StudentsReview :: Northwest Missouri State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Northwest Missouri State University

Feb 11 2013Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If I had the chance to do it over again, I would NOT go to Northwest. Incompetence runs through every facet of this money hungry institution.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F
Feb 11 2013Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The administration at Northwest is incompetent, selfish, and unprofessional.
I came to this school not knowing what career path I wanted to take. I was advised to take some courses in areas of study I may want to pursue. My creativity and love of aesthetics led me to the incredible Merchandising advisors I have come to know and love. With their encouragement and guidance I made the switch from an "undecided" student to a "Merchandising of Textiles, Apparel, and Furnishings" student in the Family and Consumer Sciences Department. Through engaging coursework and caring professors/advisors and peers, I realized this was the major for me. The 3rd floor of the administration building became my new home away from home equipped with friendly people in the same area of study. Soon after joining the FCS department, I was extended with an invitation to join KON (Kappa Omicron Nu), a Family and Consumer Sciences Honor Society, which I later found out was FOUNDED on the ground I stood on, many years ago.

In February 2012, the President and the rest of the NW administration and Board of Regents announced the end of the Family and Consumer Sciences Department. May I add, we as students found out our department was cut on the same day many faculty found out they had lost their jobs. One professor who lost her job was one of the 2 professors who taught all my major classes. She's been there for 25 years, with a deep commitment, passion, and love for this program and it's students. She is an incredible woman and an asset to this supposedly "educational" establishment. While I understand the financial situation of the school and their need to make cuts, there were MANY other "extra" things that could have been cut out of the budget other than an entire department (which happens to be one of the least expensive departments to keep around). A group was started in an effort to "Save the FCS Department." Letters were written to school officials, the Board of Regeants, Congressmen, etc. in hopes of swaying their decision to remove FCS from curriculum. Our main points of focus were the rich history founded in that very building, the impeccable professors that the school couldn't afford to lose, and the outstanding sense of family and professionalism that was created on the third floor of the admin building, but to no avail. One school official actually sent back an extremely unprofessional and disturbing email to a student demanding she stop sending letters and more (the content of which she would not say, she was severely disgusted and disturbed). A meeting was held the following week to let students and professors ask questions about what was going on and how it would affect them. Answers to our questions were strategically discarded or answered in a round-a-bout sort of way, so as to confuse us more. The lack of professionalism in grown men and women was absolutely astounding and unappreciated by myself and everyone else still with questions of the unknown future.

Months after this devastating news, it came to my attention that the school was administering several high dollar improvements. Kind of strange for a campus in so much debt they had to eliminate 8 majors. There were hundreds of new computers ordered, a Mac Lab installed, LCD screens in place of regular (cheaper) menu's in the food court, and several other costly improvements. I would ONLY recommend this school to Business or Elementary Education majors. I don't see those programs being cut anytime soon. If you are pursing any other area of study, take heed. This school will take advantage of you before you even have time to blink. I thought a known University and educational institution would take more pride in education, but it turns out all they care about is making money or building some kind of image to draw in students. They don't care about all the students and faculty they hurt nor do they take a second to reflect on their mission as an institution, "Northwest Missouri State University focuses on student success - every student, every day"-- NW doesn't care about anyone, but itself.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F
Oct 09 2011English
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
During my years at Northwest, I notice there is a lot of miscommunication between departments.
They should not hire student workers to working in important areas such as record keeping. For example, I recently recieve an email stating that I did not fully recieved my shots. This was not the first time that it happened, each semester was the same. I do not understand why this would happen each semester.

If your name is different from others, they automatically assume that you are an international student. A majority of this school is based on sor. and fater. and if you're not one of those you're pretty much a no body at this school because people are very stuck up. Individuals here also stick to one another and if you're different they look at you like you're a freak. There is no senese of community at this school not unless you join a sor. or faternity but even then they are a bunch or whores who gets drunk constantly but some are good.