StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

Let me start by stating this fact.Quite BrightComputer Science
Let me start by stating this fact. I did not want to dislike this school, sadly I do. I was very excited to become a student here but the financial aid, housing and orientation threw those warm fuzzy feelings out the window. I was notified about a week before orientation that I would not get a dorm. This left me and my family in a rush to find a place for me to live, thus, we got ripped off. On orientation my schedule had been dropped, and my advisor asked me "why did you drop all your classes?", well I didn't but they did push me into random classes that had maybe one seat open. Moving on, my first two weeks down here NO ONE in financial aid could explain to me why I did not have my money yet. I attended my first two weeks here with no books, and NO money. Lucky for me my parents helped me pay my first month of rent. The instructors here are MORE than willing to help, thats a plus, but they do not challenge you. The people here are followers, accept that. If you are not a big fish from a little pond - AVOID THIS SCHOOL. Everyone here is trying to be "cool" or a "hipster". Drinking is the favorite pastime here and thats about it. There is a Bus system here, but plan for the bus to not come. I should have went to UNC Chapel Hill. If you are looking for greek life, DO NOT COME HERE. NO FRAT HOUSES - BEWARE. I honestly feel trapped so I travel back home every weekend.. because bar hopping or drinking with underage kids is not my scene. If you like to smoke pot, come on down, hippy types are everywhere.. so much.. that you will see them not even wearing shoes to class. If you do not like starting a conversation with the opening line " I got so f***ed up last night" then reconsider your application here. If you take school seriously, work hard, and get things done.. prepare to be one of a few. Most kids here are too busy on facebook during class to even be bothered to take notes. Everyone here seems to be on holiday, focusing more on skiing than actual book work. If you've made it this far into my review then maybe I can save you from a mistake. I was thrilled about coming here until it happened. It is such a shame, but I am going to get out of here ASAP. The reputation of this being a party school is right on point.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Having completed two years at Appalachian, I canQuite BrightFinance
Having completed two years at Appalachian, I can say with full confidence that this was a complete mistake to come here. The schools academics are extremely easy, offering no real room to progress as a student. The social dynamics on and off of campus are laughable. Maybe it's coming from a big city, but Boone doesn't have much of anything to offer to those who desire anything more than returning to their hometowns in a dead end job. There's little culture or diversity out of small town kids and the deluded Greek organizations that don't realize they're a joke compared to other universities. There's no real opportunities to engage in anything particularly interesting, with a poor theatre, music, and general arts department cutting out much of the students abilities for self expression. Professors are fine, albeit pandering as they seemingly simplify material to its purest form. I really didn't want to hate this school, I loved what I saw of it back in high school and it isn't an awful school itself, but the community does nothing for me.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Scholastic Success: A, Surrounding City: F
Short and Sweet: It's a REDNECK SCHOOL.AverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Short and Sweet: It's a REDNECK SCHOOL.
I hesitated to write a "REAL" Review of ASU because I knew it would require being honest. I would say the vast majority of the students are basically redneck and I'm talking high percentages. These are the wannabe's from their high schools, the big fish in their little tiny ponds in North Carolina. I saw only a few from out of state--so little to no diversity even from that.If you're thinking of ASU, this isn't UNC, most of the students do not come from professional/educated homes, generally a redneck mentality, they all think and act alike. Most of the students do not come from homes where a parent has a degree (confirmed). That's not a putdown, but the mentality here is extremely close-minded. I just hope others don't make the same mistake I did by attending here. If you come from a home with educated parents, I seriously doubt you're going to have a lot in common with the students-just being honest.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014