the religious fanaticism that emanates from CofO really gives me the creeps.HOWEVER, I did come out debt free, and my parents couldn't have afforded another college.

Starting Job: software engineer Preparedness: B Reputation: B-

Though I had several great teachers in my

Feb 18 2012English
Though I had several great teachers in my department, my overall experience with the college was negative. Some of the instances that stand out in my mind are the time that my (heterosexual) roommate got a call from the Dean of Students saying someone had accused her of kissing another girl outside our dorm. My roommate was very distressed by the accusations, which underscored the college's extremist views on homosexuality. There was the sense that your every move was being scrutinized. For example, during freshman orientation week, the group I was in performed in the "talent show" and was later reprimanded by the college administration for choosing songs that were too "suggestive." The song in question was by a certain Sir Mixalot. A few years after graduation, I learned from one my teachers that one professor was let go for being critical of Fox News. The student creative arts publication was permanently banned by the administration for publishing a creative work containing a common curse word. Additionally, two of the professors from my department were let go after they were accused of being Marxists (I knew both professors, and they were not at all Marxist.)
4th Year Female -- Class 2006