StudentsReview :: Saint Louis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Saint Louis University

On the whole, SLU has disappointed me.BrightOther
On the whole, SLU has disappointed me. I thought that I would love it here. Instead, I only tolerate it. The campus is great, immaculately landscaped. I love walking around on campus. That said, going off campus is just something that isn't done, at least not wisely. The administrators claim that SLU is one of the safest campuses in the nation. I find that incredibly difficult to believe (its better than it used to be, but its still not good). People on the streets around campus are regularly victims of gunpoint robberies. What scares me, is that the crimes have started moving on campus. This year students have been robbed in parking lots and on campus sidewalks. Also, the bank in our student center was robbed by an unarmed man who then ran across campus without being stopped. Does that really sound like one of the safest campuses in the country?

The administration operates in a very opaque manner. There is minimal, if any, actual student-administration interaction. Dealings with Student Financial Services/Housing and Res Life/Academic Services tend to end in frustration. The financial aid counselors are great at being outright mean. I think that they must go through training to learn how to be rude. For academics, I have four counselors. They never communicate with each other and never know what is going on.

Classes have, for the most part, been excellent. Though they can be difficult. Most of the professors are helpful and knowledgable. The Honors Program classes have been great. Only once have I had a professor who was truly unqualified to be teaching.

SLU is overpriced. I understand that college is expensive. But between my first and second years tuition went up 8%. Between second and third years it went up 6%. Keep in mind that scholarships never increase. What I get isn't worth what I'm paying.

There are a TON of extracirriculars. It might take a while, but it you look you will find a place to fit. There are also several community service options. The Jesuits do a pretty good job of getting their mission accomplished. Though sometimes I feel that the Catholic foundations of the school should be more prominent. I suppose that can be good or bad depending upon your views.

Dining services isn't good. Chartwells has a monopoly on campus dining. So, if you enjoy mediocre food and getting yelled at by Chartwells employees then SLU is the place for you. SLU, like many colleges and universities, has a problem retaining students. They recently implemented learning communities where you live with all the same people who are in your classes. Personally, I hate this. I feel that in order to foster a true community, you need to know more than just a few people. If the school wants to improve student satisfaction, then they need an open dialogue with students. In my three years here at SLU truly open dialogue with administration is something that has never happened. SLU students are not stupid. We are, for the most part, responsible young adults. The university needs to stop acting like a condescending parent. Honesty on the part of the administration would, I think, be a refreshingly welcome change.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2009
Friendliness: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D+
While the campus is beautiful and the educationalBrightSociology
While the campus is beautiful and the educational programs are decent, the institution itself is a bureaucratic nightmare. The university, despite being a non-profit organization, will attempt to get money out of you in any way they can. Tons of different fees and costs must be paid on time and forms filed in a certain order. However so much of this is outside of your control, you can pay the fees and do all the paperwork but things disappear in the machine of it all, get lost in translation between departments. When various members of the hierarchy mess up their jobs, it is up to you to get all sorted out which takes up a lot of time and is potentially costly.

The university is never fully honest either. Recently they raised tuition and housing by 4 percent, on the grounds of higher insurance costs for its maintenance staff. However at the same time, they DROPPED INSURANCE COVERAGE for their maintenance staff, or at least the portion they were contributing, laying higher costs on their workers without raises. Just to clarify, they cut their insurance costs while using them to justify the tuition increases.Furthermore they require all freshmen and Sophomores to live on campus, even though they hardly have room for everyone.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
I am a freshman girl in the directQuite BrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I am a freshman girl in the direct admission physical therapy program here. I was choosing between SLU and Marquette and, needless to say, I made the right choice for me.

So, here's what I have to say. As a high school senior last year, I was very interested in SLU. I came online and, naturally, read heaps of reviews. Some were great; They reinforced my beliefs about this school. Some, though, scared me. I read reviews about how, at SLU, you are just a number; The quality of education is poor compared to the amount of money tuition costs; The people are rude, snobby, closeminded and arrogant; The social life (parties, clubs, just hanging out, etc) is as good as nonexistant; The food (noooo- not the food!) is lackluster, repetative and expensive.

Holy crap. For me to read this about the school I thought I was going to be at for the next 6 years was incredible scary. Was I making the right choice? I was looking forward to college so much- was this ALL I was going to end up with?

Let me tell you: ignoring these and going with my instinct was the best decision of my life.
At SLU, you are not just a number. It's up to you to be proactive in keeping in touch with your coucelor and seeking help from your teachers. But, they do care. This isn't high school- this is college. There are shy of 18,000 undergrad students whom which the faculty must attempt to be involved with. It can get overwhelming, but SEEK YOUR OWN HELP. If you ask, you will see that you are more than just a paycheck to them.

Yes, SLU is expensive. (So is just about every big university these days) But SLU does attempt to aid you all they can. And, speaking soley from the perspective of a health science major, the quality of education recieved is not subpar. You truly get what you put in. Put in the effort and you will open your mind.

The students are not snobby. This one is up to you, though. Anywhere you go, there are going to be diverse personalities. Make genuine friends by being genuine yourself and you will prosper. Conceited people attract other stuck up people. If you yourself have solid morals and are down to earth, you will not tend to flock with those you dislike. To those who complain that everyone they know here is snobby- whose fault is that?

You will have a social life. There's something for everyone here and I promise that you will find your niche. If you play sports, do theater, love media: SLU has it. Just don't be afraid to join. And in response to those reviews claiming that there are no parties and social life: Where do you hang out? Clearly not on campus, or you would see, if not be involved in the multitude of social gatherings. Yes, there is alcohol, but I believe that there is something for everyone to do regardless of interests. There is no reason you should be holed up alone in your dorm on a saturday night (Unless, of course, Netflix. That is always the exception).

The food. Oh, the food. No one likes to admit it, but this is a secretly large factor in whether or not you attend a school. Honestly, I haven't visited a college with more options and better food. With the typical dining halls, unique eateries (such as all fresh vegetarian, custom pasta, fresh asian and more), coffee shops and well known fast food places (Chick Fil A, Subway) all around campus, there's always plenty of options. It's also convenient that, wherever you are, you have something near you in case you are limited in time. If you talk to just about anyone from SLU, they rave about the food. Politely ignore the internet if it tells you otherwise.

Clearly, the reviews I read last year lied to me. Or maybe those people who rated SLU poorly were not making the most of the amazing opportunity they had.

Advice? Don't let a website scare you. Take it into your own hands. Do research, get in touch with your admissions councelor, visit the school.

Remember: This choice determines, at the least, where you will call home for the next four years. This is your college experience; Not every college will be a great fit for you. But make that decision for youself, based on visits- not the internet.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019