StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

Oct 25 2010History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
For my personal taste and dislike of bright lights and big cities, App State is the only choice for me. If you are into the night life and clubs, App State would not be your choice. It is a quiet place with a lot of diverse interest. Myself and others take advantage of the hiking, swimming in the falls, the snow season, playing bluegrass, the performing arts is always present in numerous genres. I like the traditions and cultural of the mountains. ASU has some partying, but I like the location of the university deep in the mountains of Boone.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F
Sep 14 2010History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I really enjoyed my time at Appalachian State University. I was successful, made great friends, and had a wonderful time.

The campus is beautiful, but extremely hilly. There's always a hill or stairs that you have to walk up or down. If you're not particular fit, this could pose a problem the first few weeks there. There is usually construction going on somewhere on campus as well.

If you don't like snow, stay away. It snows here (A LOT). Some winters are worst than others, but there is always snow every winter and it seems like it doesn't stop. I concur with the person who previously reviewed -- it's FREEZING outside and HOT inside. So annoying.

I think all traditional students are required to live on campus their first year. I was actually one of the few who lived on campus all four years -- we ended up in the only four bedroom/two bath apartments/dorms on campus. I highly recommend living off campus though. Living on campus is more convenient, but you don't really get a feel for Boone if you're on campus all the time. I didn't really experience all that Boone and the surroundings had to offer until I started dating a boy who went to school there (after I had graduated and moved). If you like hiking, there are tons of hiking trails. There are a lot of food options as well -- try Capones in downtown for pizza (soooooo good) -- but obviously not as many as you would find in a larger town or city.

I was one of those students who went out to house parties on Friday and Saturday nights, but worked and studied all the other nights. I only went to the bars probably three or four times in the four years I was there. There really wasn't much to them. I think the level of party really depends on what kind of people you hang out with. My roommates NEVER went out or partied, but I had friends outside of them who would throw parties where we'd stay up until 6 AM and watch the sunrise when we weren't passed out (but not blacked out or anything like that). I'm sure the party level is the same with any other NC State school. Overall I had a balanced time at Appalachian State University. I've known people who hated here, and people who loved it here. I think it just depends on the individual student.

4th Year Female -- Class 2007
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Innovation: C
Apr 26 2010Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you're looking for challenging academics and broadening horizons, don't come here. If you're looking for nice people, helpful professors, and beautiful scenery, you'll be happy. If you're looking for drugs and hippie pseudo-philosophy, you'll be super happy-- but there is definitely a sizable student population outside of that stereotype.Boone doesn't have much of a nightlife, and that should be obvious upon your first visit here-- quit bitching. The natural surroundings provide more than enough entertainment for people who know how to find it.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012