StudentsReview :: College of the Ozarks - Comments and Student Experiences

College of the Ozarks

The experience I had

Apr 12 2011Psychology
The experience I had helped shape me in terms of a solid work ethic. The friendships I developed have been everlasting. The professors and staff were top notch.
Starting Job: Youth Specialist,State of MO Preparedness: A Reputation: A+

This school has been awful

Sep 22 2010Journalism
This school has been awful. I transferred here from a crappy public university thinking I would get a good experience but I'm getting the exact opposite. The students live in dorms that are smaller than prison cells, and they pay well over what they're worth to be "blessed" by the school to live on-campus. The food is awful, there are no off-campus activities, and the administration is more concerned about their appearance than propagating a quality education. I feel like I'm nothing more than a tourist attraction. Don't believe the BS that they give you when you apply, you're nothing more than a child to them and you will be treated like the dirt on the bottom of President Davis's shoe.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Innovation: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

I decided to post because i graduated from

Jan 26 2011Sociology
I decided to post because i graduated from SofO 20+ yrs ago being told my triple major would pave the way for a career in social work. I can't believe they are still saying this...it shows how out of touch with the real world the organization/institution is. It was not true then and certainly is NOT TRUE now! You absolutely must have a BSW from a certified program, and honestly ~ go on to get an MSW. The college is truthful on one point 'Hard Work U": it is only training its graduates to be followers and grunts, not leaders. Most of my instructors were more interested in their research, conventions, and papers. They didn't want to be bothered. When expressing my frustration to my parents my dad said, 'just try to figure out what they want you to say, and say it...get your piece of paper". Well i did, but you can learn tenacity and endurance in any institution. SofO/CofO is trying to say it gives more, but it is not delivering. Granted, the 80s were a difficult time of transition for the college. But it is sad to hear it is still a place that really does not care for the students, esp physical well being, and not just dorms and class rooms. Sexuall harrasement by work supervisors was a problem then as well. Things were swept under the rug. And yes, student pressures and lack of resources was hudge: the drop out rate was extremely high, and there were multiple suicides over the four years i attended. All hushed up. You could not go to anyone for help, even the chaplain because of reprisals. Nothing was in confidence. THere is reason alumni do not contribute. Getting a 'debt free' education is very do-able elsewhere ~ state schools have grants too, and 'real' off-campus jobs pay better. This is not the 'safe haven' to send your young adult to. Appearances are deceiving.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F