StudentsReview :: The University of Mississippi - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Mississippi

I came here on a full scholarship (NationalQuite BrightPublic Policy
I came here on a full scholarship (National Merit + honors college). I think that to get everything that the school has to offer, you need to be part of the Honors College. That means you get smaller classes, free trips, an Honors building, and great professors. Dr. Melissa Bass (Public Policy) and Dr. Joe Atkins (Journalism/Honors) are great and I completely recommend them. DO NOT take math classes your first year -- you will likely get someone who can barely speak English. I had to drop a class because of this. I am also in the Lott Institute (Public Policy major), which helps a lot. It's super easy to get on the debate team if you want to -- the coach is very nice and all you have to do is go to the meetings! Plus, even as a freshman you get to go on at least one debate trip if your schedule allows it! The town is small but cute. A lot of the kids are rich and cliquish but you can find people to hang out with who are fairly down to earth. And the professors are great.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
Ole Miss was probably one of the bestBrightComputer Science
Ole Miss was probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I am a freshman girl from the north. I am not going to lie, I was kind of scared to go to ole miss originally because I thought all the girls were going to be snobby. This was, for the most part, not the case. I have met some of the best friends here, and I can honestly say, they are some of the best quality friends I have ever had. Yet, you can't expect to make friends at Ole Miss by sitting in your room skyping you high school friends. You really need to go out of your way to be social and go to parties. Also sorority life is hugeeeee. It seemed about 1/2 the people rush. Even if your against sorority life, I suggest that you at least give rush a chance, then make your decision. It is a great way to make friends and it is a lot of fun! The dress code at Ole Miss in one that I love, yet some of the GDIs feel is stupid. I gurantee you that if you try wearing "the uniform", you will learn to love it! Girls wear XL t-shirts that are huge with nike tempo shorts and nike shoes. I highly suggest you stock up on nike shorts and leggings before you attend ole miss. You will wear that every day. During football games, our school takes pride in dressing up ! We wear nice dresses (typically blue or red) with wedges or heels! That may seem dumb, but it is actually a lot of fun. Also when students go out at night to parties, they dress classy. They always wear heels! The food sucks! DO NOT BUY THE UNLIMITED MEAL PLAN!!!! Get the rebel 200. The unlimited onlygives you unlimited food at the JC, and i promise you that you will get sick of the JC fast and eat at the union a majority of the time. If you get the unlimited, you only get 50 meals at the union, but if you get the 200, you can eat all 200 at the union. So i truly suggest that. Yet, if your rushing, i honestly suggest you get the 150 or 100. But thats your call! Parking is good if your a freshman. I never have problems finding a spot right in front of dorm. If your a commuter, thats a different story... Dorm wise, i highly suggest crosby or stewart. They are closer to everything. The only one i dont suggest is hefley or guess. They are both kind of ghetto. The school is very racist, the blacks and whites don't really interact with each other. During rush , out of the 1200 girls that went through, maybe one girl was black? Only theta really accepts black people, but they honestly will accept anyone. You are pretty much guaranteed a bid somewhere as long as your GPA is above 3.0! I highly suggest ole miss and it is what you make of it! =)
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C
I visited ole miss during my junior yearBrightPreMed and Medical
I visited ole miss during my junior year of high school and i fell in love right away. i decided that it was the perfect school for me. even thouh i applied to othe schools in the SEC, when i got my acceptance letter from ole miss i completly disregarded the rest of them. my time at ole miss so far has been the best ive ever had. all of the students and faculty members are super friendly and helpful and very approachable. while some of the stereo types of ole miss students are true..such as most of the population being rich white kids, others are not. i have not met one student that as not willing to go out of their way to help me out. plus ole miss has some killer parties :) i think everyone should at least visit ole miss once and experience it for themselves!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015