StudentsReview :: The University of Missouri Columbia - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Missouri Columbia

Campus News:

A Giant win

This school is full of snotty and stuck

Dec 29 2013Nursing
This school is full of snotty and stuck up people. If you don't plan on going greek then don't plan on going to Mizzou. This school's campus is 98% greek with people that give you judgmental looks any where you go. The professors and faculty that I experienced my first and last semester at Mizzou were very unprofessional. I had first year straight out of college professors who barely knew what they were talking about. My math professor had a bull ring in his nose and wore a t-shirt and jeans every day to class. Also, When I went to go get my withdrawal form from admissions I merely asked if there was anything that I needed to do or if anything would prevent me from transferring and the response I received and I quote was "No..If you don't want to be here, we don't want you here" like okay?thanks. Next, I experienced more drama here in one semester than I did in my 4 years of high school. I hated every minute of it. And if you are not a big fan of big campuses do not go here. Literally took me a half an hour just to walk to my first class in the morning. Lastly, I am an out-of-state student and the tuition and fees is absolutely ridiculous at a woping $34,000..no thanks. Needless to say, this university is full of snotty and stuck up people, rude and unprofessional professors and faculty, and just awful experiences. DO NOT GO HERE. I am glad I got out when I did and a couple more things?THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. Downtown is about a mile away and there's nothing really to do down there anyway..and the frat parties get really boring really soon?so have fun sitting in your dorm room because I know half the time I didn't leave the room unless to pee or get food. The education quality is stupid. the professors grade really hard and you never receive the grades you deserve.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F

At the main campus of the University of

Nov 20 2013Chemistry
At the main campus of the University of Missouri, everything appears to be as you would expect a D1 university to be. The campus is nice looking and students are abundant. But what lies behind this facade is much different. As a student I have been screwed out I most everything I work for. The University charges an absurd amount of money for instate tuition, and not to mention other hidden fees. The dorms are generally a) too expensive and unnecessarily nice, or b) dirt cheap and terrible, not to mention 40 years old. On top of that, MU loves to give you the run-around. I have waited hours for appointments, gone to countless offices to be directed somewhere else, and information is not readily available. The quality of professors here is nothing exceptional. Most professors have their TAs proctor their exams, grade quizzes and teach classes. These TAs are students themselves who seemed to learn the information only severally years before, hardly qualifying them to teach at a university level. This, could be be viewed as a good thing, because many professors cannot speak understandable English.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: B, Scholastic Success: F

If you want to do anything but Journalism,

Feb 21 2014PreMed and Medical
If you want to do anything but Journalism, Engineering, or Business go somewhere else. The school of health professions is super hard to get into for some programs and easy for others. The nursing school is great but people don't always get in when they deserve it. People with 3.9 GPAs will not get in but someone with a 3.2 does because their parent called and that parent had financial weight. Most of the people teaching classes, especially large lectures, were never interested in being teachers and they still hate it. As a research university, many of the instructors are researchers first and instructors second. You can really feel this in the hard sciences, where all they do is spew info at you without asking questions or deviating from the power point.

At least half of the girls in every class have gone to private school at some point and a lot of them think that it makes them better/smarter than public school kids. A lot of the sorority girls went to private schools, so good luck getting in if you weren't intensely prepared.

The science classes needed for pre-med are mostly weed-out classes that are unnecessarily difficult to get an A in, so if you're not pre-med but still need those classes, you face a frustrating road ahead.

If you like being spectacularly average/below average but think you're superior, go to mizzou. If you're a republican because of pure greed, racism, or your parents' views and not faith/morals or real belief in the policies, go to mizzou.

Rate my professor is your best friend. I've had teachers who were super into their subject so the 200-500 person lecture kept me interested and coming back for more, but I've also had tons of classes that bored me to tears because the person seemed to have little or no interest in the content or student understanding.I have been in two pre-health professions majors and I was given the opportunity to apply early to one. They lost my application and ultimately seemed to know little about the requirements for their own program. I'm transferring to a local college with a smaller student body and higher nursing exam pass rate to get my degree in nursing without having to deal with the biases and incompetencies of the admissions processes here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016