StudentsReview :: College of the Ozarks - Comments and Student Experiences

College of the Ozarks

C of O is great! There is no

Jan 29 2005Agriculture/Horticulture
C of O is great! There is no other school on earth were you can be owned by someone else. The work program is a joke and the administration is comprised of the most worthless group of lowlife, money hungry, self serving "Christians" I've ever delt with. Never in my life have I been sucked in to such a farce. The outsider looking in see's a wonderful environment were the students are the number one priority.This is NOT the way it works! These poor rich elderly donaters of the school nedd to wake up and look around. They are getting ripped off! The money they work hard for and donate doesn't go to help us, it goes to the administrators little toys such as the recently built $34 million Keeter Center that the students are accually not allowed to use unless they pay ungodly amounts. We have also been told not to sit in the furniture because we might scare off doners. The administration communicates as little as possible to the students. They have created an atmosphere were the average student is terrified to speak to them because of the constant threat of being kicked out. If your a student like me you will find great joy in raising hell every day. The key is to not cause enough of a problem to be removed, but enough to piss people off. My daily efforts of tearing the school apart bit by bit brings me joy and peace. The college was originally created in 1906 for poor working kids to get an education. Now the administrators are embarrassed of the areas of the school that have made it what it is today, such as the Agriculture Department and construction. I wish the school would some day go up in flames and the president and his cronies would suffer a horrible death. The friends I've found here are great though. Thank you for your time. P.S. If you do come to school here, steal as much from them as possible because they owe us all something.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2005
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: D

To start out, I went to College of the Ozarks for a little

Dec 23 2007Public Health
To start out, I went to College of the Ozarks for a little over a year. I thought that I would do really well there because I am a very hard worker. However, when I was there working, people slacked off all the time. The first job that I got there was working at Edwards Mill. However, two weeks later I was transferred to the Keeter Center because the Dean of Work had made a mistake when arranging jobs for everyone. At the Keeter Center, the supervisors were awful. One man, who was a chef at the time, sexually harassed a young woman. Fortunately, I got transferred to a different work station. One thing that doesn’t make sense is how some of the supervisors can slack off, but they give students a grade based on their work performance.

The classes there are mixed, and what I mean by that is that there are great to crappie teachers that work there. The resources compared to other colleges are out dated. The library needs to be completely up-dated. During my time at the college I never once saw a brand new book in the library. To me the English and the Math departments seemed to be the stronger departments of the school.

The Living conditions there are not very good. Some of the women’s dorms are way too small--especially for two people to live in. The air conditioning units are awful. There is mold growing in them and wasp sometimes fly out of them in the summertime. I would also see small green centipedes crawling around on the floor.

My social life there wasn’t very great because I was working, going to class, or studying all the time. There was not a whole lot of down time there compared to the school that I am going to now. The students who go there get pushed to the edge in the since that they don’t get very many breaks, the food isn’t very great, and they don’t have a very good living condition.

The administration there is not very good. I had a harassment issue with someone, and ended up going to the Dean of Work, Dr. Dawe. He told me I wasn’t using the term "harassment" right, and that he didn’t want to get involved in the story, and that "there are two sides to every story." He later told me that he wouldn’t penalize me that time for coming in. I have never been spoken down to like that before.

This school is very political and would not recommend it to any one. Even if you are the poorest kid on the earth, don’t go to this school. I would rather be in debt, than go back to this corrupt school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F

This school is good at what it focuses

Mar 04 2013Art & Design Department
This school is good at what it focuses on, and poor at anything else. I recommend you research your interests and compare them to the school's success rates.I was only a student for two years before transferring out. I found the artistic department to be divided against itself, contending for student workers' time to complete personal projects on behalf of the teachers. The teachers placed emphasis on artistic design and less on technical proficiency. This became apparent as i delivered my coursework for the PAR board (the four art teachers, only three of which could attend). I had chosen work i thought would showcase my best talents and skill level in the direction of my interest. The result was their hesitance to allow me to continue in the art program, but allowed me to on the condition that i explore a certain subjective concept, as my work had not met their unspoken and undefined expectations. One teacher, Mr. Cummings, became nearly irate, wild eyed, and raised his voice at me. I assume his unprofessional behavior was due in part to my choice to not include certain coursework from his classes. The head of the department, Dr. Allman was rather snarky with several students and was known to cuss at them to get her point across. Mrs. Burchett was nice, but not well organized. Mr. Johnston was also nice, but taught sculpture and Three Dimensional art, which was not my area of interest. Mr. Cummings allowed his graphic design classroom to be laid back and set a generally unprofessional tone, but then would berate the students for following that habit when a guest was invited to the room. He would often show up late for classes, yet expected us to be there. He also once used class time for a student to read "Green Eggs and Ham", which was distracting for the student doing the read aloud, as well as the rest of the class. He commonly used negative terms when praising students, and showed preference for female students over male students, criticizing them less harshly and even doing his best to endear the female students to him. He once sent a private email to a classmate of mine, insulting him and basically called him delusional. If you take classes from this teacher, beware! The inclusion of unrelated yet required course studies is expected at a liberal arts college. What i did not appreciate was the one sided indoctrination from specific political and denominational points of view. Any opposing view voiced in an essay was given lower grades because it did not match the views of the teachers. I saw this particularly in the American History and Theology courses. During my time there my favorite classes were those not related to my degree, specifically Classical Ideals of Character and Creative Fiction, taught by Dr. Head and Mrs. Weisman respectively.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2009