StudentsReview :: Kansas City Art Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

San Francisco Art Institute -- San Francisco, CA
Academy of Art College -- San Francisco, CA

Kansas City Art Institute

Although I am from Kansas City, it wasQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Although I am from Kansas City, it was a hard decision to stay in KC and go to college. I thought I wanted to explore either coast (specifically Boston), but I really found a gem at Kansas City Art Institute. Every time I went on the campus before I was a student, I was treated warmly and really felt a part of the community. As a student, I was recognized as an active member socially and artistically. At times it was even hard to let myself fail because there were so many people holding me accountable for my success.

I majored in printmaking and at first I regretted going into the department because of the apathetic senior class. My class was so determined to understand traditional and contemporary printmaking and really leave our mark on the school and our world of printmaking. We bonded and truly enjoyed ourselves in and out of the classroom. It also took me a while to adjust to the teaching style from the teachers in printmaking, but I learned how to communicate with the three main teachers and get what I needed out of each of them, without getting frustrated. I think it would have been so easy to want to transfer out of the department and even the school based on a couple of peoples' attitudes. After realizing that I make my own experiences and I will make my education worth while, I opened myself up to learning so much from my studio and liberal arts teachers.

I took a variety of studio electives in various departments and always looked at them as a way to better my own personal work...not just make the work required to get an 'A' in the class.

Additionally, I come from a lower to middle class family and I truly have minimal debt in comparison to how expensive the school is. I was really afraid of debt while in school so I tried my best to always apply for outside scholarships, even when I was already a student. I also consulted the financial aid department every year to make sure that I was getting all the aid that was due to me from the government as well as institutionally. I worked full-time throughout winter and summer break so I could have money to pay for school out of pocket and even started making a couple of payments to my loans before I graduated. I consolidated my loans right after I graduated, so I have a locked in low interest rate. The financial aid situation is all about keeping good communication with the financial aid office to have a realistic view on what you're getting yourself into.

I know this is a lot of sporadic commenting, but if I can summarize: most people that have negative experiences are negative people and 'want, want, want' with out putting forth the effort to 'EARN'. There is a lot of sacrifice that goes into going to art college that most likely doesn't happen at regular university. Before choosing to go to a specialized school, ask yourself if you are willing to put in what it takes to rise to the top? Not just while in school, but after you graduate. There are so many successful alumni that have come from KCAI...they didn't get where they are by just showing up to class and commencement ceremony.It has only been a year since I've graduated and I know if I want to work in the world that borders fine art and commercial art (printmaking), I have to work hard to be different. I am not delusional and think that someone is going to find a dream job for me. KCAI gave me a great education and perception on life as an artist. Don't be persuaded against the school without getting the whole picture.

4th Year Female -- Class 2007
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-
I loved my college experience.Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I loved my college experience. There is no way to grow as an artist unless you are surrounded by other dedicated talented artists and educators. That was the most valuable part of KCAI. Foundations is especially rewarding, as is the liberal arts courses. If you're looking to be an illustrator like myself, that program is no longer available there, and was undergoing a painful transformation while I was there. That is my only regret about my school. The remaining departments are flourishing, and are relatively unique, in that they are mostly specialized fine art departments. Not all art schools are set up this way. They're usually dominated by commercial oriented departments. I tell my family that being at kcai was a little like being at Hogwart's as a wizard. It was so refreshing to not be an outcast like I was my whole life, and realize that there were other openminded, creative people that think like me. The work I was doing was so challenging, especially when I got there but it was learning that I could do magic, and that if I kept at it, there would be no limits to what I could see and what I could do. I was truly blessed to be offered need-based scholarships so I could afford to attend. I don't think there was another school that would help me with that.
True fact- about half of the freshman leaveQuite BrightArt & Design Department
True fact- about half of the freshman leave after their first year. NOT because it was "to hard" although they do take up alot of your time. Its because its EXPENSIVE AS ALL HELL, they have no plan for you.

(head foundations dep. teacher flat out says that graduates get jobs as waiters before they can balance in their fine arts, and hopefully will make it someday)If you have any sort of artistic ability you can get in- accept 80% of the people! Half of the people CANT DO ANY SORT OF ART. but get in because of having$$$. Also a HUGE problem is favoritism with the teachers. Im not complaining because I did get some A's that were not quite deserved- but other times I got bad grades for not sucking up to the teachers... over all... SAVE YOU MONEY

1st Year Female -- Class 2010