StudentsReview :: Appalachian State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

Appalachian State University

Having completed two years at Appalachian, I canQuite BrightFinance
Having completed two years at Appalachian, I can say with full confidence that this was a complete mistake to come here. The schools academics are extremely easy, offering no real room to progress as a student. The social dynamics on and off of campus are laughable. Maybe it's coming from a big city, but Boone doesn't have much of anything to offer to those who desire anything more than returning to their hometowns in a dead end job. There's little culture or diversity out of small town kids and the deluded Greek organizations that don't realize they're a joke compared to other universities. There's no real opportunities to engage in anything particularly interesting, with a poor theatre, music, and general arts department cutting out much of the students abilities for self expression. Professors are fine, albeit pandering as they seemingly simplify material to its purest form. I really didn't want to hate this school, I loved what I saw of it back in high school and it isn't an awful school itself, but the community does nothing for me.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Scholastic Success: A, Surrounding City: F
I love this school.Quite BrightFinance
I love this school. I always heard that when you find the right school for yourself you would feel it, and I did not believe that until I walked on this campus. A cool fact about Appalachian is that it has a very small grad school so almost all of your classes are taught by a professor. It has always seemed to me that the staff really care about my education. In My intro to Geology class we had 90 or so kids and by the end of it the professor knew all of our names. Even the chancellor took time out of his day to ask how everything was going when I would pass him.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
I decided to write one of these reviewsQuite BrightFinance
I decided to write one of these reviews because they aided me much in my college search. I decided that I needed to re-pay the site. This review is specifically geared toward Northern out-of state students.

I'll give you some background on myself, I'm a freshman form out-of state, a northern state in particular. I came to App and was not worried about the out-of state to in-state ratio. I had gotten into the University of South Carolina and almost attended, looking back that would have been a better school for me.

Pros: -Great Faculty, that's the only thing that is keeping me here, I'm finishing the year.
-Boone, awesome college town, roads are well maintained, police are very lenient.
-Mountains, mountains are amazing. Great Mountain culture.
-Resources, awesome library, databases, good food, great gyms, bus that runs to Charlotte and surrounding towns for small fee.

-Clubs, tons of clubs and organizations,
Cons: -Student body, the student body used to be one of rugged mountaineer-like people. That's what I expected when I came here. I was wrong. However, this place is a dumping ground for wealthy, snooty kids form Charlotte, or at least that's how it comes off. NOT EVERYONE HERE IS BAD. It just appears that the Greek influence on the school is increasing sharply year by year, as this school shifts its student body. What I have heard, and what I was not aware of, is that everyone from N.C. goes to App. It's the school that everyone goes to when they graduate, every high school has one. It's very easy to meet people here, it's very very hard to make friends. I'm a pretty social person, I'm kind, I'm not over-bearing, and yet it's very hard to make friends. I've been very out-going here and it hasn't reciprocated. There are 3 groups of people at App: Greek, friends from your high school, and lonely mountain stoners. So essential, if you don't know people here and don't join a Greek organization, your social life will suffer.

-Social, the social life here is excellent. There are tons of parties, triple keggers, and other fun stuff. Problem is most of these events are held by Fraternities, or off-campus houses. That is fine, but if you have no way of finding out where the parties are, or who's having them, then you don't go and you have nothing to do. Usually, you won't find out this information because everyone is out doing there own thing.

-Academics, coming form the North, easy. If you like being challenged go somewhere else. Although the school's reputation is progressing, it is still no where near UNC, USC, or Clemson.

-Business School, like the academics it is up and coming. Everyone that I have met here that is a business major has been either drunk or high when I was talking to them. It gives the impression that people who don't want to work hard are in the business school. It seems that everyone picks business just because they need a major.

-Dorms, can be either awful or great. I'm on the west side, the dorms are terrible. Mine is smaller than a Federal Prison cell. When you sign away your housing agreement you sign away your right to sue the school. It's almost as wide as my arm-span, and I'm 5'11.

This will be my last piece of advice. If you're from out-of state, do not hesitate to come here because of this review. The school just isn't right for me, I want a great social life and a school with better academics. Everyone says college was, "their best years," I don't feel that way down here. I think I had more fun in high school drinking with my buddies. If you come down here GET INVOLVED. You will not meet people unless you join a Greek organization, or join 20-30 clubs. Personally, I feel like if I have to join a Greek organization, or spend every last second trying to get involved just to meet people, maybe I am at the wrong school. I'm finishing the year here. App's an awesome school, I really wish I liked it more. It's a shame, some things in life you just can't force.Good luck in all you future endeavors.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014