StudentsReview ™ :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

I know I've heard the "Business School is

Dec 26 2013Business - Management and Administration
I know I've heard the "Business School is up and coming" and how they've played that song and dance for over 30 years now. I know older people that went here and that's what they were telling them back in the day, so when is it going to be UP and finally IT? It seems to be the thing to say.

I saw quite a few grad students teaching introductory classes in Business. The business school was NOT easy. I will say that. Everything was put on the BELL CURVE, I guess to wash people out. Quite frankly, to me, the exams/tests were not based on what was "taught" but what you had an aptitude to figure out. And there were people there that could figure out what they had been previously taught(?) and/or could just figure out stuff WITHOUT being taught the material---that was not me.

To be honest, the students may be able to do the academics, but are very narrow minded and basically reflect the areas they come from, which essentially is an hour or two away, someone even used more derogatory terms, which I wont repeat, but basically agree this is a very narrow minded student body.

I just saw a lot of hatefulness towards people that were not like themselves, very clique-ish, harassment of students--sad to say at this level of school. There was a gay person and a lesbian both on my hall and they were absolutely harassed off of the hall. To me, it just wasn't right.

Quite a few, not everybody, the students mainly hang out with people they went to high school with and "don't like" anyone that's not from where they are, that they haven't known all their life. Just very narrow minded towards anyone not from these small western North Carolina towns. I actually had a guy on my suite that thought "Saturday nights were for fighting." Is this high school? or middle school? But, that's some of the mentality you will find here. A lot of Greeks pretending that they had "arrived" that they were now something elite.

I didn't see a lot of social activities, nothing to really stimulate your mind, nothing that brings in a different point of view and with that said, perhaps the students aren't really interested in that? not sure.

I will say that for the students that are from an hour or two away, most from small towns, they love it here. So I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I was raised in a university town--not this one, so perhaps my expectations and experiences were quite different.

I think they had said at one point 95% of the student body were the first ones to go to college in their familes. So good for them. I hope they achieve their goals.

I actually worked at a restaurant in Boone, and the people were as good as GOLD, they were what Christians should be, they would do anything in the world for you, no joke, just the best hearted, salt of the earth people. HOWEVER, I know many students that have had nothing but disappointment/harassment from the local people, businesses and the police etc... We like your money, but....

The mountains are beautiful, and if you like the mountains and snow-skiing this is a great place. If you don't like snow, they have it 4 months of the year, SERIOUSLY think about that. Snow boots, scarfs, tobaggans, coat, sweater, flannel shirts, all for roughly 4 months. I even know students that went to school FALL SEMESTER, did not attend for SPRING semester because of the weather, and then ATTENDED SUMMER semester.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F

Posting these comments I would only want to

Dec 23 2013Business - Management and Administration
Posting these comments I would only want to help someone, however, I have to honestly say this was a very narrow minded experience for me. The vast majority of students come from small North Carolina towns, where like half of their high school comes with them, they eat/party/room with one another and pretty much go back to their small towns after they graduate, never really going beyond that. That's fine, but at least you know now what you will face.

I didn't see a lot of acceptance of anyone unlike themselves and that includes anyone different in race/socio-economic status/small town. I found the people quite frankly, quite hateful at times, lacking social skills. So if you're not from basically one of the small towns from INTERSTATE 85 going WEST, I would put some serious thought into whether to go here or not.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: F

Academics - I've had a great experience at

Sep 14 2013Political Science
Academics - I've had a great experience at Appalachian so far. The Poli Sci department is great, and I've found the professors to be approachable even though many of the classes (especially in the first two years) are large lectures. They have all been extremely knowledgeable. I'm currently planning a study abroad trip to Egypt for next year and will be able to pay the same price I would for a semester at App. The biggest negative is that the gen ed program takes a lot of credit hours and the requirements can be very difficult to understand.

On-campus Activites - I've had the opportunity to be involved in a lot of campus activities like the International Relations Association and ACT (community service). There are always bands coming to play on campus as well as $1 movies every weekend. There's always either a play, dance performance, or music concert happening. There are also some great free public speakers. By far the most popular event on campus is football games, which get really crazy even when the team isn't doing so well (like this year).

Parking/Transportation - Parking at App and Boone in general can be a real pain in the ass, especially for freshmen who can only park at an off-campus lot. Fortunately Boone has a totally FREE bus network called AppalCart. AppalCart can get pretty crowded and usually is way off-schedule (because traffic in Boone is ALWAYS terrible), but it can take you pretty much anywhere you need to go.

Housing - It depends on luck mostly. Some of the dorms are old and hot, some are newly renovated. All of the freshmen dorms rooms are really small unless you happen to be an honors student.

Health/Safety - I've never felt unsafe on the ASU campus. There are emergency phones everywhere and at night you can call SafeRide to take you back to your dorm if you don't want to have to walk there in the dark. Health Services is really helpful, just make sure you call-in before going unless it's an emergency, it'll actually get you in quicker than if you just walk in. It's easy to stay fit because you can use the Student Recreation Center or the smaller Quinn Rec Center for free.

Food - Central is pretty good for college food at least. They have lots of vegetarian options which made my decision to become a vegetarian a lot easier. The Student Union has a McAlister's (which is an awesome deli, for those who don't know). Don't eat at Trivette unless you're there to use the waffle maker. Off-campus - Boone is a great college town with a lot of great bars and restaurants right near campus on King Street. It's also the BEST if you like outdoor activities. I got my phys-ed credit by taking skiing class. There are places to hike, ski/snowboard, camp, or jump off waterfalls all not too far from campus.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016