StudentsReview :: Mississippi State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Mississippi State University

Nov 24 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have hated the years I have spent at MSU. Teachers are racist! I have noticed that if you are not white, light skinned, or an athlete, teachers will devalue your grade. In the department of counseling and educational psychology, majority of the faculty are racist and are not willing to work with you. Don't inform them that you are a black student who is serious about his/her grade, they will really knock your grade down then. They assume all black people are stupid and ignorant. Yes, racism is still alive at MSU, it's just more hidden than ever. Entering this school as a black student, you are automatically a statistic. Best advice I can give is enter into the classrooms and act is if you are not a student who is concerned about his/her grades. Because once you show them you care, that is all they need. WORST SCHOOL EVER!!!!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
Feb 20 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Graphic Design major here. MSU has one of the BEST graphic design programs in the country. It is easily an SVA/Yale/Carnegie Mellon level education. I see MSU design work in magazines all over with work from SVA/SCAD/Tyler SOA etc. It is simply a top notch place for not just Graphic Design but all Arts & Design related majors. I simply cannot stress enough the quality of MSU's graphic design program.

I loved the graphic design department vibe. Everyone is very serious about it, as you have to compete in a portfolio review to get accepted. Everyone is judged on fundamentals of art and design so there are no students with bad fundamentals in design/drawing/painting/art/sculpture/photography. Many of the graphic design alumni go on to branch their career out into fine arts & illustration as well as graphic design. Despite the seriousness of the department, it was also a lot of fun. I laughed the most I ever had my entire life with my graphic design friends. The design labs were nearly always open and we treated Stafford as a second home having fun movie nights and all-nighter deals frequently as we simultaneously worked diligently to finish out projects.

The art/design department is a little insular and past my first semester I almost only saw other art kids the rest of my college experience (during class hours) but that was perfectly fine with me.

I got great help from all of the faculty, who were more than willing to go out of their way to help. Peter Bain, Jamie Mixon, Jeffery Haupt, Soon E Gogh, Brent Funderburk, Jude Landry, and many other faculty's teaching has a direct effect on everything I do at work today. One of the good things about MSU's faculty that differs from other design schools is that they never focus on teaching you a "style" or their own ideology but I found a healthy focus on what most would consider objective fundamental perfecting.

If I had to make any critique on the program is the lack of social media classes. Typically it is considered a completely different field, but professionally I am finding myself lumped into the social media specialist role. It is not a hard transition by any means, but it might have been a plus to have.

As far as Starkville, I really enjoyed it. I actually would not mind retiring there as it is a nice place to live in general. I grew up in Memphis so it was a nice break from the business/crime/lack of community. I am also Catholic and never found a community for my particular faith until Starkville. The friends I made in CSA were some of the best I ever made.

I'm not a huge partier but I felt pretty happy at Dave's Dark House Tavern, which had a pretty diverse crowd and an affordable menu/beer selection. I know that Starkville isn't the place that comes to mind when you think of drunken fun, but if you want that sort of thing it is definitely there.

I'm not a huge sports fan, either, but I didn't mind the SEC football insanity outside of taking my parking as soon in the week as Wednesday to Friday. This irritated a lot of students as it forced us to park in the nose bleeds and be tardy.

Starting Job: Graphic Designer - In House Preparedness: A Reputation: F
Feb 07 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My time at MSU hasn't been bad so far. Excellent tuition (I got a full ride, that's a plus) friendly faculty, and enough diversity of interests on campus to find people like you. Solid education in a good place. The downside is the small size of Starkville, so you'll probably find that weekends are somewhat barren.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017