StudentsReview :: Northwest Missouri State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Northwest Missouri State University

Nov 22 2012Nursing

I absolutely love Northwest and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Education Quality: C-

Northwest has been one of the greatest experiences

May 10 2012Journalism
Northwest has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. While the surrounding city can get old at times, there were plenty of opportuities the university gave me in the last couple of years to work for free in cities like LA, NYC and Chicago. Anyone looking to get ahead in their field should get involved with any of the academic organizations, they are great and provide lots of internship help. Altogehter, I would definitely recommend Northwest to anyone looking for a great family atmosphere with a huge pay off!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C

Northwest is a great institution for higher education

Jun 01 2010Political Science
Northwest is a great institution for higher education. I was previously reading comments about the Financial Aid office not being helpful and the University just wants to steal your money (which is mainly the reason I am posting)--this is not true whatsoever. I'm going on my 9th trimester (fall, spring, and summer) as a Northwest student and I will admit that the financial aid process is not an easy one. I've had to work with the financial aid office 7 out of 9 of those trimesters in getting my financial aid package sorted out. However, after a trimester or two of working with the office, it became easier and easier. I now communicate with only one person while dealing with the office; this person has answered every single question via e-mail and has helped me numerous times.

The administration, faculty, and staff are great here, with the exception of one or two staffers who need to be ousted. I've worked directly with the University President on countless occasions, I've worked closely with the faculty in my department, and I've been heavily involved in a number of campus organizations. Overall, the only complaint I have about this area is the assistant director of campus activities who needs to be fired.

The campus is beautiful and the only time I don't like it much is during the winters. This is Northwest Missouri, so the winters can be brutal.

The City of Maryville is a C+ because there isn't much to do.. however, St. Joseph is a short trip away with plenty to do.

If you are looking at going to Northwest, I would definitely recommend it. If you're having trouble with the Financial Aid office, find one professional staff in the office to help you. Don't let that be the reasoning for you not to come here. The education you will receive at this University is great.The program that I am in is great. I'm in the History, Humanities, Philosophy, and Political Science department studying Public Administration. There are more minors in this than majors, like myself. The professors in this department are very knowledgable in their fields and are most definitely willing to work with you. You will frequently see essay tests in this department--not many professors believe multiple test essays are worth anything. This is where I find it challenging. I'm not a very good essay test taker, yet I succeed in the classes. It teaches you how to apply what you've learned, rather than regurgitate it.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014