StudentsReview ™ :: Missouri Southern State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Missouri Southern State University

I am studying music at MSSU and so

Nov 21 2013Music - Performance
I am studying music at MSSU and so far its not bad. All music majors must know however that being a music major is BUSY! It is not for everyone. The only problem I see with MSSU program is they literally throw you right in. College is much different from High School and there are many things done in college that they do not cover in high school. More difficult things. I understand that college is harder, but I don't think just throwing kids in will help them. At least tell them what you are about to do so they don't feel totally lost. I'm talking about large ensembles. They practices much different in college. Being a student who lives about 25 min away it is very hard to be involved in the school, plus there never really seems to be much going on. However when they do host an activity it is very enjoyable. All of the music staff is wonderful and very helpful and they want to see you succeeded. The program is probably one of the lowest funded ones on campus but it is still a wonderful program. Great college to get you bachelors at for a good price. The campus is over all lacking any excitement... My high school was more "fun" then this college but I believe they just need to right kind of students to come here and change that.
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C

Moving from a place that was much better

Jul 09 2013Biology
Moving from a place that was much better and more developed than joplin's MSSU made me feel like the campus was quaint and small. Upon attendance to this school, I quickly realized that it was small for a reason. Who in their right mind would like to go here? Students live at home and attend classes, making this campus lack the college feel. Because it is cheap, inner-city people are attracted with athletic scholarships. It isn't a very nice school to go to.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I would not go to this school if

Mar 09 2013Nursing
I would not go to this school if I was wanting a full-college experience. The dorm-life is horrid. They don't turn on the AC till it gets to be nearly summer, and don't turn on the heat till its winter. I had to buy a heating blanket to sleep in the dorms. The maintenance is also awful! I had a leaky window that let in a steady stream of water when it rained and it took five months for them to "fix" it. It still leaks. The food is repetitive and unhealthy if you eat what is offered for on-campus students.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F