StudentsReview :: William Carey University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

William Carey University

William Carey provided me with a great educationOther
William Carey provided me with a great education that allowed me to prepare myself for the career path I chose following graduation. This being said, this is one of the most discriminatory schools I've ever attended and I attended several schools with issues regarding race, sex, politics, sexual orientation, and religion.

The administration picks and chooses who they want to educate and if you do not fit their "perfect baptist" mold, they treat you as if you were a discrimination or a stain on the earth and make sure you're aware of it. They'll push you out, talk to you however they want, and even tell you how to dress, yet they have the right to call themselves a "Christian" university. They fired a teacher 2 years ago for no reason at all and really, the main reason was because they didn't like how he taught, yet he was one of the best teachers the school had. Quite frankly, he was one of the best teachers they had left.

Some of the teachers highly discriminate against homosexuality, and quite honestly, that's disgusting to me. A teacher I had for roughly 3 and a half years would not even acknowledge a student if he knew they were gay, and yet he claimed to be a "Christian."

Dr. King, the president, also gives a speech at fall convocation stating "you can't use 12 words around campus, and if you decide you use those words, you can go to USM down the street." News Flash, Dr. King, there are 37 words that begin with the letter A which are considered profane, might wanna get a dictionary and re-write your convocation speech no one actually listens to

On top of this, their disciplinary groups do NOT attempt to figure out the real facts of any given dispute between students at all. Once someone is accused or the word "bullying" is thrown out by any student, the person accused of said "bullying" is almost immediately borderline harassed for what they may or may not have done.

This is a sad excuse for a "university" and while yes, there are certain departments who have their great students, and amazing teachers, the school as a whole is probably one of the worst schools I ever attended in my entire educational experience. Yeah, the price of the tuition isn't bad, but the harassment you receive from any of the higher administrators and the way they tell students who are RAs and housing directors, etc. how to treat you isn't worth your time. Go somewhere else where they will accept you for who you are and how you want to live your life.

The labs are dirty, disorganized.BrightBiology
The labs are dirty, disorganized...my high school laboratory was better equipped. I had a professor who did not know how to use a piece of equipment in the lab, the same person that made comments to a hispanic student that she must be illegal if she speaks spanish. He allowed the softball girls to blatantly cheat on his tests. In another course the teacher said "and stuff like that" every five seconds without actually explaining the material, then for the last 4 chapters the students literally presented them to the class and wrote their own test questions. I retained little to no knowledge from that course. I had another professor for a religion course that allowed blatant bigotry and hatred to be spewed about in a public forum...in Hattiesburg. The staff and facility on Tradition campus is so much better. Lynn Singletery from Tradition, Marc Daniels and Michael McNatt from the Hattiesburg campus were all very knowledgeable and truly wanted their students to learn and retain information. There is also no where to park. It is a dangerous neighborhood to be walking around in, students should be able to park inside campus! The building is crumbling, and there is asbestos. The restrooms smell so strongly of rotten tampons it is unbelievable. I have never once been able to get any of my devices to connect to the wifi, constantly shutting off saying the network is unsafe. Also, it is so cold in there that sometimes it's warmer outside than inside the buildings. A faculty member told me they were not sure if any one knew how to turn the heat on, or if the building even had heat. If you want me to sit there for a 4-5 hour class with only a ten minute break, it better be above 60 degrees in there. Class availability is a huge issue- I have been trying to get into a physics class since I have been there and finally got into physics 1 but the professor got fired. Then the university couldn't find a replacement so I guess he came back. I failed. They only offer certain classes at certain times of year so you may have to wait months to get into the class you need. And don't expect to be advised. I have met multiple students who didn't know a thing about filling out a degree plan until it was too late. I was lucky that a professor who cared took an interest in me and became my advisor. Financial aid is another mess. I took out a loan with Sallie Mae, approved and ready to go, then William Carey said I was overborrowing and I was unable to get it. I am a single mother commuting 1.5 hours to and from school, I can't work a job and go to school at the same time. I did it in the beginning but I'm in upper level courses now! I can't pay my rent, pay childcare, buy food, pay for gas etc etc on the amount of financial aid they allow me to get. The woman in the financial aid office told me that financial aid is not meant to assist students with living expenses. I was dumbfounded. I had to apply for food stamps and welfare. A note: Wells Fargo won't loan to students at this school, and William Carey does not offer Perkins Loans either.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Friendliness: B-, Education Quality: F
Because William Carey is a Christian university, aSuper BrilliantEnglish
Because William Carey is a Christian university, a lot of the students there completely shut themselves off from any viewpoints that differ from their own Baptist perspectives. There is no room for any discussion that could possibly be deemed "liberal" in any way. A fulfilling college experience should expose students to people who hold different views and come from different walks of life. Learning to accept others and share opinions and beliefs respectfully, not defensively, is something college students must learn in order to thrive in the real world, and William Carey absolutely lacks an atmosphere conducive to this kind of learning. On the other hand, most of the professors at William Carey are top-notch. They are definitely professional, but also interact with their students on a really deep level. They definitely care about all of their students and are willing to help out.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012