StudentsReview :: Kansas City Art Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Art Center College of Design -- Pasadena, CA
San Francisco Art Institute -- San Francisco, CA
Academy of Art College -- San Francisco, CA

Kansas City Art Institute

Kansas City Art Institute is extraordinary.BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Kansas City Art Institute is extraordinary. Let me begin by going over a number of different points about the school. First and foremost is the education...

The freshmen year also known as "Foundations" is quite amazing. Essentially, Foundations is one, big philosophical and spiritual experience. Don't get me wrong, you will do a load of drawing and other projects, but I believe that the fundamental idea behind Foundations is to change you; it changed me. It's about thinking differently, perceiving the world differently, and most importantly it's about learning about yourself, who you really are, what you believe in, what you stand for, and what you find beautiful. It's all about developing ideas and meanings. Additionally, Foundations is meant for you to discover all new ways of expressing yourself... you may be an illustrator at heart (like myself) and come out as a sculptor! There are students that go into Foundations as filmmakers and come out at ceramists!

Now... the curriculum. The way the curriculum works is that, you begin Foundations with very little control... your professor will tell you what to draw whether you like it or not. Then... after the first several weeks you will be given some control, then a little more... and then a little more. Soon, by the end of the semester you might be able to create whatever you'd like.

Occasionally you may be given really thought provoking assignments... for instance my instructor told us that our assignment was to, "Do something impressive with color" and that was all. Sometimes the teachers will read you poems and you would make art about what you took out of it. I found it fascinating... because I'm a geek.

Now, to be honest, I actually hated Foundations for the longest time because I didn't know any of this. I thought that we would be practicing how to draw very rigorously, and learning how to draw the human figure, how to draw perspective and all these technical things, but that's actually the following year! Like I said: Foundations is more of a philosophical experience, your artwork deals with ideas and meaning.

Sophomore year is the technical year, you'll be learning all kinds of techniques and whatnot. After Foundations, the teachers are apparently not very weird and are actually applied and know that you all want to get jobs and not be some independent artist working part time at a Starbucks. At least this is what the design school teachers are like... the fine arts teachers are kinda weird too.

Don't be fooled by the advertisement for KCAI... you might think of KCAI as this wonderful school where everything is gold and silver and gleaming beautifully... no. Most of the buildings are really old, all of them have weird chemical smells, paint is chipping or super globbed on the walls and floors. The Foundation studio is basically a warehouse, the floor is concrete and you have big studios with this kind of thick wall to tack stuff on. It's not what I expected, I thought that a school that costs $30,000+ would at least look a little nicer, but no. Get used to it!

The dorms are a lot of fun, all the freshmen are required to stay there and since the dorms are so small you basically know everyone in your class. Also, fear the elevator... it's definitely not safe, I'm surprised nobody has died in it. (Actually some girl peed in one of them when she was drunk! She was my friend's roommate, haha!) The great thing about the dorms is that each floor has a theme?like I was in a Star Wars themed floor, there was a Harry Potter themed floor, another was like ancient Japanese folklore, and they change every year. Lots of fun!

Downsides to KCAI... EXPENSIVE. EVERYTHING IS SO EXPENSIVE. The tuition... the books... the supplies in the book store... the meal plan... everything! Make sure you take out like $2000 extra per year on your student loans because you will need it I'm sure. I used $1200 last year on supplies and books. Also, books! Sometimes your teacher will say they have a book and you never end up using it, so I wouldn't buy a book unless you actually have assignments out of it. Or use a friends.Advice: You can learn like, how to make art on your own you know. You don't NEED to go to KCAI... I transferred to a state school because they're teaching the same stuff, and it's cheaper there!

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-
After researching this school I was really excitedBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
After researching this school I was really excited about coming here because I was under the impression that it was a place where my creativity would flourish. This did not happen. I will be leaving after this fall because this place is simply not for genuine artists. I found the instructor in my major to be too strict and close minded toward my style of art and was trying to push their habits and style onto me. This is probably why the majority of student artwork there looks the same and has no originality. There are probably several students in that department that are real artists.

Being a private and expensive school, the majority of students there are snobs and are trying to chase a dream that will most likely cause them to wait tables and pay off debt for most of their lives. I only met a couple of people who were really down to earth.

Here's the thing, if you're confident in your ability as an artist and you understand your limits and goals, then you don't need to go to these over-priced art schools to justify it. Especially in this economy, unless you're a truly promising artist and have something to contribute to the community without diluting it, then you'll probably end up with a terrible job while doing art on the side like most.

From what I understand, they were trying to teach creativity which is ridiculous. When alumni visit it was just unsettling to hear how "well" they were doing after graduating. In my experience of being at a university and junior college I can say that is your best bet, don't waste your money or parent's money at these up-scaled schools because they look aesthetically pleasing. This school emphasizes too much on education of art and in my opinion, will only hold you back as an artist or just stereotype your art as nothing special.

The only thing I liked about this school are the drawing classes, such as figure drawing, I have definitely improved at figure drawing because this class is structured really well and has a great instructor. The other liberal art classes aren't great and when people say the workload at this school is tough, these classes are part of the reason, you're given weekly long readings, most of which you will probably not remember after you graduate, but it's a good thing you review them in the next class.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
University Resource Use/ spending: A, Education Quality: F
Kansas City Art Institute is a fraudulent artArt & Design Department
Kansas City Art Institute is a fraudulent art school that teaches nothing of value and is no help for any artist who actually wants to make a living at it. I attended the school, and although I made the Dean's List twice, I have a job now that has absolutely nothing to do with art, plus I hate it. KCAI's job placement program is a joke, and the tuition is absurdly high. DO NOT GO TO KCAI. I feel I deserve a refund of my tuition, and my advice to anyone considering the place is: DON'T GO. GO TO A *GOOD* ART SCHOOL LIKE CAL ARTS. Don't make my mistake.
Compare KCAISave KCAI