StudentsReview :: Saint Louis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Saint Louis University

I have only been at SLU for 2BrightOther
I have only been at SLU for 2 short semesters and I absolutely HATE IT. The undergrad gen eds are made to make you fail (weed outs) the lab coordinators for the freshman year labs are impossible to work with, there is either a very large curve or an almost non-existent one. Outside of the campus aesthetics I would never recommend this place. If your not in a frat/soriety you are looked down upon.the professors are either too concerned with their research or pre occupied with other things to be of much help to you.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I was an international student at SLU.Quite BrightMechanical Engineering
I was an international student at SLU. Honestly was excited to go to SLU. According to the pamphlet it looked like a good university. It seemed like a great place to spend the next three years. However, after spending 1 year at the school I realized that if it weren't for the schools their I would never choose to go there. I would never pay to go there. The students are grossly mean and snobby. As an international student, I already had a challenge fitting in without the need to be picked on. Being there brought out the worst in me. I try to be a kind person but being there turned me into a complete a@$ hole. I remember counting the months until I graduated. I kinda hated every second if it. St. Louis is the worst city I've ever been to. (Very mean people). The quality of education was great but honestly my confidence was destroyed and my hope almost squelched. I can't believe I chose to of there. My advice is to consider other universities.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Friendliness: F
I am a freshman girl in the directQuite BrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I am a freshman girl in the direct admission physical therapy program here. I was choosing between SLU and Marquette and, needless to say, I made the right choice for me.

So, here's what I have to say. As a high school senior last year, I was very interested in SLU. I came online and, naturally, read heaps of reviews. Some were great; They reinforced my beliefs about this school. Some, though, scared me. I read reviews about how, at SLU, you are just a number; The quality of education is poor compared to the amount of money tuition costs; The people are rude, snobby, closeminded and arrogant; The social life (parties, clubs, just hanging out, etc) is as good as nonexistant; The food (noooo- not the food!) is lackluster, repetative and expensive.

Holy crap. For me to read this about the school I thought I was going to be at for the next 6 years was incredible scary. Was I making the right choice? I was looking forward to college so much- was this ALL I was going to end up with?

Let me tell you: ignoring these and going with my instinct was the best decision of my life.
At SLU, you are not just a number. It's up to you to be proactive in keeping in touch with your coucelor and seeking help from your teachers. But, they do care. This isn't high school- this is college. There are shy of 18,000 undergrad students whom which the faculty must attempt to be involved with. It can get overwhelming, but SEEK YOUR OWN HELP. If you ask, you will see that you are more than just a paycheck to them.

Yes, SLU is expensive. (So is just about every big university these days) But SLU does attempt to aid you all they can. And, speaking soley from the perspective of a health science major, the quality of education recieved is not subpar. You truly get what you put in. Put in the effort and you will open your mind.

The students are not snobby. This one is up to you, though. Anywhere you go, there are going to be diverse personalities. Make genuine friends by being genuine yourself and you will prosper. Conceited people attract other stuck up people. If you yourself have solid morals and are down to earth, you will not tend to flock with those you dislike. To those who complain that everyone they know here is snobby- whose fault is that?

You will have a social life. There's something for everyone here and I promise that you will find your niche. If you play sports, do theater, love media: SLU has it. Just don't be afraid to join. And in response to those reviews claiming that there are no parties and social life: Where do you hang out? Clearly not on campus, or you would see, if not be involved in the multitude of social gatherings. Yes, there is alcohol, but I believe that there is something for everyone to do regardless of interests. There is no reason you should be holed up alone in your dorm on a saturday night (Unless, of course, Netflix. That is always the exception).

The food. Oh, the food. No one likes to admit it, but this is a secretly large factor in whether or not you attend a school. Honestly, I haven't visited a college with more options and better food. With the typical dining halls, unique eateries (such as all fresh vegetarian, custom pasta, fresh asian and more), coffee shops and well known fast food places (Chick Fil A, Subway) all around campus, there's always plenty of options. It's also convenient that, wherever you are, you have something near you in case you are limited in time. If you talk to just about anyone from SLU, they rave about the food. Politely ignore the internet if it tells you otherwise.

Clearly, the reviews I read last year lied to me. Or maybe those people who rated SLU poorly were not making the most of the amazing opportunity they had.

Advice? Don't let a website scare you. Take it into your own hands. Do research, get in touch with your admissions councelor, visit the school.

Remember: This choice determines, at the least, where you will call home for the next four years. This is your college experience; Not every college will be a great fit for you. But make that decision for youself, based on visits- not the internet.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019