StudentsReview ™ :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

squeal like a pig

Nov 10 2009Undecided
squeal like a pig

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
so so called diversity what a fucking joke
welcome to the dirty south
1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: B, Individual Value: F

ASU is the college for me

Oct 29 2009History/Histories (art history/etc.)
ASU is the college for me. If you are into bright lights and big cities, I would not recommend ASU to you. I have made numerous friends with students and professors. I attended several colleges for a semester here and there trying to find my grove. The moment I stepped on ASU campus, I immediately knew ASU is the place I belong and was looking for.

The history and Appalachian Studies/Appalachian Music departments and professors are awesome. Where can you attend college and study and listen to the great traditional music of the mountains? From country music to bluegrass; ASU has it all. Not counting the wonderful bands of country/bluegrass music and folk dances that ASU offers. I think the reason some students give ASU a bad rating, it is not in their culture and blood to be in the mountains. They are right when they say there is not a lot to do, but it all depends on what you are looking for. Too me, getting out in these mountains, smelling the clean mountain air, hike, fish. swim in the dams, skiing, what more to life is there?! I have taken some challenging classes, and the results of my work was A's. I guess my love for the mountains and the natural surrounding makes me feel at home. I now have purchased land in Boone and built a log cabin. Life can't be be any better. Several of my close friends that I brought to Boone for a visit, loved the college and the surroundings, and did not want to leave this place. My best very best friend would like to attend ASU also. ASU is like all colleges.You have your party and hippie crowd, but its not me and I don't have to hang around them.

The new rule at ASU, if you drop more than FOUR classes during your tenure,(not counting drop/add week) you will permanently be removed as a student, and cannot return to ASU. At other colleges, I have seen so many students drop classes, and its ridiculous. I hope to be a professor at ASU in a few years.The work is always challenging, and I love spending hours at the new 45 million Belk library. There is a new student Union Center, and a new large athletic facilities with several Olympic swimming pools. ASU is always building new buildings or remodeling some centers.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F

I got in to Appalachian before Moore and

Oct 04 2009Computer Science
I got in to Appalachian before Moore and company started winning national titles, and back then it was considered something of an underrated, blue collar school where folks who couldn't get into the UNCs and Wake Forests of the world went to receive a nonetheless high-quality education. Thanks to a series of aggressive revamping and renovation projects around campus and yes, the success of the football program, a lot of that has changed. App has increased in prestige and has joined the ranks of first choice schools; it is no longer a second-tier "safety school" for aspiring Tar Heels or Deacons. The academics get mixed reviews-it really depends on your major, and you should thoroughly research your classes and professors before you make a decision. Like every university, there are some professors that you should absolutely avoid.Appalachian's expansion, of course, has come at a price. The school is becoming somewhat overcrowded and the infrastructure of Boone is massively overburdened. The traffic and parking situation is just awful. Football is life here, and campus is virtually unnavigable by car on Saturdays due to an ocean of fans and tailgaters. The type of person that is attracted to App has changed quite a bit as well. Other reviews are correct in that there has been an influx of pretentious, arrogant students alongside wealthier individuals who come to Boone to complain about the lack of night life and limited social scene as if they expected a tiny mountain town to be a Durham or Chapel Hill. Outside of the university, Boone is purely small-town USA, and if that sounds like hell to you, then you should apply somewhere else. The natural beauty is inspiring, it is a quiet, relatively safe place to live, off-campus housing is reasonably priced and fairly abundant, and the Blue Ridge Parkway is five minutes out of town. I'm going to hate leaving this place.
4th Year Male -- Class 2009