StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

App State is the best school in theBrightOther
App State is the best school in the universe. The town is perfect to host a college atmosphere- small enough to be a small mountain town but big enough to stay consistently exciting...we even get some pretty big bands like SOJA roll through here on occasion. I have never met more amazing people than I have here- the students and the locals are welcoming and friendly. Bar scene is awesome- even though there's only 7 or so bars in town, we know how to keep it exciting and have a good time. And, we're in the mountains. Be prepared for extreme weather and walking uphill both ways to class. When it's nice, it's typical to take a hike or go swim at the river- outdoor activities are endless here. Nestled in the mountains, we are close to many rivers, lakes, and trails. Nothing beats living in the mountains- flannel and chacos are practically wardrobe requirements here and the town has a really cool laid-back hippie vibe. In my three years here, I have never met a single person who wasn't happy in Boone. This place is truly amazing...I love it here!!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Friendliness: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
Let me start by stating this fact.Quite BrightComputer Science
Let me start by stating this fact. I did not want to dislike this school, sadly I do. I was very excited to become a student here but the financial aid, housing and orientation threw those warm fuzzy feelings out the window. I was notified about a week before orientation that I would not get a dorm. This left me and my family in a rush to find a place for me to live, thus, we got ripped off. On orientation my schedule had been dropped, and my advisor asked me "why did you drop all your classes?", well I didn't but they did push me into random classes that had maybe one seat open. Moving on, my first two weeks down here NO ONE in financial aid could explain to me why I did not have my money yet. I attended my first two weeks here with no books, and NO money. Lucky for me my parents helped me pay my first month of rent. The instructors here are MORE than willing to help, thats a plus, but they do not challenge you. The people here are followers, accept that. If you are not a big fish from a little pond - AVOID THIS SCHOOL. Everyone here is trying to be "cool" or a "hipster". Drinking is the favorite pastime here and thats about it. There is a Bus system here, but plan for the bus to not come. I should have went to UNC Chapel Hill. If you are looking for greek life, DO NOT COME HERE. NO FRAT HOUSES - BEWARE. I honestly feel trapped so I travel back home every weekend.. because bar hopping or drinking with underage kids is not my scene. If you like to smoke pot, come on down, hippy types are everywhere.. so much.. that you will see them not even wearing shoes to class. If you do not like starting a conversation with the opening line " I got so f***ed up last night" then reconsider your application here. If you take school seriously, work hard, and get things done.. prepare to be one of a few. Most kids here are too busy on facebook during class to even be bothered to take notes. Everyone here seems to be on holiday, focusing more on skiing than actual book work. If you've made it this far into my review then maybe I can save you from a mistake. I was thrilled about coming here until it happened. It is such a shame, but I am going to get out of here ASAP. The reputation of this being a party school is right on point.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Having completed two years at Appalachian, I canQuite BrightFinance
Having completed two years at Appalachian, I can say with full confidence that this was a complete mistake to come here. The schools academics are extremely easy, offering no real room to progress as a student. The social dynamics on and off of campus are laughable. Maybe it's coming from a big city, but Boone doesn't have much of anything to offer to those who desire anything more than returning to their hometowns in a dead end job. There's little culture or diversity out of small town kids and the deluded Greek organizations that don't realize they're a joke compared to other universities. There's no real opportunities to engage in anything particularly interesting, with a poor theatre, music, and general arts department cutting out much of the students abilities for self expression. Professors are fine, albeit pandering as they seemingly simplify material to its purest form. I really didn't want to hate this school, I loved what I saw of it back in high school and it isn't an awful school itself, but the community does nothing for me.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017