StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

All this gay ass

Jul 31 2014Unknown
All this gay ass university is, is a bunch of glorified bull shit hills and there isn't even a single strip club so I can get my dick hard.

I love this school

Aug 13 2014Finance
I love this school. I always heard that when you find the right school for yourself you would feel it, and I did not believe that until I walked on this campus. A cool fact about Appalachian is that it has a very small grad school so almost all of your classes are taught by a professor. It has always seemed to me that the staff really care about my education. In My intro to Geology class we had 90 or so kids and by the end of it the professor knew all of our names. Even the chancellor took time out of his day to ask how everything was going when I would pass him.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B

The student body at ASU is very interesting

May 04 2014Education
The student body at ASU is very interesting. There are about four groups of people.
1. Small Towners; all from the same place and only really associate with other small towners. Have found them to be a bit close minded to anyone not like them.

2. Rich Greeks; Most are from the rich suburbs of Charlotte. Some are very nice and sweet, others almost insufferable. Greek life is 6% at ASU yet somehow it feels like 50%. I suppose it's because they travel in packs.

3. Hippies/Alternative; This group absolutely loves to be "different." Most are art/music majors and spend most of their day playing music, slacklining (tightrope walking) and getting high.

4. The rest of us. I can be hard to find these people, but with a little work it is very rewarding
OTHER RANDOM TIPS/THOUGHTS:

- Don't hesitate to do outdoorsie things. I didn't take advantage of the great surroundings until spring and really regret it.

- There are some pretty close minded people who have no problem using words like n***** or f*****. "That's so gay!" is still funny here apparently.

- Little to no racial diversity
- Don't distress if you get one of the older, not-very-nice dorms. I was put in Coltrane which was meant to house one person per room and has no air conditioning. However, the crappy rooms meant we hung out in the lobby and I made many of my friends there.

- Utilize safe ride
- Getting to parties is very hard as there is no greek row and you cannot walk to house parties. "Beepers" are random students who will ferry you to a party for two bucks. You can normally find a phone number on facebook.

- Go down suicide hill (below the LLC, above the music building) when it snows.- Boone is breathtakingly beautiful with many great hiking spots.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F