StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

The student body at ASU is very interesting.Quite BrightEducation
The student body at ASU is very interesting. There are about four groups of people.
1. Small Towners; all from the same place and only really associate with other small towners. Have found them to be a bit close minded to anyone not like them.

2. Rich Greeks; Most are from the rich suburbs of Charlotte. Some are very nice and sweet, others almost insufferable. Greek life is 6% at ASU yet somehow it feels like 50%. I suppose it's because they travel in packs.

3. Hippies/Alternative; This group absolutely loves to be "different." Most are art/music majors and spend most of their day playing music, slacklining (tightrope walking) and getting high.

4. The rest of us. I can be hard to find these people, but with a little work it is very rewarding
OTHER RANDOM TIPS/THOUGHTS:

- Don't hesitate to do outdoorsie things. I didn't take advantage of the great surroundings until spring and really regret it.

- There are some pretty close minded people who have no problem using words like n***** or f*****. "That's so gay!" is still funny here apparently.

- Little to no racial diversity
- Don't distress if you get one of the older, not-very-nice dorms. I was put in Coltrane which was meant to house one person per room and has no air conditioning. However, the crappy rooms meant we hung out in the lobby and I made many of my friends there.

- Utilize safe ride
- Getting to parties is very hard as there is no greek row and you cannot walk to house parties. "Beepers" are random students who will ferry you to a party for two bucks. You can normally find a phone number on facebook.

- Go down suicide hill (below the LLC, above the music building) when it snows.- Boone is breathtakingly beautiful with many great hiking spots.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F
I know I've heard the "Business School isNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
I know I've heard the "Business School is up and coming" and how they've played that song and dance for over 30 years now. I know older people that went here and that's what they were telling them back in the day, so when is it going to be UP and finally IT? It seems to be the thing to say.

I saw quite a few grad students teaching introductory classes in Business. The business school was NOT easy. I will say that. Everything was put on the BELL CURVE, I guess to wash people out. Quite frankly, to me, the exams/tests were not based on what was "taught" but what you had an aptitude to figure out. And there were people there that could figure out what they had been previously taught(?) and/or could just figure out stuff WITHOUT being taught the material---that was not me.

To be honest, the students may be able to do the academics, but are very narrow minded and basically reflect the areas they come from, which essentially is an hour or two away, someone even used more derogatory terms, which I wont repeat, but basically agree this is a very narrow minded student body.

I just saw a lot of hatefulness towards people that were not like themselves, very clique-ish, harassment of students--sad to say at this level of school. There was a gay person and a lesbian both on my hall and they were absolutely harassed off of the hall. To me, it just wasn't right.

Quite a few, not everybody, the students mainly hang out with people they went to high school with and "don't like" anyone that's not from where they are, that they haven't known all their life. Just very narrow minded towards anyone not from these small western North Carolina towns. I actually had a guy on my suite that thought "Saturday nights were for fighting." Is this high school? or middle school? But, that's some of the mentality you will find here. A lot of Greeks pretending that they had "arrived" that they were now something elite.

I didn't see a lot of social activities, nothing to really stimulate your mind, nothing that brings in a different point of view and with that said, perhaps the students aren't really interested in that? not sure.

I will say that for the students that are from an hour or two away, most from small towns, they love it here. So I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I was raised in a university town--not this one, so perhaps my expectations and experiences were quite different.

I think they had said at one point 95% of the student body were the first ones to go to college in their familes. So good for them. I hope they achieve their goals.

I actually worked at a restaurant in Boone, and the people were as good as GOLD, they were what Christians should be, they would do anything in the world for you, no joke, just the best hearted, salt of the earth people. HOWEVER, I know many students that have had nothing but disappointment/harassment from the local people, businesses and the police etc... We like your money, but....

The mountains are beautiful, and if you like the mountains and snow-skiing this is a great place. If you don't like snow, they have it 4 months of the year, SERIOUSLY think about that. Snow boots, scarfs, tobaggans, coat, sweater, flannel shirts, all for roughly 4 months. I even know students that went to school FALL SEMESTER, did not attend for SPRING semester because of the weather, and then ATTENDED SUMMER semester.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F
Posting these comments I would only want toQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Posting these comments I would only want to help someone, however, I have to honestly say this was a very narrow minded experience for me. The vast majority of students come from small North Carolina towns, where like half of their high school comes with them, they eat/party/room with one another and pretty much go back to their small towns after they graduate, never really going beyond that. That's fine, but at least you know now what you will face.

I didn't see a lot of acceptance of anyone unlike themselves and that includes anyone different in race/socio-economic status/small town. I found the people quite frankly, quite hateful at times, lacking social skills. So if you're not from basically one of the small towns from INTERSTATE 85 going WEST, I would put some serious thought into whether to go here or not.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2017